IGNORED

Cmart and Rev's Top 30 Intellivision Variations

cmart604

Necro'ing this thread because we don't talk enough about weird variants lately. Also because I've reached a depth of variant collecting that surprises even me. One thing I casually collect (ie: only when I stumble upon them pretty cheap) is single-game handhelds, including the old electro-mechanical ones (had several as a kid, so...). I only have a few dozen, but it's a neat collection to poke at from time to time.

Today I picked up a "spare" of Tomy's Digital Derby at a garage sale. Figured I'd shelve it for now, until I noticed - it's a case variant. They actually went and re-did the case for the bloody game. 2 different countries of manufacture (HK, Singapore) as well. And it's not like I'm looking at the U.S. vs Canadian versions - both have bilingual instructions on the back! So they actually re-tooled the physical game during its life. As far as I can tell, all of the mechanical and display parts are identical, it's just a case mold variant.

Take that, cmart! (I have absolutely NO idea what kind of forum exists that tracks this level of obscure variant collecting, but I'm sure it's out there...)

Lol! Pics or it didn't happen! :)

Necro'ing this thread because we don't talk enough about weird variants lately. Also because I've reached a depth of variant collecting that surprises even me. One thing I casually collect (ie: only when I stumble upon them pretty cheap) is single-game handhelds, including the old electro-mechanical ones (had several as a kid, so...). I only have a few dozen, but it's a neat collection to poke at from time to time.

Today I picked up a "spare" of Tomy's Digital Derby at a garage sale. Figured I'd shelve it for now, until I noticed - it's a case variant. They actually went and re-did the case for the bloody game. 2 different countries of manufacture (HK, Singapore) as well. And it's not like I'm looking at the U.S. vs Canadian versions - both have bilingual instructions on the back! So they actually re-tooled the physical game during its life. As far as I can tell, all of the mechanical and display parts are identical, it's just a case mold variant.

Take that, cmart! (I have absolutely NO idea what kind of forum exists that tracks this level of obscure variant collecting, but I'm sure it's out there...)

The handheld museum site is the closest i have ever found for variants of handhelds. They have a lot but not sure if everything.

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Tomy/Derby.htm

I still have mine from when I was a kid and still take it out and play on occasion. lol loved that game.

The handheld museum site is the closest i have ever found for variants of handhelds. They have a lot but not sure if everything.

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Tomy/Derby.htm

Yup! That page has the 2 case variants right up top.

(This is all part of my secret plan to drive cmart insane - I think there are endless variants when you add in region/language packaging as well)

• Like 1

(This is all part of my secret plan to drive cmart insane - I think there are endless variants when you add in region/language packaging as well)

Drive him insane? Most of us think he is insane already.

Speaking of variations, please tell me you guys are aware of this: I just noticed variant overlays from my 2 Flashbacks. There are many that have color variations similar to the original batches (red vs orange in Crown of Kings, for example), but Astrosmash is crazy. One, from batch 08/2014, came with a solid black background. The other, batch 11/2014, has the "proper" blue/grey/green striping.

I also noticed that no one has registered an 11/2014 in Rev's serial number database. Allow me to be the first! It's still IN460, picked up from TRU. Also boo on all of you for not registering your CGE numbered units. I'm curious how many we can account for :)

Speaking of variations, please tell me you guys are aware of this: I just noticed variant overlays from my 2 Flashbacks. There are many that have color variations similar to the original batches (red vs orange in Crown of Kings, for example), but Astrosmash is crazy. One, from batch 08/2014, came with a solid black background. The other, batch 11/2014, has the "proper" blue/grey/green striping.

I also noticed that no one has registered an 11/2014 in Rev's serial number database. Allow me to be the first! It's still IN460, picked up from TRU. Also boo on all of you for not registering your CGE numbered units. I'm curious how many we can account for :)

Submit it.

Submit it.

Given that you still have to manually "do" something to get it into the database, just copy/paste from this post like you must be doing with the submission forms :P

Seriously though, there wasn't an option for the Flashback on the Flashback page. Unless I broke it.

Lol! I actually have a reasonable sized hand held collection and I've found box variations on them too. :) In fact I picked up a new CIB unit at VRGE, but more notably, I found a Mattel box variation that I've never seen before. Four, in fact....

