IGNORED

HSC Round 4.37: Snow Bros

I keep dying on floor 14 with the elephant art. This game is by the same people who gave us "All your bases are belong to us!", BTW. I have to say I'm quite impressed. The only thing missing is better, more varied sound.

2921ant.png

And man do I hate how those dollar bills disappear so quickly. :(

Edited by BillyHW

I keep dying on floor 14 with the elephant art. This game is by the same people who gave us "All your bases are belong to us!", BTW. I have to say I'm quite impressed. The only thing missing is better, more varied sound.

2921ant.png

And man do I hate how those dollar bills disappear so quickly. :(

I think the trick is to avoid hanging around at the bottom of slides and to kill those blue guys ASAP.

Hey, you can keep shooting the dead boss for some extra points. Doesn't really compare to even a single dollar bill, but it's a neat trick.

Oh what I would give to get the dollar bills while having the speed boost.

Yeah, I noticed that too. You can pelt the boss with your shots while he's still standing for the same points, but I think it's only like 10 points per hit.

Hey, you can keep shooting the dead boss for some extra points. Doesn't really compare to even a single dollar bill, but it's a neat trick.

Yeah, I noticed that too. You can pelt the boss with your shots while he's still standing for the same points, but I think it's only like 10 points per hit.

I wonder if there is a way to get more points from this. It seems like he might blow up if you hit him enough.

B

I wonder if there is a way to get more points from this. It seems like he might blow up if you hit him enough.

B

I was shooting him as fast as I could.

So I've been playing around with the NES version a bit. It's a bit easier, and there are fewer enemies. Quality-wise there's quite a bit of flicker, naturally to be expected for an NES game. The colour palette isn't the greatest, but what can you do? Sound is okay, but doesn't push the NES. They do manage to keep the 2-player which is nice. The sushi is replaced with western food: candy, sandwiches, ice cream etc. I guess at the time there were few sushi places around, but now my city is full of them. You can only shoot 3 snow-crescents at a time. The boss is unimpressive. The gameplay is mostly there. Has all the floors. They try to give it a story and there's some in-between bonus rounds like a slot machine. Overall it's a good game and I would get it, but I still have to play it more to judge better.

29zcw3b.png

Apparently Ocean developed Amiga, Atari ST and Commodore 64 versions as well, but never released them. The Amiga ROM has found its way into cyberspace, but not the others. Wish I could see the C64 version.

There's a Tengen Genesis port too, which I will try later.

784,860 Floor 19. This game I was 388k after round 10.

It's a bit like Bomb Jack this game, there is really no point in playing it safe, you have to go for the big points every level, it's all about the $money$!!

post-27306-0-20419100-1339753431_thumb.png

Floor 16:

vfvb50.png

I had over 600,000 and no lives lost by the time I beat the first boss on this one. But it all fell apart when one of those stupid blue blobs from the bonus round killed me and I lost all my power-ups. :( Bonus rounds shouldn't hurt you. Ugh, just 2000 short of the lead.

Edited by BillyHW

I made it to the second boss, but didn't know what to do so I died. It's probably best to get all your points before this. Still haven't been able to spell SNOW. I'm always stuck on 3 letters, and they keep giving me the same ones. Apparently spelling out SNOW gives you an extra life, but man, it's altogether too much work for just one extra life, and I lose all my dollar bills whenever that stupid snowman head shows up in the bubble. Grrrrrr.

Floor 20, 2nd boss:

2469nwl.png

Edited by BillyHW