IGNORED

A New, $99 Console Called Ouya Is Real and Radically Different...

Animan

Okay, I think that I'm going to want some help here.

I know this is coming, I see that it will be big, I'm leaning away from buying into 'big gaming' but I just don't know about this.

I'm out of the loop. I don't have a smart phone, but I currently have a very bad image of android gaming from what I've seen.

Ouya's games will probably be fairly similar to today's android games at launch. What's a device of similar spec capable of today?

I guess I'm just looking for an example of an 'A' grade android game. Maybe in a genre like space combat, or something else generally underrepresented in mainstream.

I've seen some smart phone games ported to psp mini, but I'm really hoping that there is better out there.

From the Ouya's FAQ on Kickstarter...

Is this just about playing mobile and tablet games on my TV?

"No. Nope. Nyet. Nein. Can we say it more clearly?

OUYA was not created merely to host ports of existing Android games. We’ve built this badboy to play the most creative content from today’s best known AAA game designers as well as adored indie gamemakers.

That said, we believe many existing Android games will feel bigger and better on a TV with a real controller. And we’ve heard from developers like Brian Fargo and Adam Saltsman that the controller will be the most exciting reason to develop for OUYA. We hope they speak for all developers when they say OUYA will inspire new forms of gameplay."

Edited by Animan
  • Like 1

Brian Fargo tweeted that he is not interested in porting Wasteland 2 to the Ouya at this time. He has his plate full getting the game on the platforms that were funded.

I would love to see this ported but I'll play it on a pc.

As for the Ouya... I bought in for a system to check it out.... can't say no to a $100 console. I enjoy some iOS titles on my phone and the idea of playing similar (and apparently even better) games with a controller that developers will have access to is exciting!

And one of the best parts is that I'm helping a North American company which is always cool. I like my Nintendo and Sony titles, don't get me wrong, but I also remember the glory days of the 2600.

When I search youtube for "best android games" I get the crap I expected to see.

However when I search for "tegra 3," somehow the games get about a million times better.

'Vendetta Online' and 'Galaxy on Fire 2' look especially close to being killer apps for me. I wonder if they'll be going to Ouya.

Spouse has given fund approval, but I'm going to hold out for a bit to see if any more titles get announced/teased.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

I wonder what the "pack in" game will be?

Angry Birds?

:-)

Seriously, if I were them I would consider it.

Not my favorite game, but I can imagine a LOT of people spending $100 just to play Angry Birds on their TV... ;-)

They've mentioned Minecraft a lot, so I can see that happening...

I don't think there will be "A" pack in game tho, as it's Android based.

I'm betting it comes without any games per se, but an initial load screen that lets you choose from a selection of launch games (of which you can choose all of them).

I think it would be great for them to have an Angry Birds type and a Jewels type, etc...

But I think they also NEED at least a few launch "original" games showcasing the chipset...

They don't have to be huge games; but they should be impressive graphically...

desiv

This is interesting, and indeed it's surprising that there's such a response on Kickstarter!

Personally, I'll wait and make my contribution when it's available with a bevy of great games.....by buying one then. Until then, I already have more games and systems than I have time to play, by about 1000x over, as I consider it all "just entertainment."

What's to keep one of the majors (Sony, Samsung, etc) from copying this thing and backing it with the $$BILLIONS$$ that they have at their disposal? I wouldn't be surprised if one of them ends up buying the OUYA itself, if it looks like it's going to fly. They'll wave tens of million$ in the face of the entrepreneurs (who retire young and wealthy), as they frequently do when they can't come up with their own ideas.

Edited by wood_jl

I think if they could include a Netflix, hulu, vudu, Pandora, etc... clients, that makes the machine look very attractive.

The stand alone boxes with apps like Roku are close to $100 and this can be a serious game machine.

<edit>

And no need to subscribe to a "Gold" account.

Edited by JamesD

They are rapidly approaching the $4 million mark and should pass it within the next couple hours.

It will be interesting to see just how high this goes.

I wouldn't say rapidly (at least when comparing it to yesterday). It is starting to slow down. Yesterday it seemed that every time I would refresh (every 3 seconds or so) the pledge amount would jump by the thousands. Now it seem to be going by about a $100.00 at a time if that. So, its slowed down quite a bit. I think it might top out at about 4 million. Maybe a little above (4 million 5 maybe). I know I'll be watching to find out. :-D

Edited by pboland

They are rapidly approaching the $4 million mark and should pass it within the next couple hours.

I wouldn't say rapidly (at least when comparing it to yesterday). It is starting to slow down. Yesterday it seemed that every time I would refresh (every 3 seconds or so) the pledge amount would jump by the thousands. Now it seem to be going by about a $100.00 at a time if that. So, its slowed down quite a bit. I think it might top out at about 4 million. Maybe a little above (4 million 5 maybe). I know I'll be watching to find out. :-D

Even still, they have like 3 weeks or so left to fund and at this point it's just a couple thousand below 4 million.

