Infocom Suspended "Mask"

Infocom Mask Suspended Atari 8-bit

19 replies to this topic

#1 Atari8bitCarts OFFLINE  

Atari8bitCarts

Stargunner

• 1,113 posts

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:13 PM

I've acquired some Atari 8-bit diskette sets. I thought since I collect mainly cartridges I'd see who might be interested in some of these.
The prize of the collection is the Infocom Suspended "Masked" version. These have been untouched for 25 years.
This is the one of the best copies I have seen. I don't think it was used.

Please PM me if you're interested in it. I would love to trade for A8 cartridges if possible.

Attached Thumbnails

• supended1.jpg
  • supended2.jpg
  • supended4.jpg
  • supended3.jpg
  • supended6.jpg
  • supended5.jpg

#2 orpheuswaking OFFLINE  

orpheuswaking

River Patroller

• 4,747 posts
  • Lone Raider Time!

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:12 PM

Doubt I have anything in my for sale/trade list that you want, but I've been looking for a reasonable Mask version for awhile (that isn't a bajillion bucks)

#3 MrFish ONLINE  

MrFish

River Patroller

• 2,291 posts
  • Serious Computerist

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:37 PM

Yea, the picture of the black face is what you look like when you find out how much you have to pay for a copy.

#4 orpheuswaking OFFLINE  

orpheuswaking

River Patroller

• 4,747 posts
  • Lone Raider Time!

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:43 PM

Yea, the picture of the black face is what you look like when you find out how much you have to pay for a copy.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

#5 jacobus OFFLINE  

jacobus

Moonsweeper

• 497 posts

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:26 AM

These sell quite consistently for around $150 on eBay. This one is in very good condition, but I'm not sure how much that would affect the price.

#6 Bryan ONLINE  

Bryan

Quadrunner

• 8,545 posts
  • Cruise Elroy = 4DB7

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:57 AM

Infocom was so awesome. I doubt you could get anyone to play a text adventure for more than 2 minutes today.

#7 davidcalgary29 OFFLINE  

davidcalgary29

River Patroller

• 4,588 posts

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:06 AM

Not true! I played The Lurking Horror and Enchanter on my 130XE for quite awhile last fall, and have AH's Lords of Karma on a multi-cart (and actually do play it from time to time). I must say that I was quite impressed with Infocom's latter-day parser, and only wish that they could have continued to produce games. I'd definitely buy another text adventure from Activision if they released an Infocom title (as long as they included some 'feelies' in the package).

#8 potatohead OFFLINE  

potatohead

River Patroller

• 4,201 posts

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:07 AM

A while back, I loaded a bunch of them onto one of those little HP Palmtop computers. I had won the thing in some raffle or other and never really used it. Some brave and kind soul had build frotz for it.

Tossed it in the back of the car where the kids proceeded to play the classics for hours. Well, it was a mini-van at the time. For a good year or so, that thing and several sets of "just in case" batteries were present and used on many a family trip. My oldest would often read it to the others, then asking "what do we want to do", with shouts of leave, get, east! LOL!! She would filter that out, input something, and then repeat for miles and miles. I really should have recorded that.

I love those things and will play the IF entries from time to time today. Lots of fun. As you said, awesome!

You know, somebody needs to take the classics and add aural presentation! Can you imagine ZORK with Dolby Surround? Even plain old stereo would be really cool. I would totally play it.

#9 davidcalgary29 OFFLINE  

davidcalgary29

River Patroller

• 4,588 posts

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:07 AM

These sell quite consistently for around $150 on eBay. This one is in very good condition, but I'm not sure how much that would affect the price.

Oh, I think it would sell for more. I haven't seen a 'masked' Suspended for the A8 in more than 25 years.

