IGNORED

Arcade ports to Colecovision w/wo SGM?

Draugr

Hi.

I just picked up the remaining Opcode games titles that I was missing. I can't wait to play Yie-Ar Kung-Fu and Road Fighter. :)

Anyhow, I was thinking what future arcade games I'd love to see on the Colecovision with possible SGM support.

Does anyone know if these are possible and if any are in the works?

Super Zaxxon

Zoo Keeper

Galaga

and wishful thinking would be Tag Team Wrestling by Data East. I don't recall a wrestling game for the Colecovision. Would be nice to have one eventually.

John

Edited by Draugr

DOH! I meant to put this in the Colecovsion / Adam forum and not specifically Opcode Games, although if Opcode was to work on any of these that would be great, but Eduardo has got to be swamped with SGM work. :)

Moderators, please move this to the main Coleco forum

Galaga and Zaxxon are in the Catalog. Super Zaxxon would be a possibility if it isn't too different of Zaxxon program wise. Galaga shares same arcade hardware as Dig-Dug and Xevious, so once one is done the other should be easier to port, though I am inclined to start with Dig-Dug.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Took family out today. While we walked it is possible I just figured out an efficient way to have smooth scrolling on any CV game that requires so. We'll see.

[edit:] indeed promising.

Edited by opcode
  • Like 2

Took family out today. While we walked it is possible I just figured out an efficient way to have smooth scrolling on any CV game that requires so. We'll see.

[edit:] indeed promising.

Horizontal or vertical scrolling?

Edited by Pixelboy

You mean like the bautiful job that Newcoleco did with Ghostblaster?

The scrolling in Ghostblaster is tile-based, and is therefore not smooth. Eduardo is talking about smooth scrolling, like in many games on the NES.

EDIT: I'll be willing to bet that if Eduardo's idea actually works, he will want to implement it with a remake of Time Pilot. ;)

Edited by Pixelboy

The scrolling in Ghostblaster is tile-based, and is therefore not smooth.

NewColeco still did a beautiful job of implementing scrolling in GhostBlaster as Yurkie mentioned although I still have a hard time with the controls (ie: making some of the jumps that are needed).

The scrolling in Ghostblaster is tile-based, and is therefore not smooth. Eduardo is talking about smooth scrolling, like in many games on the NES.

EDIT: I'll be willing to bet that if Eduardo's idea actually works, he will want to implement it with a remake of Time Pilot. ;)

Can you explain this a bit more for the layperson? I just watched a video of Ghostblasters on YouTube and it looked pretty smooth to me.

Zaxxon and Cosmic Avenger would be cool with smooth scrolling too.

The scrolling on Ghostblaster has something to do with the speed at which the player character moves. Sorry I can't remember exactly why it looks so damn nice, or how to explain it clearly.

Cosmic Avenger is actually pretty darn smooth for the ColecoVision.

The scrolling on Ghostblaster has something to do with the speed at which the player character moves. Sorry I can't remember exactly why it looks so damn nice, or how to explain it clearly.

Cosmic Avenger is actually pretty darn smooth for the ColecoVision.

Parallexal scrolling is very well done in GhostBlaster, .... But scrolling itself is a bit blocky

A good example of great scrolling is without a doubt in Burn Rubber

Dvik/Joyrex did an awesome job, truly the better scrolling I have seen on CV ...............yet! ;)

Can you explain this a bit more for the layperson? I just watched a video of Ghostblasters on YouTube and it looked pretty smooth to me.

Ghostblaster looks rather smooth because it scrolls so fast. You can say the same thing about such games as Bump 'n Jump and Spy Hunter. They all do scrolling in increments of 8 pixels, but it doesn't look choppy because of the general speed of these games. True smooth scrolling is done in increments of 1 or 2 pixels. Burn Rubber does it in increments of 4 pixels, IIRC, and it looks nice, again because of the game's speed factor.

Want to see some real smooth scrolling? Look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mPQ3PsrqpeU

EDIT: If you're seing choppy scrolling and animation in the video above, that's YouTube's fault. The actual game is very, very smooth. When I look at the above video directly on YouTube, it plays much smoother.

Edited by Pixelboy

• 2 weeks later...