IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

oooops, I have ralized, I owe the NTSC Version of the xmas village picture.

Ho ho hoooo, hope you all and yours had a great 1st of advent weekend. :grin:

Here it is. Thanks to Philsan for the palette. Hope it looks great on real NTSC Atari and TV.

attachicon.gifMario130XE_XMAS_NTSC.png

Greetings, Mario

Mario130, sorry to be so picky but I still prefer images done with the OlivierN palette.

My camera is pretty terrible. I have to edit the levels a great deal to produce the following picture but it's close to what I really see.

The image looks pretty good except the lighting in the windows of the house which is green instead of yellow as in the original picture and in your PAL Rastaconverted picture.

Please don't bother reconverting this picture. I seem to be a minority of one who prefers the OlivierN palette.

Thanks for all the pictures. This one of the house will be on my 800XL for Christmas :D

-SteveS

post-9154-0-13458100-1448904914_thumb.png

Wow!... What a Great Christmas and Winter with lots of snow we are having this year!...

The bottom one snow bear seems not the same good quality as the top snowman but for sure you know the reason but is still good :).

:thumbsup:

P.s.- Hope you're and Rasta Converter also good for Easter, Spring and Summer pictures but for these I have to wait some Months :grin:...

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dithering works pretty well, especially with landscapes. Most other 8-bit platforms have to resort to it in some form, so can't complain too much. ;) Still a few extra colors per line would be nice...

I wonder what these would look like with a theoretical GTIA Plus/ 2. You know that secret drop-in replacement chip someone must be working on, that has 16 color registers, that would give the Atari the ability to display 9 base colors per-line in this mode, apart from all of the other methods? ;) You know the one based on an FPGA or something similar, that is pin-compatable? The one that would actually be adopted and accepted as a logical extension by most folks? ;)

Just dreaming..

Dithering works pretty well, especially with landscapes. Most other 8-bit platforms have to resort to it in some form, so can't complain too much. ;) Still a few extra colors per line would be nice...

I wonder what these would look like with a theoretical GTIA Plus/ 2. You know that secret drop-in replacement chip someone must be working on, that has 16 color registers, that would give the Atari the ability to display 9 base colors per-line in this mode, apart from all of the other methods? ;) You know the one based on an FPGA or something similar, that is pin-compatable? The one that would actually be adopted and accepted as a logical extension by most folks? ;)

Just dreaming..

Unfortunately, I'll say keep dreaming. We have had VBXE upgrade for YEARS now, and everybody seems to be hateful towards it. It could be used to simulate every other proposed video upgrade (al teast two dozen if my memory of the time is correct). It can apply overlays to standard GTIA output, or simulate enhanced GTIA with the Atari's DMA turned off, so you get a full 1.79MHz processor. Nobody wants it, or nobody wants to dev for it. There has literally been hundreds of hours spent discussing various other new and amazing Atari video upgrades. All when we have a damn nice somewhat standard mod, still easily attainable and in production, it's ignored. I have never, ever, ever make any sense of this behaviour.

VBXE *is* that drop in, pin compatible replacement, yes. :) It's the 80 column upgrade that everyone wished they had BITD, not to mention the other features. In my Atari Moria port, I turned off DMA, since I'm not using any of the built-in Atari's graphics features, as you mention.

I think the issue is that it is too good. It gives the Atari features that are too modern for some folks. In my opinion though, it's just another fun addition to the hobby, and it's still an Atari computer in essence. You program for 6502 still. You still have only 64k to work with, without banking.

That said, there are people doing things with it. Maybe not enough, or not the right kind of things to get more people excited about it. FJC has done quite a lot, Rygar, the folks behind SpartaDos 4.4x to name a few.

Edited by Shawn Jefferson

Unfortunately, I'll say keep dreaming. We have had VBXE upgrade for YEARS now, and everybody seems to be hateful towards it. It could be used to simulate every other proposed video upgrade (al teast two dozen if my memory of the time is correct). It can apply overlays to standard GTIA output, or simulate enhanced GTIA with the Atari's DMA turned off, so you get a full 1.79MHz processor. Nobody wants it, or nobody wants to dev for it. There has literally been hundreds of hours spent discussing various other new and amazing Atari video upgrades. All when we have a damn nice somewhat standard mod, still easily attainable and in production, it's ignored. I have never, ever, ever make any sense of this behaviour.

I'll let you into a dark secret here. I was once a politician (at the local level).

One thing I learned from it was that you couldn't keep everyone happy. Often a new policy would come out and 90% of people would be happy about it. 10% of people would scream and shout about it and it'd make a good newspaper story to the detriment of the Council. I felt that if the majority were happy and it wasn't an evil policy that would be of massive detriment to those 10%, then I'd vote for it.

Here's the VBXE, perhaps two thirds of people like it and one third don't want it. Merely by being present it isn't detrimental to the users of the original hardware. It's a good thing that it came out and may many people use it, love it and want to use it more. Just because some don't want it, doesn't mean that others should not enjoy it. I seem to remember didn't it have a low number of builds? (200? 300?). That covers the numbers here on this page, but there's many others who don't bother coming here or don't even know about this forum. If you develop for it, you will be building something for a minority of users, which I guess is off-putting for many coders. It's like coding for the Atari 400 in a way. And until more people code for it, less people will play VBXE games.

It's a great little add-on. It's not something for me (yet I'm not the type to ask for lots of hardware mods) but I implore all those that like it and possess one to code for it if they can. I especially like games that detect to see if it is there and then adapt the way they present themselves accordingly.

I'm indifferent. I'm here for the retro part of the hobby. I'm interested in the kind of technology that produced the A8 and having that line blurred makes it all less fun. For example, I've seen posts where people are longing for high-color games with full digital soundtracks on the A8. At that point, you're solely playing with modern toys and the A8 is just in the way. A CPU implemented in the FPGA would be faster. A $1.50 microcontroller would be faster.

Look at the pictures in this thread. Would any of us thought they were possible until recently? Would this have ever been developed if people were switching over to VBXE?

• Like 3

Look at the pictures in this thread. Would any of us thought they were possible until recently? Would this have ever been developed if people were switching over to VBXE?

I see a similarity on the Amiga. You see only "3D" games on the enhanced AGA machines, people stated always OCS/ECS is too slow to produce fast enough "3D" animationes....

Seems, it took 30 years for this one:

Thinking back to Starraiders in 1979.... the never released SR 2 (the real one) ... following the line with the development of the "16 bit Atari 800 " ... the missing part, you know... , well, fluent 3D games could have appeared 10 years earlier.

On the A8 it already starts with "adding" a second POKEY instead of using ONE , the right way, before changing the hardwarespecs, which results in faulty development.

Edited by emkay

It would be nice to have a thread completely dedicated to the beautiful images generated by the awesome converter made by Jakub "ilmenit".

That tool really gave colors, once reserved to the classes, to the masses.

Original image (optional), converted image preview, Atari .xex file (filenames format: "Author's name_imagename" to keep Kaz atarionline.pl's format).

Posts without images are not allowed! icon_wink.gif

Please post only Rastaconverter generated images...

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...