Photo

Mega STe CPU

3 replies to this topic

#1 Official Ninja ONLINE  

Official Ninja

River Patroller

• 2,675 posts

Posted Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:26 PM

I had previously posted about my Mega STe overheating but it turns out the CPU may have been on its way out.
The random screen jumping in Obsession was driving me nuts. I started noticing it would do it within a minute of the machine being booted.
This made me think it wasn't over heating.

So, I swapped chips from one Mega STe to the other and the jumping went away. However the Mega STe that received the CPU from the one I thought was over heating would locked when ever the "General" control panel app was loaded. (Took forever to figure that out).

This must be what kicks the CPU up to 16Mhz (if you have it saved at that speed). Swapped the old CPU back and it works fine.

So the cpu is shot. I searched ebay for the cpu, MC68HC000FN16 and ordered two from here:
eBay Auction -- Item Number: 380153987482

They are calling it a CMOS MPU?? Question is, did I order the right thing? Pretty cheap at $11 a piece.

The CPU that is currently working is a TS68000CFN16 I could not find any of those on ebay.
The MC68HC000FN16 that went bad is from my reconditioned Mega STe I purchased from Best Electronics less than a year ago.

#2 ParanoidLittleMan OFFLINE  

ParanoidLittleMan

Dragonstomper

• 519 posts

Posted Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:46 AM

You ordered proper CPU. MC.. is Motorola made, TS.. is by Thompson (SGS/Thompson) .

#3 macgoo OFFLINE  

macgoo

Chopper Commander

• 165 posts

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:05 PM

Many many arcade machines used the 16mhz chip so should be plenty floating about as spares still.

#4 Official Ninja ONLINE  

Official Ninja

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,675 posts

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:27 PM

Got the CPU today. Works great and all is fixed.
I wish $11 fixed everything. :D

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users