#10 Bryan ONLINE  

Bryan

Quadrunner

• 8,545 posts
  • Cruise Elroy = 4DB7

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:11 AM

Not true! I played The Lurking Horror and Enchanter on my 130XE for quite awhile last fall, and have AH's Lords of Karma on a multi-cart (and actually do play it from time to time). I must say that I was quite impressed with Infocom's latter-day parser, and only wish that they could have continued to produce games. I'd definitely buy another text adventure from Activision if they released an Infocom title (as long as they included some 'feelies' in the package).

Well, we might play it but I mean yank some kid off his Xbox and show it to him.

#11 Bryan ONLINE  

Bryan

Quadrunner

• 8,545 posts
  • Cruise Elroy = 4DB7

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:13 AM

Oh, I think it would sell for more. I haven't seen a 'masked' Suspended for the A8 in more than 25 years.

I've seen a couple on ebay in the past few years. I tend to think they could fetch over $200 in excellent shape.

#12 Atari8bitCarts OFFLINE  

Atari8bitCarts

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,113 posts

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:24 AM

Before I hit eBay, I thought to check the board to see if anyone wanted to trade for it, etc. I can see how these masks wouldn't make it very long. They're thin and delicate. Most I would think got crushed, etc. It's a great find, but I don't collect disks (it's hard enough to colect all the A8 carts). :)

#13 Bryan ONLINE  

Bryan

Quadrunner

• 8,545 posts
  • Cruise Elroy = 4DB7

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:27 AM

I believe the holy grail is the Starcross saucer. There was a sealed one that went for around $600-700 IIRC.

#14 davidcalgary29 OFFLINE  

davidcalgary29

River Patroller

• 4,588 posts

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:30 AM

Well, we might play it but I mean yank some kid off his Xbox and show it to him.

See, I think the problem is that no one has thought to adapt popular arcade games into text adventures. Just think of what you could do with Pac-Man Arcade!

>You are in a maze.

You see:

Dots
Improved graphics
Clyde

>GO NORTH

>I don't understand cardinal directions.
Clyde is advancing! He has pupils!

>UP

>What are you talking about?
Clyde has almost reached you! He has an uzi!

>GO F**K YOURSELF

>That is physically impossible.
You have died! (cheerful music plays)

#15 Bryan ONLINE  

Bryan

Quadrunner

• 8,545 posts
  • Cruise Elroy = 4DB7

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:14 AM

See, I think the problem is that no one has thought to adapt popular arcade games into text adventures. Just think of what you could do with Pac-Man Arcade!

Converting Pac-Man to an authentic (monotonous) text adventure would be awesome.

#16 sdamon ONLINE  

sdamon

Stargunner

• 1,106 posts

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:23 AM

Converting Pac-Man to an authentic (monotonous) text adventure would be awesome.

http://www.pac-txt.com/

#17 devwebcl OFFLINE  

devwebcl

Dragonstomper

• 899 posts

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:40 AM

http://www.pac-txt.com/

http://gury.atari8.i..._games/6210.htm

#18 Atari8bitCarts OFFLINE  

Atari8bitCarts

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,113 posts

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:15 PM

We've gone off topic a little :) but how fun would be text Pacman. He eats dots and runs from Ghosts, not much story line there :sleep: :skull:

#19 Atari8bitCarts OFFLINE  

Atari8bitCarts

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,113 posts

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:24 PM

Doubt I have anything in my for sale/trade list that you want, but I've been looking for a reasonable Mask version for awhile (that isn't a bajillion bucks)

Yea, I wish it weren't the case. I'm down to some really hard to get carts now. If no one speaks up it hits eBay next week I'm afraid.

#20 Bryan ONLINE  

Bryan

Quadrunner

• 8,545 posts
  • Cruise Elroy = 4DB7

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:25 PM

We've gone off topic a little :) but how fun would be text Pacman. He eats dots and runs from Ghosts, not much story line there :sleep: :skull:

It's every bit as awesome as the Chewbacca defense!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Infocom, Mask, Suspended, Atari 8-bit

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users