IGNORED

AtariAge Puzzy Fan Club

Mr. Postman

This is the thread for all the Puzzy fans to renite! I love all the games and there doesn't seem to be that much discussion going on. While many of the games come off as "cheezy", I feel that in the big picture of the VCS lineup that they are of the utmost completeness and comparable only to the legacy that Activision has left us.

Take the game Mr. Postman for example. People say it's aweful and stupid. Well, the game starts with a difficult platforming stage, followed by two shmup stages, and ends with an "Operation" board game-like stage similar to that from M*A*S*H. It may be stupid in appearance, but it is far from aweful as a game. It's both a crazy-random and pleasant variety of genres for a single 2600 title. No, it's not "Pitfall" but it does have replay value which is more than I can say for almost all of the 2600 titles that aren't a port of a classic arcade hit.

Please take this time to share your love for Puzzy, and also other companies that you feel stood above the rest. I think Activision (that I despise today) was probably the best VCS publisher, followed by Puzzy, and then random titles here and there.

I've been playing Puzzy's Sea-Monster a bit, I'm not exactly thrilled or disapointed. After not hearing much about this title I thought a dedicated thread for the developer was needed. :)

Later I'll get my Harmony Cart out and try to get into all the Puzzy I can. I'll let you know what I think of them.

Awesome, is that a flash cart?

The later titles for Gamate are truly a blast, and the Funtech Super A'can was just something that would have been more loved had it been released earlier. The Gametec genesis pirate releases have a style of their own (that were probably intended for the A'can).

All these Taiwanese companies pooled together and failed everytime, but the 2600 era is something of harmony. A lot of bad companies came together and did something good, and I do see it in the VCS. When we speak of these old titles, I believe that replay value is the true judgement of time. Puzzy is a bit cheezy as I said, but some of the stuff I still choose to play today out of hundreds of VCS options.

Edited by Mr. Postman

Since I just got a Puzzy Sea Monster cart in the mail, my high score is only a mere 700 so far. I'm sure people can beat that for now! :)

I promise to play more tonight and try to beat it.

If more people get into these games, I'll gladly offer real cash prizes for high score contests in the future to keep enthusiasm and interest up, and possibly have real physical trophies made for the winners. :)

700seamonster.png

Edited by Mr. Postman

I've gone through all my carts, and Sea Monster is the only NTSC loose Puzzy that I have (From Canada). The rest are PAL Bit corp releases (some boxed) or just NTSC pirates (still cool).

I'l dig through storage and check whatever else I have.

Edited by Mr. Postman

I know them from the german edition QUELLE

they are the best looking games

or the best gameplay

but at least they tried to do different things than most of the companies

they are quite interesting

btw, I am selling Puzzly reproduction boxes made by Marc Oberhauser

Very nice! I don't collect repro stuff myself, but the project sounds very interesting! :)

Lets' keep this contest honest. $50 USD to the 1st place winner.

Best high score for Puzzy Sea Monster by October 31 2012 (Halloween). This leaves plenty of time for everyone to join in!

All submissions must be an actual unaltered photo taken from a physical camera, and the game played on actual VCS hardware.

Please take the photograph clearly showing your entire TV and VCS Hardware if possible (plan ahead, or be willing to zoom out).

Set up your 2600 on a TV tray in front of your display if you you must.

It does not matter which version of the game you are playing. PAL, NTSC, Pirate or Harmony cart.

All photos submitted will be pending until approval. Any cheating/altered images will be denied and said users publically shamed.

There will be prizes for Second and Third place.

Lets get this rolling! If you love Puzzy, post your scores!

Edited by Mr. Postman

I love Puzzy games too. Along with Homevision, this company is the most intriguing for the Atari 2600. As a bit of trivia, did you know that at the time Puzzy first released some of its games like Dancing Plate and Open Sesame, the name it had in mind for Zimag was actually Zigmag?

I love Puzzy games too. Along with Homevision, this company is the most intriguing for the Atari 2600. As a bit of trivia, did you know that at the time Puzzy first released some of its games like Dancing Plate and Open Sesame, the name it had in mind for Zimag was actually Zigmag?

Hey Dino, you seem to be quite the Bit/Puzzy enthusiast. It's easy to get confused with all the variations, and I have a handful of stupid marketing questions that I'm sure you can enlighten me on.

Was Zimag in Gardena California designated as the official USA distriber of NTSC Bit Corp titles?

Have more titles been marketed under the name Puzzy in Canada or Europe?

Why did Pu Ze use both the names Puzzy and Bit Corp on the same cart labels literally at the same time? Did Pu Ze make other things besides games?

Are Emag and VidCo officially affiliated with Zimag?

Was Ample Ace only affiliated with bit corp game titles?

Were Hot Shot / Goliath official distributors in any region?

Also, can we assume that the unreleased titles such as Pizza Chef & Immies and Aggies were developed by Bit since they were only officially marketed by Zimag (and unnoficially released under CCE)?

