#1 Random Terrain OFFLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• 25,226 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:50 PM

Atari 2600's Busy Police gets remade and dropped onto Google Play as Crazy Police:

http://www.droidgame...nto-google-play

Continuing on with some more retro gaming news, the Atari 2600 game Busy Police has been remade by a developer named Martin Edmaier (a.k.a Retro Game Studio) and is officially called Crazy Police. Originally developed by Zellers and released back in 1983, Busy Police, now known as Crazy Police, has you controlling a police officer doing what they do best, catching criminals.

Originally developed by Zellers and released back in 1983??!! I guess Activision ripped off Zellers. Bad Activision! Bad! Shame on you for renaming Busy Police to Keystone Kapers and putting your name on it!

#2 RodLightning OFFLINE  

RodLightning

Chopper Commander

• 225 posts

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:11 PM

Ha, I just read this atariage entry and my confusion comes to an end. Shame on Zellers!

http://www.atariage....00&CompanyID=61

Google play store says Crazy Police beta is incompatible with my device! Of course, I found the apk file and forced it onto my tablet anyway, It ran for me with no sound but otherwise quite playable. It's well worth a try. Now I want to try actual 2600 emulation on Android and play the real Keystone Kapers or even better, the Busy Police rom...

#3 RevEng ONLINE  

RevEng

River Patroller

• 3,473 posts
  • bit player

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:35 PM

I'm a fan of new games that riff on old ones, but after watching the game video it seems that Crazy Police is actually more visually bland than Keystone Kapers.

I'd expect an upgrade in graphics and gameplay, considering that Crazy Police is running on hardware with about a million times the memory of the VCS.

#4 Rex Dart OFFLINE  

Rex Dart

Quadrunner

• 6,543 posts
  • NO CASH VALUE

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:57 PM

Thirteen freaking megs.

#5 maiki OFFLINE  

maiki

Dragonstomper

• 548 posts

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:51 PM

I hate all these touch based games. Games should be played with wired controllers. Period.

#6 RodLightning OFFLINE  

RodLightning

Chopper Commander

• 225 posts

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:12 PM

I hate all these touch based games. Games should be played with wired controllers. Period.

I agree. Unfortunately, too may android devices rely on touch screens for gaming. I guess this is a necessary evil considering the nature of those devices. I think some android based games support bluetooth controllers or keyboards if you have one. I don't have either so I haven't tried.

I will reserve judgement on crazy cops until after the final release. I'm happy to see it as a new offering on the 'play store', sucky or not. :P

#7 Rex Dart OFFLINE  

Rex Dart

Quadrunner

• 6,543 posts
  • NO CASH VALUE

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:16 PM

Eh, I'd rather play the original game through the VCS emulator on my phone. This junkware can lick mah butt.

#8 SlowCoder OFFLINE  

SlowCoder

River Patroller

• 3,686 posts

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:17 AM

Games should be played with wired controllers. Period.

And to think that so many years ago someone said, "a roller controller?!? What the heck is this? If I can't play a game with a joystick, I ain't playing!"

Games are better better played with certain types of controllers. This includes touch based controls. Games like golf are probably awesome to play with touch/swipe controls. But I'll agree that Keystone Capers is better played with a joystick.

#9 Zwackery OFFLINE  

Zwackery

River Patroller

• 4,790 posts
  • Dr. Atari

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:25 AM

A couple are coming out from Nyko:

http://www.pcmag.com...,2405230,00.asp

#10 Torr OFFLINE  

Torr

Dragonstomper

• 568 posts

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:45 AM

Wow, I can't believe they are crediting Zellers with being the creators of that game.
However it makes sense, if they referenced Activision or the "Keystone Kapers' title at all, how long would it be before they got some kinda cease * desist from Activision!

#11 Cynicaster OFFLINE  

Cynicaster

Stargunner

• 1,737 posts

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:07 AM

As far as I'm concerned, any game not designed from the ground up with sloppy tilt/touch/swipe controls in mind utterly blows dead rhinos using those controls. Personally, I think even most games designed for those controls suck, if maybe not quite as bad.

If I had my way, classic joystick and d-pad games would be barred from touch devices out of simple respect for the lasting contributions of such games to the history of this hobby. If a user insists on playing Pac-Man, Mappy, or Q*Bert by swiping his fingers around on a piece of glass like he is flicking a booger, then he should be forced to pay a Defiling of Legacy Tax, the revenues from which would fund a campaign to educate consumers and game developers on the utter worthlessness of touch controls for classic games.

#12 Emehr OFFLINE  

Emehr

River Patroller

• 3,810 posts
  • Happiness is... a chomping Pac-Man!

