IGNORED

A challenge to Pac-Man Red! :-)

DracIsBack

Here's one for Pac Man Red, his fantastic design skills and Paint Shop Pro/Photoshop etc:

How would you do the graphics for RAMPAGE! on the 7800?

I always thought Spectral Dimensions either rushed the graphics for this or didn't hire particularly good artists. The game didn't scroll and there weren't "that many" objects. Never understood the Muppet Baby Monsters and the buildings with almost no detail. I did like the cars and I did like the title screen, but even things like the monster select screen looked lazily designed.

Sorry to call you out. You impressed me so much with Bubble Bobble and Bentley Bear that I could not resist. :-)

Hmm.. this is easier than I first thought. I think it's because the Rampage sprites use just a handful of colors, and the palette is very close to the 7800 one.

And everyone's favorite giant ape - King K...!!! I mean... George. :D:

post-26314-0-63102700-1342300860_thumb.png

Illya

These look great, especially the 12 color ones! How hard would it be for someone with the know how to hack these into the game? I guess it might be worth it assuming the game play is any good.. Loved the arcade, unfortunately I haven't played the 7800 version.. I do know the graphics are crappy..

Wow... If Atari had the talent the boards have now the 78 could have been a real contender back in the day. Great work! So what are the art constraints you work under when you do this? Max sprite size? Number of colors on screen? Colors per sprite? Its really interesting.

When I'm doing an arcade conversion I want to match the size, color, and distinguishing features as much as possible. Because our mind focuses on patterns to recognize one object from another, I take all of these factors into consideration.

Since what I'm doing here is basically an update to the Muppet Baby Monsters themselves, I thought, "Hey... Why not give them more colors so they look even more like the arcade?!?!" At the same time though, I wanted to show a more direct color translation. I believe that the existing game may be able to be hacked to have the updated 3-color sprites thrown into it, but for the 4 or 12 color sprites, a re-write would be needed.

Illya

This challenge was mostly to show that when Spectral Dimensions got the rights to re-make the game for the 7800, they could have done a better job on the monsters. Having said that, If anyone wants to hack the 7800 version, or make an enhanced version for the 7800 / XM - I will jump on board with them and finish the rest of the graphics. :)

Here's a comparison of the News/profile screen:

post-26314-0-01034700-1342494549_thumb.png

The Arcade screen on the right is regular size, and the 7800 screen on the left is double it's regular size. Just in case AA shirks the pic for some odd reason - Here is the Comparison pic, and the regular sized 7800 screen in a zip file:

Rampage News Screens.zip

Illya

PS - there is still a chance that I might get bored or have some free time, and add more Rampage conversion stuff in the future. :)

• Like 2

I believe that the existing game may be able to be hacked to have the updated 3-color sprites thrown into it, but for the 4 or 12 color sprites, a re-write would be needed.

Illya

These look great! And yes, the title screen would look great on a shirt.

I understand that the 3-color sprites could be hacked in directly, but what's the reason for the 4-color sprites? Would they be easier to use in a full re-write than the 12-color sprites? I don't know much about 7800 programming & I think I'm missing something.

I believe that the existing game may be able to be hacked to have the updated 3-color sprites thrown into it, but for the 4 or 12 color sprites, a re-write would be needed.

Illya

These look great! And yes, the title screen would look great on a shirt.

I understand that the 3-color sprites could be hacked in directly, but what's the reason for the 4-color sprites? Would they be easier to use in a full re-write than the 12-color sprites? I don't know much about 7800 programming & I think I'm missing something.

Essentially yes, the 4-color sprites would be easier than the 12-color ones to program with, which was also why so many games stuck with the 3 color sprites. The 7800 was definitely a console before it's time, and the time it had on the stage was too short.

Illya

• 2 months later...