IGNORED

HSC Round 4.39: Super Zaxxon

Super Zaxon

1181242177211.jpg

After the release of Zaxxon, Sega realized it had a hit on its hands. The unique nature of the game featuring its three-quarter perspective was one of the first (if not the first) games to add depth and some feeling of perspective to a space game. Sega was quick to follow up on this success withSuper Zaxxon. Super Zaxxon built on the Zaxxon model by creating a more challenging game. Although Super Zaxxon didn't do as well as its predecessor, it still created a respectable niche as far as arcade games went. It was not ported to nearly as many systems as Zaxxon was, making it only to the Commodore 64, MS-DOS, and the Atari 8-bit line of computers.

-StrategyWiki

Game Information

Game Name: Super Zaxxon

Released By: Sega 1982

MAME ROMset: szaxxon

Dip Switches: Bonus Life: 10000, Difficulty: Normal, Lives: 3 (default)

Chosen By: patbb, mr. toast

ROM Location: http://www.romnation...per-Zaxxon.html

AtariAge Arcade/MAME HSC Record: n/a

Competition ends Sunday, July 1st @ 12PM EST

Leaderboard (to post #61)

46,150 Cynicaster

40,150 bigbee99

36,600 M.A.M.E Offender

31,800 kane

19,000 patbb

17,100 onmode-ky

14,500 BillyHW

13,000 jblenkle

7,500 roadrunner

Season Standings

Calculations through round 38

1. M.A.M.E Offender 582

2. bigbee99 578

3. Cynicaster 556

4. patbb 315

5. kane 284

6. mr. toast 166

7. roadrunner 160

8. JohnnyBlaze 125

9. LarcenTyler 122

10. acelkin 117

11. richard stewart 78

12. Barra 66

13. jblenkle 62

14. kojr 39

14. keilbaca 39

16. BillyHW 35

17. andyy119 33

18. retrorussell 27

19. mightymage 23

20. onmode-ky 19

21. Kurt_Woloch 18

22. rmaerz 16

23. homerwannabee 15

24. NE146 8

25. chuckwalla 6

25. Raygunn 6

27. Fres 1

Edited by bigbee99

I've found two different versions of Super Zaxxon for C64, both from 1984. Not sure what that's about. There may have been different cartridge rights vs. disk rights. I know there are often 2 ports for NA and EU, but I don't think that's the case this time. The US Gold version appears to have better graphics. I haven't played them enough yet to compare gameplay.

Hesware disk:

301iyp3.png

US Gold cartridge:

28c0o4h.png

There also appears to be an (awful) Apple II version, which wasn't listed on Strategy wiki.

More info here:

http://segaretro.org/Super_Zaxxon

When I start the game up in MAME .135, I get a message saying that the sound emulation isn't 100% accurate. But there turns out to be no sound at all. It's strange because it says the sound is done by samples.

Are you guys getting any sound in this game? Do I have to boot into Windows to try MAME .144?

I'm also getting a lot of motion blur on my LCD monitor because it scrolls so fast.

10,500. Sorry no screenshot. I accidentally quit MAME when trying to get out of fullscreen mode to take a screenshot.

This game is freakin' way too hard.

I say! This game is crazy hard! I didn't take a SS either, but I'm not done yet.

No sound for me either on .106. Everything else seems fine. Windows machine with a 22" monitor.

B

Edited by bigbee99

You sure you have the right samples? I get sound in all three MAMEs I have installed v0.62, v.140 & v.145

When I start the game up in MAME .135, I get a message saying that the sound emulation isn't 100% accurate. But there turns out to be no sound at all. It's strange because it says the sound is done by samples.

Are you guys getting any sound in this game? Do I have to boot into Windows to try MAME .144?

I'm also getting a lot of motion blur on my LCD monitor because it scrolls so fast.

You sure you have the right samples? I get sound in all three MAMEs I have installed v0.62, v.140 & v.145

Where are you getting the samples? All I did was add the ROM. I tried on .106 and .140

B

Ok. The level aft6er the tunnel seems impossible to me. There's these holes in the wall that you have to fly through. Maybe I will understand how to judge my altitude eventually. But right now, it's just a big crap shoot for me.

