IGNORED

A New, $99 Console Called Ouya Is Real and Radically Different...

Animan

@Vaughan You must have missed the part where it's totally hackable.

You'll be able to run apps that didn't come from the Ouya's App Store. The store is just a way to distribute them. You don't have to distribute the games on the store if you don't want to.

Edited by Animan

Well, I have no idea who you work with, but I've been in IT for 25 years - including working in major development houses. There will always be a number of people who struggle, but most? And then you think about who might be interested in this system. They're not going to be newbies who are alien to the Internet, imo.

So who is the target market here?

Well, I have no idea who you work with, but I've been in IT for 25 years - including working in major development houses. There will always be a number of people who struggle, but most? And then you think about who might be interested in this system. They're not going to be newbies who are alien to the Internet, imo.

So who is the target market here?

1. People who play video games.

2. People who like to hack and play with their devices. (Ouya encourages it)

• Like 1

@Vaughan You must have missed the part where it's totally hackable.

What, you mean like a PC? And who are how is going to manage this device over time? What is going to stop Developer A making a hack, and it breaks Developers B work? And how long before someone see's it's easy to hack, and a) Finds out to copy games and posts them on nefarious web sites; b) Writes a virus?

I also don't believe most people are struggling to find things on the Internet.

I 100% disagree with you. As desiv said, you are probably not the average Internet user. I work with everyone from people who have never used computers before all the way up to programmers, and everything in between. I can tell you from first-hand experience that people barely know how to search for anything online. I work in a library, by the way. Also, these same people are hopeless when it comes to using any sort of database. Even when you try to make it as simple as possible, there are always people dumber than you think. That's why my job exists, to a certain degree.

Edited by iswitt
  • Like 3

1. People who play video games.

2. People who like to hack and play with their devices. (Ouya encourages it)

Hm, buy a piece of hardware, put Linux on it. No?

Linux computers and Android gaming systems are two very different things.

Edited by Animan
  • Like 1

I also don't believe most people are struggling to find things on the Internet.

I 100% disagree with you. As desiv said, you are probably not the average Internet user. I work with everyone from people who have never used computers before all the way up to programmers, and everything in between. I can tell you from first-hand experience that people barely know how to search for anything online. I work in a library, by the way. Also, these same people are hopeless when it comes to using any sort of database. Even when you try to make it as simple as possible, there are always people dumber than you think. That's why my job exists, to a certain degree.

I'd have to second that. In another thread people were having trouble searching on "Chainsaw Massacre" to verify if Hoser was the original publisher. :P

• Like 1

Hey. it's all good. But if you took everybody on the planet that used their library today, you'd still have a small percentage of those successfully finding their way around.

I mean, on the one hand I'm being told people who will use this console are Internet illiterate, and on the other I'm being told it's for people who like to hack. Which is it?

Look, I have no vested interest in this thing failing. Good luck to them, there is always room for one more. And if people have fun with it, all the better. I'm just saying it's not for me - nor frankly anyone I know. But hey - that's my experience. We'll simply have to wait for it to come out and see what it does. As I said, if in two years I'm proven wrong, I'll certainly hold my hands up.

Linux computers and Android gaming systems are two very different things.

Both can play games. Both can be hacked. So why go with something new?

I'd have to second that. In another thread people were having trouble searching on "Chainsaw Massacre" to verify if Hoser was the original publisher.

That';s a totally different issue. Clearly the person found it. Now, when you go into a store to buy a Coke, do you bother to ask questions to make sure it really was make by Coca Cola, and it's not a knock-off of some kind? That's the issue with the Chainsaw Massacre. What was more surprising is that some want to blame the buyers - encouraging people to sell pirated product.

I'm just saying it's not for me - nor frankly anyone I know. But hey - that's my experience.

I agree with you on this point. I don't have a want or need for this type of thing. As you've pointed out already, you can do a lot of what they are promoting on other pieces of hardware. Plus, I've never been a fan of Android. I'll wait it out and see how things go.

Well, I have no idea who you work with, but I've been in IT for 25 years - including working in major development houses.

Only 25? ;-)

Kids..

desiv

Well, if you're falling back to being patronizing I guess it's time for me to pull out of the debate. I wouldn't trade my 25 years working with intelligent people, with however many years you apparently have working with people who struggle with Google. :D

I'm out of here guys. I wish the console luck, but it's a waste, imo. We'll see.

Edited by Vaughan

I can tell you from first-hand experience that people barely know how to search for anything online. I work in a library, by the way. Also, these same people are hopeless when it comes to using any sort of database. Even when you try to make it as simple as possible, there are always people dumber than you think.

I still remember watching people click the Yahoo bookmark in Internet Explorer, loading up the Yahoo search site, typing "www.hotmail.com" into the search, entering it, and clicking the result...