Bit Corp often advertised their games/products on random pirated games for other consoles, does this mean that the pirate versions were consented by Bit corp in exchange for the free advertising? This would make sense why CCE had released prototype games intended for Zimag.

If anybody can chime in, any info would be greatly appreciated. :)

Edited by Mr. Postman

At last: a die hard Puzzy fan.

I can tell you more about them if you want.

In the meantime, here´s an overview of all known Puzzy titles known to exist:

http://www.atarimani...sher=27&step=25

My theory is that only 201 to 205 were released by Puzzy.

Then 201 to 209 were released under the Bit Corporation only brand.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

1) Was Zimag in Gardena California designated as the official USA distriber of NTSC Bit Corp titles?

2) Have more titles been marketed under the name Puzzy in Canada or Europe?

3) Why did Pu Ze use both the names Puzzy and Bit Corp on the same cart labels literally at the same time? Did Pu Ze make other things besides games?

4) Are Emag and VidCo officially affiliated with Zimag?

5) Was Ample Ace only affiliated with bit corp game titles?

6) Were Hot Shot / Goliath official distributors in any region?

7) Also, can we assume that the unreleased titles such as Pizza Chef & Immies and Aggies were developed by Bit since they were only officially marketed by Zimag (and unnoficially released under CCE)?

8 ) Bit Corp often advertised their games/products on random pirated games for other consoles, does this mean that the pirate versions were consented by Bit corp in exchange for the free advertising? This would make sense why CCE had released prototype games intended for Zimag.

Not stupid questions at all.

1) Although I'm sure ZiMAG (their products were also made in Taiwan) had connections with the Taiwanese Bit Corporation, I don't think ZiMAG was the OFFICIAL distributor of Bit Corporation games. Not all Bit Corporation games were released by ZiMAG and the ones that were, were given other names and in some cases other graphics (I Want My Mommy, for example). Besides that, at least one title is known to exist that Bit Corporation under their own brand in NTSC format:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-bobby-is-going-home_18790.html

2) Not that I know of. Here´s an overview of all known Puzzy titles known to exist:

http://www.atarimania.com/list_games_atari-2600-vcs-p_total-page-step-publisher_7-1-200-27_2_G.html

My theory is that only PG201 to PG205 were released by Puzzy. Then PG201 to PG209 were released under the Bit Corporation only brand. (for the true nerds: there's more of the label artwork to be seen on Puzzy labels than on the Bit Corporation only labels, so it's very likely that Bit Corporation only labels were released in a slightly later period. Also, Puzzy labels are much harder to find and often look older and in worse condition than Bit Corporation only labels).

3) I've been asking myself that question many times. Don't know the exact answer to this.

4) Not 100% sure. Although the Emag GN-0X0 software lists contains the same titles as ZiMAG and Vidco together, the two Vidco proto's (A Mysterious Thief and Spinning Fireball) were never announced in any ZiMAG catalog or list.

5) AFAIK yes. Ample Ace labels were only found with Bit Corporation titles and model numbers on it.

6) Hot Shot officially released Taiwanese games in Germany, France, Great Britain and Finland.

BTW: The original Goliath brand released 4 Puzzy titles (with the Puzzy logo still onscreen).

7) That's very well possible, but still not 100% certain. BTW: Immies and Aggies was also released by SunScience as Spectracube Invasion:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-spectracube-invasion_16421.html

8 ) Interesting theory! Who knows? About CCE releasing ZiMAG proto's: I still believe that CCE's Stone Age is the same game as the announced Dinograms from ZiMAG:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-stone-age_7500.html

All in all fascinating questions, Mr. Postman.

Now dig into Home Vision if you dare...

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

1) Was Zimag in Gardena California designated as the official USA distriber of NTSC Bit Corp titles?

2) Have more titles been marketed under the name Puzzy in Canada or Europe?

3) Why did Pu Ze use both the names Puzzy and Bit Corp on the same cart labels literally at the same time? Did Pu Ze make other things besides games?

4) Are Emag and VidCo officially affiliated with Zimag?

5) Was Ample Ace only affiliated with bit corp game titles?

6) Were Hot Shot / Goliath official distributors in any region?

7) Also, can we assume that the unreleased titles such as Pizza Chef & Immies and Aggies were developed by Bit since they were only officially marketed by Zimag (and unnoficially released under CCE)?

8 ) Bit Corp often advertised their games/products on random pirated games for other consoles, does this mean that the pirate versions were consented by Bit corp in exchange for the free advertising? This would make sense why CCE had released prototype games intended for Zimag.

Not stupid questions at all.