Something cool though, I watch my 7 year old make it past the tunnel :) He was 1 ship short of the 2k bonus.

B

post-29567-0-94799000-1340590667_thumb.png

• Like 1

I believe Super Zaxxon uses the zaxxon.zip sample file. I just checked and I do not have a szaxxon.zip sample file, but I do have the zaxxon.zip sample file. I renamed it and the sound went away. Renamed it back to zaxxon.zip and the sound came back.

Where are you getting the samples? All I did was add the ROM. I tried on .106 and .140

B

• Like 1

I believe Super Zaxxon uses the zaxxon.zip sample file. I just checked and I do not have a szaxxon.zip sample file, but I do have the zaxxon.zip sample file. I renamed it and the sound went away. Renamed it back to zaxxon.zip and the sound came back.

I found the sample file on the web. What folder do I need to put the sample file in? I've messed around with MAME for a few years and I've never ran into this problem before lol.

B

Edited by bigbee99

K, I got the sound to work. Put this file into the "Sound Samples" folder sitting next to your ROMs folder in your MAME directory. Works for both Zaxxon and Super Zaxxon.

Download This File (Right-click and save/download blah blah)

Anyone know how to post a file from your hard drive to the forums? I've seen other people do it.

Edited by BillyHW

Yeah, do what was said in post #16. you can really put the file anywhere, but unless it's in your main mame directory in a folder called SAMPLES, you have to tell mame where to find it. If you put all your samples in the SAMPLE folder, you should be good to go.

I found the sample file on the web. What folder do I need to put the sample file in? I've messed around with MAME for a few years and I've never ran into this problem before lol.

B

This is one confusing thing about mame...the sample files are called the same thing as the rom files...so for zaxxon, you will have two zaxxon.zip files (or one szaxxon.zip and one zaxxon.zip)...the rom files zip goes in your rom folder...the sample file goes in your samples folder. Just be aware that any zaxxon.zip file you d/l from a rom site is most likely the rom files. You have to hunt up a samples site for the sample files. A good one is here: http://www.samples.mameworld.info

This is what I hate about mame/emulators, this stuff should be self-contained in the ROM. So is this just the zaxxon.zip rom that I have to download or is is some other file?

Thanks guys, I finally got the sound to work. I don't think it made the game better or anything, but I can now here it. I must have deleted the samples folder some time ago b/c I had to recreate it. I'm with kane on this one. They really didn't do a good job with the depth.

I hate these games where up is down and down is up. :mad:

This is the only redeeming thing about the game to me. Space games and FPS I like the "pilot" controls. It's the way I learned them years ago. Hell, I play Black Ops on Inverted-Legacy. Skyrim does not have Legacy controls but at least you can invert the up and down. I found Skyrim kinda boring though :sleep:

B

• Like 1

On my Mac, in MAME OS X, the sound samples folder is called precisely "Sound Samples". And I believe it was created automatically when I first ran Super Zaxxon. Not sure about that though, but I don't remember it being there before. Of course, the folder was empty and you have to manually put the samples file in there.

Ok. The level aft6er the tunnel seems impossible to me. There's these holes in the wall that you have to fly through. Maybe I will understand how to judge my altitude eventually. But right now, it's just a big crap shoot for me.

B

What I do is shoot in the direction of the hole, if the laser goes on the other side of the wall , that's when I know that I'm at the right height.

Also, to help me, I remembered what height to place my ship in advance ... at lease for the 3 or four first walls. (max, 2.5, 3.25, min, ...)

Remember to never stop shooting, especially when you have to go very low, this way you will avoid hitting something on the ground.

After this level you will have to face 3 bosses (looks like dragons)

For this level I go at 2.75 "height" and shoot at the head (there is a bomb in his mouth).

The bomb will be going into your direction after a few seconds, I think that you have to shoot at it several time to destroy it, so the sooner you can shoot at it the better.

After that it starts from the begening be much harder.

My Score: 19,000

post-25394-0-85461900-1340669891_thumb.png