Photo

Mr. Wizard takes apart an Atari 1200XL

5 replies to this topic

#1 DesertJets OFFLINE  

DesertJets

Chopper Commander

• 215 posts

Posted Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:53 AM

Those of us of a certain age can remember this.

For those of you who don't want to click through, Mr. Wizard takes apart an Atari 1200XL to show what is inside. Then goes to disassemble an Atari joystick to show what is inside that. Now I remember this episode fairly clearly. It inspired my 5/6 year old self to go into my dad's workshop, dig out a #2 Phillips screwdriver take apart my Atari joystick, which I did successfully put back together. I think I did also try to play a game just pushing the membrane buttons on the circuit board.

And for those paying extra attention will note the Vectrex in the background.

#2 Rybags ONLINE  

Rybags

Quadrunner

• 12,748 posts

Posted Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:05 AM

Thanks for the view boost...

I actually sourced the ep and edited the segment out after someone here mentioned it a year or 2 ago.

#3 DesertJets OFFLINE  

DesertJets

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 215 posts

Posted Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:39 AM

No problem. It just showed up in my recommended videos feed this morning -- watch one Mr. Wizard video and a whole bunch of retro gaming stuff = your vid.

IDK if you already have it up on YouTube but I do remember a later episode where he is showing of MSFS2, I am almost 100% he is running it on an IBM PCJr.

#4 jaybird3rd ONLINE  

jaybird3rd

Quadrunner

• 6,997 posts

Posted Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:45 PM

I remember that segment very well. I was already into the Atari 800 computers, so I recognized the 1200XL immediately even though I hadn't seen that particular model before. I think this was the first time I had ever seen a computer opened and explained in this way, and I always remember it whenever I explain computer architecture to my students today.

I'd highly recommend the entire Mr. Wizard's World DVD collection. I picked up all eight volumes earlier this year. I don't believe they include every episode ever filmed, which is too bad, but they did manage to include lots of segments featuring classic computers. Besides the 1200XL segment, I remember a demonstration of a Vectrex light pen, a demonstration of Logo on an IBM PC, and a few segments featuring a TRS-80 Model 12 running some simple BASIC programs and an old word processor from Microsoft called Scriptsit. There were also a few shows which featured a Heathkit HERO 1 robot.

#5 Rex Dart ONLINE  

Rex Dart

Quadrunner

• 6,281 posts
  • NO CASH VALUE

Posted Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:24 PM

Can't view youtube from where I'm at currently; is this the video where he identifies the RAM chips as the system's eight bits?

#6 SlowCoder OFFLINE  

SlowCoder

River Patroller

• 3,686 posts

Posted Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:52 PM

Thanks for sharing that. That is a series of shows I never got to see as a kid. I think I need to do some YT digging for Mr. Wizard!

P.S. I think he lost the fire button spring.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users