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:22 AM

As far as I'm concerned, any game not designed from the ground up with sloppy tilt/touch/swipe controls in mind utterly blows dead rhinos using those controls. Personally, I think even most games designed for those controls suck, if maybe not quite as bad.

If I had my way, classic joystick and d-pad games would be barred from touch devices out of simple respect for the lasting contributions of such games to the history of this hobby. If a user insists on playing Pac-Man, Mappy, or Q*Bert by swiping his fingers around on a piece of glass like he is flicking a booger, then he should be forced to pay a Defiling of Legacy Tax, the revenues from which would fund a campaign to educate consumers and game developers on the utter worthlessness of touch controls for classic games.

A million times this.

"Hey, cool, touchscreen! The possibilities are limitless!"

"Yeah! Let's adapt a bunch of D-pad games!"

"Swell idea, chap!"

I mean, WTF.

#13 Cynicaster OFFLINE  

Cynicaster

Stargunner

• 1,737 posts

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:21 PM

A million times this.

"Hey, cool, touchscreen! The possibilities are limitless!"

"Yeah! Let's adapt a bunch of D-pad games!"

"Swell idea, chap!"

I mean, WTF.

No shit, right?

To me, it's just as degrading for those old classic games to be treated that way as it was for classic songs to be converted to polyphonic ringtones for shitty Sanyo flip phones. Worse, actually.

#14 Anthony John Morley OFFLINE  

Anthony John Morley

Space Invader

• 29 posts

Posted Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:04 AM

That looks awful, just awful!

#15 Pioneer4x4 OFFLINE  

Pioneer4x4

River Patroller

• 2,014 posts
  • Atari + R.O.B. = Completed

Posted Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:38 AM

Has anyone tried it? I recently picked up a Logitech Revue Google TV deal, it has Android 3.1 and real keyboard, glide pad, direction buttons... Seems far superior to touch screen for game purposes, BUT... Unless the app designer selects it as compatible, I can't get it via app store. More common apps, I can find the apk and sideload via dropbox. If someone has a real link I can download it from I'd like to try it. Random levels sounds interesting.
Edit-Nevermind I think I found one and it did not work.
I need to try a 2600 emulator for Android, hopefully there is one that will work onthis, WITH support for d pad!

Edited by Pioneer4x4, Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:02 AM.

#16 me_apps OFFLINE  

me_apps

Combat Commando

• 5 posts

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:30 AM

will support it...;) And the game has 3 different control schemes also a tilt one;)

@Pioneer4x4

i planning to support more devices in future...

I am the creator of the remake...

#17 Inky OFFLINE  

Inky

I'm going to try to come back and post here.

• 23,678 posts
  • Awkwardness personified

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:56 PM

Will you support using the Wiimote on an android device?

#18 Jinks OFFLINE  

Jinks

Stargunner

• 1,722 posts

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:36 PM

Ok sorry if I sound rude but this sounds dumb. I am gonna use my wii mote and play a game on my fn s2. That would be tottaly lame.
When you say this is possible like its already been done? If you have a wii mote chances are you have a wii and with that go onto emulation and play the 2600 game on a big screen??
But i guess it would be a neat trick to show someone connecting to phone to controller and maybe not be so lame on a ipad or playbook where the screen size would not be such a issue

Edited by Jinks, Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:39 PM.

#19 Inky OFFLINE  

Inky

I'm going to try to come back and post here.

• 23,678 posts
  • Awkwardness personified

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:58 AM

Ok sorry if I sound rude but this sounds dumb. I am gonna use my wii mote and play a game on my fn s2. That would be tottaly lame.
When you say this is possible like its already been done? If you have a wii mote chances are you have a wii and with that go onto emulation and play the 2600 game on a big screen??
But i guess it would be a neat trick to show someone connecting to phone to controller and maybe not be so lame on a ipad or playbook where the screen size would not be such a issue

You do sound rude.

Yes, it has been done, and there are numerous apps in the Play Store to help one achieve this end. Just because you think its dumb doesn't mean that it is.

Sheesh. :roll:

Edited by Inky, Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:58 AM.

#20 Jinks OFFLINE  

Jinks

Stargunner

• 1,722 posts

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:01 AM

K sorry I shoulda just searched the apstore for this b4 posting...
I was just following the trend on the thread that real hardware vs these newfandagled devices/losing the experience of retro gaming/cant be the same on a swipe device.

Edited by Jinks, Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:05 AM.

#21 me_apps OFFLINE  

me_apps

Combat Commando

• 5 posts

Posted Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:45 AM

Wimote is possible if i Port it to Engine and Platform, i am planing to support bluetooth Controllers soon

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users