Photo

No power :(

7 replies to this topic

#1 CrystaliaMi OFFLINE  

CrystaliaMi

Space Invader

• 21 posts

Posted Thu Jul 5, 2012 5:44 PM

Got my heavy 6er today. The power adapter is crap, and the one from my light 6er isn't interchangeable. I can't find the right adapter. Best Electronics confuses me. I'm without power for my system :(

#2 Syntaxerror999 OFFLINE  

Syntaxerror999

Dragonstomper

• 538 posts

Posted Thu Jul 5, 2012 9:39 PM

All Atari 2600 models use the same adaptor, so it should be interchangable. If you L6 adaptor isnt working in the H6 then its probably the console. Usualy either the port or the power regulator (looks like a giant transistor with a heatsink) You should get a reading of 9v from the left pin (collector) and the middle pin (ground) and 5v between the middle pin and the right pin (emitter).

If you do need to replace the adaptor, one thing to remember is the its positive polarity (+ comes from the tip). most devices now a days use negitive polarity.

For more technical details...

http://www.atariguid...vice_Manual.pdf

#3 SlowCoder OFFLINE  

SlowCoder

River Patroller

• 3,686 posts

Posted Fri Jul 6, 2012 7:54 AM

That's rather a bummer. I know you've been looking forward to this thing.

Out of curiosity, what makes you think the adapter isn't interchangeable? Chance of pics of both consoles and adapters? Specifically the back of the consoles so we can see the plugs.

Does the H6 adapter work on the L6?

#4 CrystaliaMi OFFLINE  

CrystaliaMi

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted Fri Jul 6, 2012 8:19 AM

I was told there was a different voltage requirement. When I tried to plug it in, there were sparks. I'll try it, but if it keeps sparking, it's a no-go. I don't want to destroy my H6er.

#5 CrystaliaMi OFFLINE  

CrystaliaMi

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted Fri Jul 6, 2012 8:29 AM

Well, what do you know? I plugged it in this morning, no sparks, IT WORKS!! :D

#6 the.golden.ax OFFLINE  

the.golden.ax

Tear down this temple

• 12,424 posts
  • I'll rebuild it in 3 days

Posted Fri Jul 6, 2012 8:31 AM

Plug the cord in to the system, then in to the wall. The way the tip is designed, momentary slow insertion of a plugged-in adapter results in the spark.

#7 SlowCoder OFFLINE  

SlowCoder

River Patroller

• 3,686 posts

Posted Fri Jul 6, 2012 1:11 PM

Plug the cord in to the system, then in to the wall. The way the tip is designed, momentary slow insertion of a plugged-in adapter results in the spark.

And it's rqeally not a harmful spark. Some people use "the spark" to test that a power supply is working.

#8 the.golden.ax OFFLINE  

the.golden.ax

Tear down this temple

• 12,424 posts
  • I'll rebuild it in 3 days

Posted Fri Jul 6, 2012 6:01 PM

And it's rqeally not a harmful spark. Some people use "the spark" to test that a power supply is working.

If you held it there long enough you would eventually kill the A/C. It's basically bridging the tip with the side. In a momentary insertion it would be okay. (still no RT--style insertion jokes, I'm disappointed)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users