1) Although I'm sure ZiMAG (their products were also made in Taiwan) had connections with the Taiwanese Bit Corporation, I don't think ZiMAG was the OFFICIAL distributor of Bit Corporation games. Not all Bit Corporation games were released by ZiMAG and the ones that were, were given other names and in some cases other graphics (I Want My Mommy, for example). Besides that, at least one title is known to exist that Bit Corporation under their own brand in NTSC format:

http://www.atarimani...home_18790.html

2) Not that I know of. Here´s an overview of all known Puzzy titles known to exist:

http://www.atarimani...200-27_2_G.html

My theory is that only PG201 to PG205 were released by Puzzy. Then PG201 to PG209 were released under the Bit Corporation only brand. (for the true nerds: there's more of the label artwork to be seen on Puzzy labels than on the Bit Corporation only labels, so it's very likely that Bit Corporation only labels were released in a slightly later period. Also, Puzzy labels are much harder to find and often look older and in worse condition than Bit Corporation only labels).

I also agree that Stone Age is most likely the same as Dinograms.

Last but not least I have been studying Home Vision... ... ...Thanks for the migrane! :D

3) I've been asking myself that question many times. Don't know the exact answer to this.

4) Not 100% sure. Although the Emag GN-0X0 software lists contains the same titles as ZiMAG and Vidco together, the two Vidco proto's (A Mysterious Thief and Spinning Fireball) were never announced in any ZiMAG catalog or list.

5) AFAIK yes. Ample Ace labels were only found with Bit Corporation titles and model numbers on it.

6) Hot Shot officially released Taiwanese games in Germany, France, Great Britain and Finland.

BTW: The original Goliath brand released 4 Puzzy titles (with the Puzzy logo still onscreen).

7) That's very well possible, but still not 100% certain. BTW: Immies and Aggies was also released by SunScience as Spectracube Invasion:

http://www.atarimani...sion_16421.html

8 ) Interesting theory! Who knows? About CCE releasing ZiMAG proto's: I still believe that CCE's Stone Age is the same game as the announced Dinograms from ZiMAG:

http://www.atarimani...e-age_7500.html

All in all fascinating questions, Mr. Postman.

Now dig into Home Vision if you dare...

8)

Thanks for all the answers! They help a lot. :)

I grew up only 6.1 miles away from ZiMAG in what I would call an upper-middle class part of Los Angeles California. I highly doubt they were a pirate company, given the location. Possibly the name changes were because the original Bit title names were rediculous and unmarketable? I mean, Dishaster is much more pallatable than Dancing Plate (the point of the game is to not break dishes, afterall). I want my Mommy is a terrible name, but Open Sesame also didn't make any sense given the actual game content. Better question, did ZiMAG ever officially release any games that made it to consumer level that weren't Bit Corp titles? I count 4 games that ZiMAG released for sale in total - Cosmic Corridor(space Tunnel), I want my Mommy(open Sesame), Dishaster(Dancing Plates) & Tanks but no Tanks(Phantom Tank). These were all 100% Bit, and I can't think of another single real publisher that released Bit titles in the USA.

If I am incorrect, can you name a consumer-level Zimag cart-based game for Atari that I can buy that wasn't developed by Bit Corp or even name another official publisher in the USA that released a Bit Corp game?

This stuff is all so confusing.

You mentioned Bobby is Going Home was released as NTSC. What country was this released in, or were you refering to the NTSC prototype from Ample Ace?

Thanks again, RomHunter! :)

Edited by Mr. Postman

Better question, did ZiMAG ever officially release any games that made it to consumer level that weren't Bit Corp titles? I count 4 games that ZiMAG released for sale in total - Cosmic Corridor(space Tunnel), I want my Mommy(open Sesame), Dishaster(Dancing Plates) & Tanks but no Tanks(Phantom Tank). These were all 100% Bit, and I can't think of another single real publisher that released Bit titles in the USA.

If I am incorrect, can you name a consumer-level Zimag cart-based game for Atari that I can buy that wasn't developed by Bit Corp or even name another official publisher in the USA that released a Bit Corp game?

This stuff is all so confusing.

You mentioned Bobby is Going Home was released as NTSC. What country was this released in, or were you refering to the NTSC prototype from Ample Ace?

Thanks again, RomHunter! :)

Well, most Bit Corporation games that ZiMAG released were altered in some way or another, so I wouldn't call them 100% Bit Corp.

ZiMAG did not officially release any other game for the VCS.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Repro Immies and aggies was just sold on ebay, I hope the buyer knows! :(

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1608356040471?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&camp

http://www.atariage....that-never-was/

Yeah, seems like chuys450 is selling his collection, expect many more rarish repros. :( I am surprised he didn't say it isn't original.

Repro Immies and aggies was just sold on ebay, I hope the buyer knows! :(

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1608356040471?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=160835604047&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

http://www.atariage....that-never-was/

Yeah, seems like chuys450 is selling his collection, expect many more rarish repros. :( I am surprised he didn't say it isn't original.

Total bummer, I was willing to bid very high too until I did research. It's all too easy to be fooled these days. :(

Chuys repro-as-original ebay scam aside, can anybody tell me the changes that ZiMAG made in comparison to the normal Bit-corp releases that RomHunter mentioned? How are the ZiMAG releases any different from the Bit or Puzzy releases?

Edited by Mr. Postman