• Like 2

Well, if you're falling back to being patronizing I guess it's time for me to pull out of the debate. I wouldn't trade my 25 years working with intelligent people, with however many years you apparently have working with people who struggle with Google. :D

I didn't bring up the 25 years, you did..

And I had a smiley? ;-)

(And I didn't insult the people you work with..)

desiv

• Like 1

I can tell you from first-hand experience that people barely know how to search for anything online. I work in a library, by the way. Also, these same people are hopeless when it comes to using any sort of database. Even when you try to make it as simple as possible, there are always people dumber than you think.

I still remember watching people click the Yahoo bookmark in Internet Explorer, loading up the Yahoo search site, typing "www.hotmail.com" into the search, entering it, and clicking the result...

Oh my lord, you have no idea how often I see people do that.

A bit off-topic... Here's another gem. When people open any browser on our computers, they all default to the library's main page (i.e. NOT GOOGLE). Then they get confused and ask us how to get on the Internet.

Patron: I can't seem to get to the Internet. All I can get is this library page.

Me: Let me take a look... *looks*. Well, it looks like you're on the Internet right now.

Patron: I'm trying to get onto google, the Internet.

Me: Okay, just go to the address bar and type in www.google.com.

Patron: The what bar?

Me: *facepalm*

• Like 1

I 100% disagree with you. As desiv said, you are probably not the average Internet user. I work with everyone from people who have never used computers before all the way up to programmers, and everything in between. I can tell you from first-hand experience that people barely know how to search for anything online.

I work on an IT Help Desk and it's absolutely grating how little the average person actually knows.

(On the Google home page):

Me: "Ma'am, just type in what you want and click the search button located at the right of the field."

Idiot: "I typed it in, what do I do now?"

Me: "Click search."

Idiot: "Where is that?"

/facepalm

• Like 2

Me: Okay, just go to the address bar and type in www.google.com.

Patron: The what bar?

Me: *facepalm*

I hate to "me too", but I had this conversation, almost verbatim, just yesterday. And I have it a lot.

Thing is, we've spent the better part of four decades developing hardware and software to make computers "user friendly". We've spent countless resources to make computers easy, simple, and even fun to use, so that it's possible to use a computer without knowing a single thing about them. Now that we've actually achieved our goal of making computers "user friendly", we've come to a very upsetting realization.

The computers aren't the problem, and they never were.

The problem has always been that people don't want to learn anything different, they don't want to figure out how something works, they don't want to exert any effort at all. Complaining that computers weren't "user friendly" was a smokescreen for people who just wanted those IT people to do their work for them. That's one reason the "App Store" idea is taking off. Are there disadvantages? Oh yes, many. But it does allow the average person to find tools they otherwise would not find. Many people don't roam outside their comfort zone. The VAST majority of people I know have never installed software on their computer. You think Shareware is the answer? Sure... 20 years ago. Shareware was for a different generation, who actually liked trying new things and testing different tools. That's for people like you and I, not the general public.

If you want indie gaming to grow, you need to aim for people besides the dedicated hobbyist. Ouya has the interface of a console with the infrastructure of a cell phone platform. If you can't see the potential in that, I don't know what else to tell you

• Like 8

I've played with Android on phones and tablets. And until ICS, Android's been pretty crappy. Yes, it's free and you can tinker with it. Just like Linux. But as a commercial level product, it was pretty darn rough around the edges. They kept adding new feature without really refining any of it. And the UI was the worst ever made. Every time they come out with a revision, all the Android fanboys come out exalting it as the best ever. Then when all the warts show through, they say, just wait until the next version! It was the same with Froyo. With Gingerbread.

Though with Ice Cream Sandwich, I think Android can compete on a polished level, not just a bunch of feature bullet points. It actually runs better than before and finally takes advantage of GPU hardware acceleration of the UI. It was the first Android version that made me think I wouldn't mind owning it.

For me, an App Store serves no purpose, except to limit where I can go to get software. Companies are using it to lock you in, control content, and skim profit. So seeing it suggested here is an alarm bell.

The only similar thing to an App Store I've ever used is the one that Ubuntu uses, and it's free. It was really easy. I still have the manual download option, but it sure was easy to use! So I suppose as long as I don't have to take my wallet out, there's nothing wrong with it, and still have the alternative.

This is why the Ouya is being made:

http://arstechnica.c...-360-patch-fee/

Now... that's just plain wrong.

Yeah, and it's wrong for everyone involved.

First, Microsoft shouldn't be charging an insane fee to fix a bug in a game. If you have a bug, you owe it to the customers (especially PAYING customers) to fix it. End of story.

But... I'm not letting the developer off the hook here. You shouldn't need to patch a console video game. Those things should be ready to go the day they are released, be it in cart form, CD, or download. The fact that this problem was caused by a patch that was put on top of another patch shows that they're letting stuff out the door that isn't ready. That is NOT COOL, and the fact that our gaming culture currently tolerates it does not change my opinion on the matter.

• Like 1