Images generated by RastaConverter

Images Gallery RastaConverter Colors

1204 replies to this topic

#1201 MrFish ONLINE  

MrFish

River Patroller

• 4,164 posts

Posted Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:12 AM

The one I use is 0.0.2.1 dated 2013. I did download another file from this thread not too long ago, and I thought it might be a more recent version, I never found out though, as it screwed everything up and I had to do a system restore on my PC and then re-install the version I have now to get things working again! 

Version 0.0.2.1 is actually for the GUI front end. I was talking about the RastaConverter program itself, which doesn't seem to carry version information in the "Properties" -- although the person who posted the version I just downloaded put some version information in the filename.

Anyway, I was able to download the latest a few pages back in this thread and it wasn't what I was using. I thought my rate and CPU usage seemed low with the version I was using.

So now I have to figure out if I want to re-evaluate or continue evaluation from where the older version left off.

Edited by MrFish, Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:14 AM.

#1202 Gunstar OFFLINE  

Gunstar

Gunstar

• 8,484 posts

Posted Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:18 AM

Version 0.0.2.1 is actually for the GUI front end. I was talking about the RastaConverter program itself, which doesn't seem to carry version information in the "Properties" -- although the person who posted the version I just downloaded put some version information in the filename.

Anyway, I was able to download the latest a few pages back in this thread and it wasn't what I was using. I thought my rate and CPU usage seemed low with the version I was using.

So now I have to figure out if I want to re-evaluate or continue evaluation from where the older version left off.

Can you post the latest version you just got, so I can compare with what I am using?

#1203 MrFish ONLINE  

MrFish

River Patroller

• 4,164 posts

Posted Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:32 AM

It's here.

#1204 a8isa1 OFFLINE  

a8isa1

Stargunner

• 1,342 posts

Posted Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:00 AM

Certainly if you do not use the targeted palette in the emulator then you won't see the same thing as shown below.

So targeting laoo.act, for example, isn't a selectable palette in Altirra's presets (can you load it anywhere?) but could be loaded in A800Win(PLus).

OK I understand that there are different palettes and that one should use use the same palette in emulators as that used for the conversions.  What I don't understand is why there are several palettes. Does each palette have a specific purpose? 

I've explained in an earlier post why I have customized my palette in Altirra.  It's an attempt to match the colors presented in Altirra with my real Ataris which years ago I adjusted as per an 800 technical service note I once read.  I don't really have a way to put the Ataris back to factory settings so I just leave them.

In many of my strong dithering experiments with rastaconverter I used this customized palette.  For others I used AuthenticNTSC.act.  Is there an ideal palette I should be using for, for intent of viewing the pictures on my NTSC 800XL?

Edited by a8isa1, Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:01 AM.

#1205 Wrathchild ONLINE  

Wrathchild

Stargunner

• 1,866 posts

Posted Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:48 AM

From my own experimenting, e.g. in relation to the video conversions, I would say AuthenticNTSC and OlivierPAL are my general go-to's. As many have pointed out over the years though, different displays exhibit their own quirks and the same A8 hardware on one doesn't necessarily produce the same output as another so at the end of the day it's what you're happy with. In the last post it was a little surprising that the output.png and 'copy to clipboard' from Altirra had minor differences.

Sometimes it also seems a wise thing to do to setup the chosen A8 palette within an art package and then get that to recolour the original image to that.
It does seem that a predistance in rastaconverter of ciede followed by distance of yuv runs ok, showing the importance of that initial target.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Images, Gallery, RastaConverter, Colors

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users