IGNORED

treasure of tarmin 'sequel' of sorts on xbox live indie channel

Godzilla

anyone see the recent xbox live indie game that is plotted as a direct sequel to tarmin? It's now in my DL que but I haven't played it yet but I thought you might get a kick out of it... They even used in the ol inty font :)

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Ghosts-of-Tarr-Minos/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550b24

• Like 1

Cute. BUT…

Does Intellivision Productions know about it? Are these guys paying royalties?

This is of great interest to me, since writing sequels to existing Intellivision games would be right up my alley. Nevertheless, I doubt it would be permitted by Intellivision Productions.

Carl

Who cares?

• Like 3

Intellivision Productions WILL care. And so will the person who made this when he receives some very nice threatening legal letters in his mailbox.

And by supporting unauthorized productions such as this, you discourage other potentially legitimate projects from going into development.

In the end, you lose.

Edited by Carl Mueller Jr

Intellivision Productions WILL care. And so will the person who made this when he receives some very nice threatening legal letters in his mailbox.

And by supporting unauthorized productions such as this, you discourage other potentially legitimate projects from going into development.

In the end, you lose.

From this response I'm assuming you will be or have already ratted someone out.

This effects you how again?

FYI, I haven't lost anything, nor will I. I'm just enjoying this game right now. :)

• Like 2

In the end, you lose.

FYI, I haven't lost anything, nor will I. I'm just enjoying this game right now. :)

In the end, you lose.

I don't need to rat anyone out. Intellivision Productions will find out eventually.

As a developer for… INTELLIVISION, it affects me greatly.

You haven't lost anything, nor will you?

I wonder if that's what the Eastern Islander who cut down the very last tree said to himself?

In the end, you lose.

Carl, my concern is that all Keith seems to care about in this scenario would be stopping something fun and creative from getting released for the INTV. Do you really think he'll sign off on anything authorized if you guys try to do the right thing and get his approval? I worry that he won't and as a result nothing will get released for the INTV and we'll all lose. I'd love to see him say yes to you guys and see what great things you can come up with, but his actions so far don't leave me hopeful. I sincerely hope I'm wrong. Here's hoping. :)

• Like 3

Maybe you doing some kind of Shark Shark 2... Ih no it already happend...and it´s called Feeding Frenzy 2...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTr8hbV3sGY

We have no plans for a sequel to Shark Shark. And something about the name "Feeding Frenzy 2" leaves me with the nagging suspicion that it isn't actually a sequel to Shark Shark but rather a game aptly named "Feeding Frenzy 1".

Maybe you doing some kind of Shark Shark 2... Ih no it already happend...and it´s called Feeding Frenzy 2...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTr8hbV3sGY

We have no plans for a sequel to Shark Shark. And something about the name "Feeding Frenzy 2" leaves me with the nagging suspicion that it isn't actually a sequel to Shark Shark but rather a game aptly named "Feeding Frenzy 1".

feeding frenzy was inspired by shark shark

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CGsQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.atariage.com%2Fforums%2Ftopic%2F167206-feeding-frenzy-lawsuit-the-shark-shark-rip-off%2F&ei=KmXWT6n1EoSs8AS9iZm0Aw&usg=AFQjCNEMt70vXEjZr8EPNEyludWTLo8IbA

I was being deliberately pedantic; it's obviously based on Shark Shark, which as your link points out they had already admitted. Apparently, Intellivision Productions pursued litigation unsuccessfully.

But the point is that we should simply "ignore Keith" because he's spoiling our fun would be extremely foolish.

I was being deliberately pedantic; it's obviously based on Shark Shark, which as your link points out they had already admitted. Apparently, Intellivision Productions pursued litigation unsuccessfully.

But the point is that we should simply "ignore Keith" because he's spoiling our fun would be extremely foolish.

I agree Carl, I don't think you should ignore Keith, my worry is that he'll ignore you, and that's what frustrates me. I'm pretty sure that you creating something fantastic for the hardcore Intellivision fans won't impinge on his ability to sell whatever hats and tshirts he wants to produce. :)

anyone see the recent xbox live indie game that is plotted as a direct sequel to tarmin? It's now in my DL que but I haven't played it yet but I thought you might get a kick out of it... They even used in the ol inty font :)

http://marketplace.x...15-d80258550b24

Well, the quickie on the game of topic is that it is pretty good, played for around 45 min, died a lot on hard, sound is ok, graphics pretty good, the game itself is not much different from Tarmin, but still cool ! If you have a 360, I'd say go for it ! :P

• Like 1

I was being deliberately pedantic; it's obviously based on Shark Shark, which as your link points out they had already admitted. Apparently, Intellivision Productions pursued litigation unsuccessfully. But the point is that we should simply "ignore Keith" because he's spoiling our fun would be extremely foolish.

I agree Carl, I don't think you should ignore Keith, my worry is that he'll ignore you, and that's what frustrates me. I'm pretty sure that you creating something fantastic for the hardcore Intellivision fans won't impinge on his ability to sell whatever hats and tshirts he wants to produce. :)

A justifiable anxiety. :-(

It's frustrating, but that's the way things are. Keith was smart enough to buy the Intellivision library at a time when no one thought it was worth anything. You have to respect him for turning it into something profitable.

I do happen to think there is some chance that he will deal with us. If it turns out right, we'll eventually have some really stellar titles. I'm hopeful.