I'd consider it myself but it's essentially promising to be a DLC laden system, and there's the odds that the full game experience will still end up costing over 60 dollars if all that gets added together, so I'm not going to bother backing it. With this much raised there shouldn't be anything that can stop it except for the likely patent extortion that'll try to forbid sale in the US right before release. If it does get released I'll see how things are going and if a unit is sold in town I'll potentially pick it up. I'm not that eager for another console anyway so they have an uphill battle to sell me one.

Okay, apparently it hasn't slowed down like I thought it did. It has now pasted the 4 million mark. :-o

Backers must have been on a coffee break or something when I was looking before.

Edited by pboland

Well I'm in at the console pledge level. I figure my odds of seeing the kinds of games I want are probably going to be best on this thing--even if I have to wade through a lot of titles that don't meet my quality standards. The pure volume of titles Ouya is likely to see ensures that. One of the folks at work went in on it too, so there's a small chance that I'll even know somebody in my friend's list (I don't on 360, ps3, or Onlive).

I wonder how many cybikos, gp32's, gp2x's and pandoras were sold. It looks like this system has sold over 30k already and it's over half a year from release.

So, does anybody have any idea how 'reserving your username' is going to work? They don't mean our 'full name' that kickstarter has--because I sure don't want foul-mouthed gamers to see that.

Also I noticed this floating around. It's not much though.

Edited by Reaperman

I got two friends to snag this thing.

@Reaperman

"your games will be marked with a FOUNDER EMBLEM."

Not sure what that means. Also some tiers show your name being etched on the console.

The poll results are in.

Here's a list of the 20 most wanted games to appear on the system (Battletoads?! :lol: ):

Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft)

Final Fantasy (Square)

Super Meat Boy (Team Meat)

Need for Speed (EA)

Torchlight (Runic)

League of Legends (Riot)

Grand Theft Auto (Rockstar)

Minecraft (Mojang)

Fez (Polytron)

Timesplitter (Eidos)

Terraria (Re-Logic)

Battlefield (EA)

Skyrim (Bethesda)

Mass Effect (EA)

Limbo (Playdead)

FIFA (EA)

Bastion (Supergiant)

Battletoads (Tradewest)

Dungeon Defenders (Trendy)

For anyone interested, visit the Kikstarter page as they are asking to confirm which titles you want from the above list.

Edited by cimerians

I got two friends to snag this thing.

@Reaperman

"your games will be marked with a FOUNDER EMBLEM."

Not sure what that means. Also some tiers show your name being etched on the console.

The poll results are in.

Here's a list of the 20 most wanted games to appear on the system (Battletoads?! :lol: ):

Final Fantasy (Square)

Need for Speed (EA)

Torchlight (Runic)

League of Legends (Riot)

Minecraft (Mojang)

Fez (Polytron)

Timesplitter (Eidos)

Terraria (Re-Logic)

Battlefield (EA)

Skyrim (Bethesda)

Mass Effect (EA)

Limbo (Playdead)

FIFA (EA)

Bastion (Supergiant)

Battletoads (Tradewest)

For anyone interested, visit the Kikstarter page as they are asking to confirm which titles you want from the above list.

Wow, Battletoads? Weird to see that pop-up. Certainly would be nice, though. :D

Edited by Animan

not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to pay not now i have bills to forget.

IThe poll results are in.

Final Fantasy (Square)

Need for Speed (EA)

Torchlight (Runic)

League of Legends (Riot)

Minecraft (Mojang)

Fez (Polytron)

Timesplitter (Eidos)

Terraria (Re-Logic)

Battlefield (EA)

Skyrim (Bethesda)

Mass Effect (EA)

Limbo (Playdead)

FIFA (EA)

Bastion (Supergiant)

Battletoads (Tradewest)

I don't get it. Most of those games are just sequels of current-gen stuff. Battlefied? People are bored with this generation's 1080-whatever graphics, and they want to see those games on a less-powerful console? I would have expected a different list, for this console.

From the PC World article linked-to above, by someone else:

Of course, you get what you pay for; the components of the Ouya console are outmatched by current-gen consoles like the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. While most dedicated gamers will balk at the Ouya’s lack of a discrete graphics card, the device isn’t designed to take full advantage of your HDTV and killer sound system. It’s designed to take advantage of the Android platform’s open nature and make it easier for more people to make and play games for less money.

Doesn't this sound like an incongruity? That's not the list I would have expected, for a machine like this. That's why I said in post #21,

If it won't play Call of Duty 10 (or whatever they're up to now) as good as the other consoles, the kids won't give it the time of day.

And now a list with First Person Shooters? Gee, who'd have thought?

I'm not surprised by the list. They asked what games people wanted on the system, so naturally people put games in they already knew about. There's a few games on that list I wouldn't mind seeing, but I'm mostly looking forward to the cool, innovate indie games... like mine! :lol:

Edited by Animan