IGNORED

New Kids Want Old Games ... I have Proof!

I recently returned from a week long road trip, and it was a kind of family reunion type deal. My wife and I don't have any children yet ourselves, so we were unofficially designated as the baby-sitters for my two nephews. My sister had to stay home for work last min and couldn't go, so we got her kids. (I love the little guys but they're tiring to say the least, ages 8 and 10)

Anyway both of them had PSPs to play in the car with several games, but I brought along my caanoo loaded with movies, music, and hundreds of 2600, snes, genesis, nes, and game boy games on emulators. I kind of threw it in the car as a joke just to see if some "old" games from their uncle could hold their interest ... but to my great suprise not only did they like playing all those old games, they loved them! It didn't take long before they weren't even playing their PSPs anymore. We even managed a whole game of NES monolopy by passing the caanoo around to take turns.

It was interesting to me that kids that have lived their entire lives in the information age bombarded with technology and 3D graphics could spend hours playing old nes games. It was one of those cool moments where I could say that old stuff was "cooler" ... if only for a while. The games I remeber playing as a kid had a big impact in those very formative years for me, so I think the first games my kids play when my wife and I eventually have children will be same ones I played as a kid. I'm all for getting them whatever new system will be out then (if we even have game systems anymore) to keep up with the kids in the neighborhood ... but I'm going to play Battletoads with any future sons of mine. Anyway that's my rant, I just thought it was kinda cool.

• Like 4

Always a great story to read, but please, be more careful, I clicked on this topic hoping for information about Jordan Knight or Donnie Wahlberg playing Yar's Revenge! Oh-oh, oh-oh-oh.

That said, you simply cannot be great game play.

• Like 2