On the other hand, I really don't think people should be giving money to the author of this game. I finished giant projects that have been sitting on my hard drive from 4 to 11 years or more that I could not publish because I lacked the necessary licenses to do so. This guy is using Intellivision to push his game, and I hardly think it's fair when he hasn't gone through the right channels. If he doesn't have a case, he will eventually be punished, but why don't we all save our pocket money for people who are not only trying to do things right but will much more likely be around in the long-term?

Carl

I was being deliberately pedantic; it's obviously based on Shark Shark, which as your link points out they had already admitted. Apparently, Intellivision Productions pursued litigation unsuccessfully. But the point is that we should simply "ignore Keith" because he's spoiling our fun would be extremely foolish.

A justifiable anxiety. :-(

It's frustrating, but that's the way things are. Keith was smart enough to buy the Intellivision library at a time when no one thought it was worth anything. You have to respect him for turning it into something profitable.

I do happen to think there is some chance that he will deal with us. If it turns out right, we'll eventually have some really stellar titles. I'm hopeful.

On the other hand, I really don't think people should be giving money to the author of this game. I finished giant projects that have been sitting on my hard drive from 4 to 11 years or more that I could not publish because I lacked the necessary licenses to do so. This guy is using Intellivision to push his game, and I hardly think it's fair when he hasn't gone through the right channels. If he doesn't have a case, he will eventually be punished, but why don't we all save our pocket money for people who are not only trying to do things right but will much more likely be around in the long-term?

Carl

I agree that Keith made a smart move and it was seeing an article on him acquiring the rights to INTV back in 1997(???) that got me back into the Intellivision in the first place. I was really stoked that he was acting as the caretaker for something so cherished from my youth.

That said, I've been disappointed with how they've been handling the property the last few years. I feel that he should be embracing the efforts of folks like yourself which can only benefit him in the long run by creating positive vibes around his property. (It kind of creeps me out to use the phrase "positive vibes", but I couldn't think of a better way to express it. :-D )

I hope that he'll give you the nod of approval as I can't wait to see what you have in store for us. As for the emulation stuff, I'm an original hardware kind of guy so I'll just be waiting to buy more copies of your games and not spending anything on that title.

As an aside, why the super small font? :-o :-D

Cheers, Chris

• Like 1

Chris,

Thanks for your support! I still don't think people get this, so just a quick summary:

If you support an unauthorized product such as this, you're not thinking in the long term. The author will eventually be forced to take down his game, will never have a working relationship with Intellivision Productions, and will likely never make another Intellivision-related production again. You lose.

If you support people who ARE trying to go through the correct channels, are enthusiastic about creating new games and OFFICIAL sequels to fondly remember titles from our youth, and can CONTINUE to do so for the LONG-TERM, you will receive a consistent flow of new games for your Intellivision. You win!

Think about it. I had Intellivision for Gameboy Color completed in 2001, before any portable system was capable of emulating the Intellivision. Wouldn't that have been neat to have back then?

I had Intellivision for NES completed in 2008. The original plug-and-play systems were abominations, but this one could be sold for the same price, played emulated games with full sound, had context-sensitive menus, and the ability to sharpen and add color to existing Intellivision graphics. Wouldn't that have been neat as well?

I've given up several years of my life to these projects and have received absolutely zero dollars and return. Does this Xbox live guy really deserve the cash inflow?

Carl

PS the small font is because I'm so amazingly cool, I don't need to talk BIG. Seriously though, I use voice recognition and it just refuses to do the normal font and it's too much trouble to deal with for every post.

Chris,

Thanks for your support! I still don't think people get this, so just a quick summary:

If you support an unauthorized product such as this, you're not thinking in the long term. The author will eventually be forced to take down his game, will never have a working relationship with Intellivision Productions, and will likely never make another Intellivision-related production again. You lose.

If you support people who ARE trying to go through the correct channels, are enthusiastic about creating new games and OFFICIAL sequels to fondly remember titles from our youth, and can CONTINUE to do so for the LONG-TERM, you will receive a consistent flow of new games for your Intellivision. You win!

Think about it. I had Intellivision for Gameboy Color completed in 2001, before any portable system was capable of emulating the Intellivision. Wouldn't that have been neat to have back then?

I had Intellivision for NES completed in 2008. The original plug-and-play systems were abominations, but this one could be sold for the same price, played emulated games with full sound, had context-sensitive menus, and the ability to sharpen and add color to existing Intellivision graphics. Wouldn't that have been neat as well?

I've given up several years of my life to these projects and have received absolutely zero dollars and return. Does this Xbox live guy really deserve the cash inflow?

Carl

PS the small font is because I'm so amazingly cool, I don't need to talk BIG. Seriously though, I use voice recognition and it just refuses to do the normal font and it's too much trouble to deal with for every post.

Your response, although hard on my eyes, :roll: :lolblue: brings me feelings of happiness, :cool: sadness :sad: and laughter :lolblue: as follows:

The thought of you making new games and sequels to the favourite games of our youth brings me :cool:

The fact that you made these really cool things and they didn't get to see the light of day because of....not sure how to put this....lack of vision on the part of others, brings me :sad:

and finally, your PS the small font is because I'm so amazingly cool, I don't need to talk BIG, makes me :lolblue:

Which brings up the question of what if he says no, or nothing at all? Would that make you pursue new, original titles that wouldn't require his approval? Either way, you're getting my money. :lol:

Look no further than the AA store, where they are selling Space Invaders, Pac Man, and Mario Bros. http://www.atariage.com/store/index.php?pg=2&l=product_list&c=39

Did they get permission from Namco, and Nintendo? hardly...Does anyone have permission from Nintendo to release any DK games? No

So why bother with Keith...it doesnt make sense.

• Like 1