• 1 year later...

What would be a fair price for the english silver barrel Donkey Kong in sealed condition? Fair means something you would actually really pay for that, I add this because I still think many numbers mentioned here are higher then what people really would pay.

Edited by Ignorama

I haven't looked at this thread in a while. Apparently I own the rarest Digiplay game CIB (according to 2012 Cmart). Although, I vaguely remember something about a rarer game identified since this thread (Pinball, maybe?).

Yep Pinball hadnt been confirmed back then. Its definitely the rarest Digiplay game.

I actually have some of these! Word Fun, Dig Dug (3 Variations, One Player, Two Players and Two Players with a Sticker over Two Players saying One Player), All the White Games, everything but Shark Shark Sealed. (Thanks to CMART for Shark Shark), Chess, Draughts, CBS Turbo (NOT SEALED!) and a few more. Cool.

I actually have some of these! Word Fun, Dig Dug (3 Variations, One Player, Two Players and Two Players with a Sticker over Two Players saying One Player), All the White Games, everything but Shark Shark Sealed. (Thanks to CMART for Shark Shark), Chess, Draughts, CBS Turbo (NOT SEALED!) and a few more. Cool.

Excellent!

Excellent!

Both Space Armada Sealed, both He Man Sealed, a few of the Digiplay of course PacMan AtariSoft Sealed, hummm gonna have to check deep into the shelves. I need to check on the CBS Turbo...I might be wrong about that....The US one I have sealed. Looking forward to PRGE! Tequila and lube in the Parking Garage...whoo hoo!

• 1 month later...

Are the "for color TV" variants more valuable, or just nice to have? I ask for Backgammon.

Valuable depends on how bad people want them. They are somewhat hard to find (some more than others). You usually find them buried in big lots and most people don't know (or care) about them. I picked up most of mine for an average of $12-20 each, but it's difficult to assign prices considering some were purchased in bigger lots. Regarding rarity, MLB and NFL are probably the most common with Backgammon coming in 3rd. I had two extra copies of Backgammon that I traded in Portland in 2016 and have seen more on eBay since. If you're looking for buyers, I'm sure you'd have at least some interest.

For me they were a fun and challenging subset to collect. I spent much more time than money on them.

• Like 1

Triple Action is (as I know so far) the only game from any Intellivision Network that could come with a international manual.

You are correct. I have a couple of the international multi-language ones but need both of those German ones. Rev and I actually debated including both the International one and the French Canadian bilingual one, which, along with Tron Mazeatron, are the two hardest of the 7 or 8 French Canadian Mattel Network games that don't have a bilingual title.

But, since the international one is just a manual variation, we didn't bother.

while digging in this cool thread I've read the statement posted more than 5 years ago about Triple Action as the only Intellivision Network game which came with a multi-language manual. I guess in the meantime you have realized that there's another one, Advanced Dungeons & Dragons.

It's never too late, right? :)

Strangely I found the multi-language manual in a French-Canadian box of A.D.& D.

EDIT: probably it isn't weird to find it in the French-Canadian box: I've just found on eBay another copy like mine (multi-language manual in French-Canadian box, eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3621416233781?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=362141623378&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER])

Edited by intellivotion

while digging in this cool thread I've read the statement posted more than 5 years ago about Triple Action as the only Intellivision Network game which came with a multi-language manual. I guess in the meantime you have realized that there's another one, Advanced Dungeons & Dragons.

It's never too late, right? :)

Strangely I found the multi-language manual in a French-Canadian box of A.D.& D.

EDIT: probably it isn't weird to find it in the French-Canadian box: I've just found on eBay another copy like mine (multi-language manual in French-Canadian box, eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3621416233781?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=362141623378&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER])

Yah it is crazy to think of all the new variations we have found in the years since this thread was created. As for the AD&D I honestly can not remember if I came across this variation. I will have to check the underground lair. ??

Yah it is crazy to think of all the new variations we have found in the years since this thread was created. As for the AD&D I honestly can not remember if I came across this variation. I will have to check the underground lair.

I *think* I have that one, but haven't scanned it yet. Dang, the time, where does it go?