IGNORED

The only thing that's keeping me from getting a Jaguar...

ataridave

well buy one and try it. Personally I find the jag pad one of the comfiest controllers I have used, despite my small hands.

What I do have a problem with is the lack of flash cart and the silly prices for some of the better games

well buy one and try it. Personally I find the jag pad one of the comfiest controllers I have used

To hold, maybe. To use? Not for me... the buttons are spongy and wobble, the d-pad is too pointy and rigid.

What I do have a problem with is the lack of flash cart

skunkboard?

skunkboard?

It can't be used for the first-party Atari titles, which I think is what mimo was implying when he mentioned the high Jaguar game prices. (Apparently I was wrong about this. So sue me.)

Personally, I don't have a problem with the Jaguar gamepads at all. I usually play with the Pro Controller, which is a bit harder to get, but even the original gamepads weren't noticeably uncomfortable for me.

It can't be used for the first-party Atari titles, which I think is what mimo was implying

I think your skunkboard must be broken. I don't think they would have sold in the hundreds if all they did was allow you to play a handful of homebrews and betas.

• Like 4

What I do have a problem with is the lack of flash cart and the silly prices for some of the better games

Skunkboard is your ticket.

Upside - it does allow you to load and play just about every commercial rom.

Downside - it does allow you to load and play just about every commercial rom.

• Like 5

well buy one and try it. Personally I find the jag pad one of the comfiest controllers I have used, despite my small hands.

I would, but they aren't cheap, and I would definitely want AV cables with it. I mean, it's not like buying an N64 or something, Jaguar consoles are pretty expensive-which would make it that much more of a loss if I bought one and didn't like the controller.

I would, but they aren't cheap, and I would definitely want AV cables with it. I mean, it's not like buying an N64 or something, Jaguar consoles are pretty expensive-which would make it that much more of a loss if I bought one and didn't like the controller.

If you're really that interested and can't find a friend who has a Jaguar to try out, get hold of a jag pad & the adapter for the older Atari machines. Then you can play with the pad and get a feel for it, if you hate it you've not wasted a fortune.

• Like 3

Another tip--Look out for the standard pad with the grey number keys. The type with the black keys is some kind of "revised" version, and the d-pad is absurdly stiff on those. It's fine for games like Tempest 2000 where all you do is press left and right, but on games like Raiden where you need to move in more than two directions, it blows.

As far as the feel itself, in this case, looks are very deceiving--I find the Jag controller to be very comfortable to hold.

I think your skunkboard must be broken. I don't think they would have sold in the hundreds if all they did was allow you to play a handful of homebrews and betas.

Well, excuse me. I must have had this confused with some other flash cart. Neither the SkunkBoard manual nor the online descriptions that I've seen make explicit mention of commercial software support.

• Like 1

Neither the SkunkBoard manual nor the online descriptions that I've seen make explicit mention of commercial software support.

Nah, 'cause you'd have a horde of crazed, pitchfork-wielding fucknuts shouting "PIRACY!! BURN THE HERETICS!!111oneone" from the rooftops.

Doesn't mean they won't work, just means the people who sell it don't condone or support it. The way I heard it is you can count the number of titles the skunk actively prevents from loading on the fingers of one hand, and none of them are Atari titles.

• Like 5

Nah, 'cause you'd have a horde of crazed, pitchfork-wielding fucknuts shouting "PIRACY!! BURN THE HERETICS!!111oneone" from the rooftops.

A small and utterly retarded horde, but extremely vocal and fond of endless trouble making. Sad but true.

Luckily most of them have been banned from here at this point, or have drooled so heavily into their keyboards that they can no longer post.

• Like 5

The stock Jaguar controller is not nearly as bad as everybody says. I don't know how they age, but I played with a relatively new one back in the day and it was just fine.

Tempest 2000, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom and AvP are must plays. Don't let fear of the controller keep you from trying these great games.

Another tip--Look out for the standard pad with the grey number keys. The type with the black keys is some kind of "revised" version, and the d-pad is absurdly stiff on those. It's fine for games like Tempest 2000 where all you do is press left and right, but on games like Raiden where you need to move in more than two directions, it blows.

As far as the feel itself, in this case, looks are very deceiving--I find the Jag controller to be very comfortable to hold.

That's the one I'm talking about; the original one with the red keys and d-pad.

That's the one I'm talking about; the original one with the red keys and d-pad.

Yep. Just remember, if you want the better of the two "original" versions, track one down with the grey keypad buttons. The d-pad will be smoother. Still mushy, but a lot better than the one with the black keypad buttons.

I think the d-pad's not to bad at all, but it depends on the games you're playing. It works well for Doom like games (I would say the Jag controller is actually one of the best for this type of game), and pretty well for games like Cybermorph. It ain't that great for beat'em ups though.. So I would say it is nice for games where precise movements aren't so essential, but not so well for pixel accuracy, or special move type d-pad movements.

I'd agree with the other comments about the grey buttoned one being better, although I always thought it was the replacement for the black buttoned one, as based on my experience it came with a later issue Jag (black one seemed to come with Cybermorph packs, while grey came with the boxes with no bundled game which were later, although I could be wrong).

I think the d-pad's not to bad at all, but it depends on the games you're playing. It works well for Doom like games (I would say the Jag controller is actually one of the best for this type of game), and pretty well for games like Cybermorph. It ain't that great for beat'em ups though.. So I would say it is nice for games where precise movements aren't so essential, but not so well for pixel accuracy, or special move type d-pad movements.

I'd agree with the other comments about the grey buttoned one being better, although I always thought it was the replacement for the black buttoned one, as based on my experience it came with a later issue Jag (black one seemed to come with Cybermorph packs, while grey came with the boxes with no bundled game which were later, although I could be wrong).

That's interesting, because I received the grey numeric keypad controller with my original Cybermorph bundle in the mid '90s (re-issued pack when they were liquidating the consoles). Likewise, I think I got a grey keypad one with my "64-Bit Power Kit" package as well. I do recall buying a boxed controller, and it was one with the black keys. Since you are saying it was the opposite for you, I wonder if there was any rhythm or rhyme when it came to what packages the black-keyed controllers were included in. :lol:

I have no problems or issues with the regular Jaguar controller, but usually when I play a game I'll use my pro controller. I'd recommend getting one of them, they're slimmer and have better Dpads and fire buttons.

If anything should keep you from buying a Jag, it should be the quality of the games and not the controller. There are some good games, but not a lot.

Edited by Brian R.