IGNORED

Work In Progress: "Bentley Bear: Crystal Quest"

PacManPlus

Thanks, guys:

From what I understand, this stand-alone version will not work for anyone that has an XBoard installed. However, if I'm not mistaken, won't the XM version will work with it? Isn't the Pokey address for the xboard the same as the XM ($450) and the control register mapped to the same address?

Thanks,

Bob

Here is Pontus's page, not sure if it's the same as the XM.

http://www.x-game.se/products/xboard.htm

We could also try to get around this by mapping the POKEY outside of the XBoard range for the standalone carts, you would need different PLD logic for that, but I can whip that up pretty quickly. ;)

Thanks, guys:

From what I understand, this stand-alone version will not work for anyone that has an XBoard installed. However, if I'm not mistaken, won't the XM version will work with it? Isn't the Pokey address for the xboard the same as the XM ($450) and the control register mapped to the same address?

Thanks,

Bob

Is the POKEY on the Versaboard always enabled? If yes, then just disable the XM/XBOARD POKEY by default in the non-XM version.

Is the POKEY on the Versaboard always enabled? If yes, then just disable the XM/XBOARD POKEY by default in the non-XM version.

Yes, it is, it is hardware controlled. You can choose to not use it by not populating certain components, or choosing a different PLD logic.

Yes, it is, it is hardware controlled. You can choose to not use it by not populating certain components, or choosing a different PLD logic.

I don't think it's really an issue as there are very, very few people who actually did the xboard thing.

Well, it will probably also be an issue with the XM module, I doubt it detects my POKEY and avoids bus sharing conflicts. I don't really care either way, I design stuff for the stock 7800. XMBJKDHSL this and that, you can make this machine fly, if you use modern tech, which I try not to. I bet you could put a 3D renderer onto a cart, that just utilizes the same RAM Maria reads (think bitmap emulation from RAM). But again, more like a Sega 32X, unless it's on the cart. ;)

• Like 1

Well, it will probably also be an issue with the XM module, I doubt it detects my POKEY and avoids bus sharing conflicts. I don't really care either way, I design stuff for the stock 7800. XMBJKDHSL this and that, you can make this machine fly, if you use modern tech, which I try not to. I bet you could put a 3D renderer onto a cart, that just utilizes the same RAM Maria reads (think bitmap emulation from RAM). But again, more like a Sega 32X, unless it's on the cart. ;)

Well put.

• 1 month later...

Thanks, guys:

Thanks,

Bob

I think Curt said - either here on AtariAge or at the Atari Musem Facebook group - that both the XM and the XBOARD map the POKEY at the same address but the two expansion devices map their added RAM [128k] differently so a game coded to use the XM's added RAM wouldn't run on the XBOARD - or vice versa - unless the programmer set the game to detect either options.

The XBOARD can support Dual POKEYs but of course doesn't have the option to add SIO, the YM2151 or HSC functionality. The XM won't work in tandem with an XBOARD.

How many members have XBOARDs? If it were available, I'd buy one…can't argue with the price. Of course, if there's another run of XMs, I'm interested in it as well.

Edited by Lynxpro

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Can you confirm I'm already on the list for a regular 7800 version? You don't need the 7800 syzygy expansion to run it, correct? Saw the video on youtube today, looks real cool. Approximately when will people that ordered start to pay?

The stand alone cart (Not requiring an XM module for POKEY sound) will be made available in the AtariAge Store when ready. There is no list or ETA at this time.

However, we are getting closer for a cartridge release to be possible, thanks to CPUWIZ's VersaBoards being provided and the cartridge shells Al is looking to have manufactured.

• Like 6

Oh, crap! Did I miss out on the ability to get a non-XM version of this? Crap, crap, crap.

Double crap, because I both love Bob's work, and Adventure Island/Wonder Boy is a series I literally own every game for.

Edit: Wait, less crap. Didn't see the post above mine. Woohoo!

Edited by DocEss

@Bob

Looking forward to purchase this great release in the AA store. Actually, I just ordered six homebrews for my arriving 7800 and all are done by you :) I just hope you get a fair share of all AA store purchases and Albert doesn't gobble it all up :-D

Please keep games like these coming :thumbsup: