IGNORED

Ultimate 1MB ROM Generator

AtariGeezer

Ultimate 1MB ROM Generator's ROM Description  

27 members have voted

1. 1. When entering a Description for a ROM, what is easier for you?

• 1) Enter a Description after a ROM is loaded
    • 2) Enter a Description of a ROM even if it isn't loaded first
  2. 2. If you selected #2 Above, would you prefer to have the program:

• A) Change the Description's Color to RED to Remind you to load a ROM for it's Slot
    • B) Leave the Description's Color as Black
    • C) I chose #1

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

A few notes Jay (seeing that it annoys you I am not calling them bugs anymore ;)),

- The new message for saving changes (both ROM changes and Description Changes) only displayed if the user exits the program by clicking the red x on the upper right hand side of the window, menu option Exit still quits with no message.

- "Not saved" message for the ROM changes and "Not saved" message for the text changes are inconsistent. Clicking No to the former lets you stay in the program, clicking No to the latter exits the program.

- When there are changes to both ROMs and Descriptions, both warning messages are displayed one after the other. A consolidated single message for ANY change would do the trick and provide consistancy between the actions taken.

Edited by atari8warez

Candle spotted a bug where the background of the Disabled Description Box turned white after highlighting the existing text.

This update fixes that :)

Ultimate1Mb ROM Generator v2.zip

Jay

Wow, that's really a major fix..... way to go jay.... ;)

Yet, exit without save bug still exists i guess that's because i found it, not Candle...

Edited by atari8warez

Yet, exit without save bug still exists i guess that's because i found it, not Candle...

And you wonder why people have a problem with you? Amazing.

No normal people don't have a problem with me and I don't have problem with those people. Only some do (you know who they are), and I have no problem with that... ;)

If reporting a bug is considered being obnoxious, then you should be concerned about the author not me...

One note for future reference, I don't mess around with people until they mess around with me... and mess around I will no matter who they are...

Edited by atari8warez

No normal people don't have a problem with me and I don't have problem with people. Only some do (you know who they are), and I have no problem with that... ;)

I think you'll find the problem is more widespread that you assume. It's your apparent persecution complex and the arsey attitude that goes with it that pisses people off. It should be obvious that it's not the bug reporting that's getting up people's noses, but petulant remarks that followed. Are you actually implying that the author would intentionally leave a bug unaddressed purely because it was you who reported it? Because this is how it's coming across. Have you ever stopped to wonder why the people who appear to be unable to get along with you can get along just fine with everyone else?

• Like 2

Bad Candle....bad boy... :P :lol: :cool:

Santos please don't distort the subject, I have no problem with Candle whatsoever. The problem is some people will go to great lengths to kiss his (and other's) ass, like fixing a trivial bug like the color of the input field yet ignoring functional errors like quitting the program without saving changes made by the user :)

Edited by atari8warez

No normal people don't have a problem with me and I don't have problem with people. Only some do (you know who they are), and I have no problem with that... ;)

I think you'll find the problem is more widespread that you assume. It's your apparent persecution complex and the arsey attitude that goes with it that pisses people off. It should be obvious that it's not the bug reporting that's getting up people's noses, but petulant remarks that followed. Are you actually implying that the author would intentionally leave a bug unaddressed purely because it was you who reported it? Because this is how it's coming across. Have you ever stopped to wonder why the people who appear to be unable to get along with you can get along just fine with everyone else?

Yes I am implying that, in fact I am more than implying it, I am saying that's the reason why he ignores a more serious error and instead fixes a trivial bug. Kissing ass apparently has become a trend in this community, and the people who's ass constantly being kissed seem to be happy with the situation (not surprisingly). If I am wrong in my thinking you tell me why otherwise he chose to ignore a more serious bug.

I don't know who exactly I am pissing off, but People with big fat egos are probably among them, and that's fine with me, IMO a little modesty is what's needed to fix this situation.

And last but not least Atarigeezer brought this upon himself by making stupid comments and name calling while I was trying to talk to Candle, so he has no right to complain now.. ;)

And when you are referring to a group of people when you say "problem is more widespread" (and I assume that's the gang you are part of) it really doesn't concern me as there are thousands of other people in this community that I have no problem with whatsoever.

Edited by atari8warez

4 Options are in the drop down box

Load Rom

Save Rom

Create ATR

Exit

If your foolish enough to Exit before saving then REDO ALL.

seems clear enough to all. Except you.

4 Options are in the drop down box

Load Rom

Save Rom

Create ATR

Exit

If your foolish enough to Exit before saving then REDO ALL.

seems clear enough to all. Except you.

It doesn't matter how foolish I may be, it's the programmer's task to make sure the code is solid as can be, the rest is just an excuse for bad programming practices... And what's apparently not clear enough to you is that fixing a color problem has very little practical benefit compared to fixing a functional error that may cost the user more than a few keystrokes to redo. And I am sure you never curse a piece of software that quits quietly without saving your changes. .

Edited by atari8warez

This update adds the Save options to the Exit Menu, as in the normal way to Exit with the [X] Close Button ;)

@Ray, you are still on *Ignore* due to your behavior. This means that I do not see your posts as they are hidden from view :) This is a Forum Feature....

If/When you can behave *Normally* and leave out the whiny/condescending remarks, I'll consider removing you from Ignore...

Jay

own

This update adds the Save options to the Exit Menu, as in the normal way to Exit with the [X] Close Button ;)

@Ray, you are still on *Ignore* due to your behavior. This means that I do not see your posts as they are hidden from view :) This is a Forum Feature....

If/When you can behave *Normally* and leave out the whiny/condescending remarks, I'll consider removing you from Ignore...

Jay

Heh!, look at who's talking and who's giving me advice about * bad behaviour *. You know Jay, you have lot of nerves buddy, just browse through your old replies to U1MB thread for a sample of * real bad behavior *. I have no problem you ignoring me so long as you don't ignore your own programming errors ;)

Edited by atari8warez

own

Jay

Heh!, look at who's talking and who's giving me advice about * bad behaviour *. You know Jay, you have lot of nerves buddy, just browse through your old replies to U1MB thread for a sample of * real bad behavior *. I have no problem you ignoring me so long as you don't ignore your own programming errors ;)

You do realise he's ignoring you and won't see this right? ;)

own

Jay

You do realise he's ignoring you and won't see this right? ;)

Now that you quoted me, he will ;), that ignore feature is a joke for the forum if you ask me, although I must admit it works fine for PM, he was on my ignore list for a while now :)

Edited by atari8warez

^ This

• 2 months later...

From what I understand is that there are two different Ultimate1MB's.

I have two from the first batch. So I guess I can't use all the features on the ROM Generator.

Or can I?

Besides, what I am missing is a Ultimate1MB source website. It seems files and updates are scattered over this forum.

is someone already collection information about the ultimate1mb?

From what I understand is that there are two different Ultimate1MB's.

I have two from the first batch. So I guess I can't use all the features on the ROM Generator.

Or can I?

Without Sebastian to ask, I'll venture there are two different Xilinx firmware revisions out there: the first without PBI emulation support, and a later version with. While the boards are physically identical, those from the first batch require a Xilinx firmware upgrade in order to support the more recently implemented features. There's a guide to doing this (which I wrote), and it'll be on my website soon.

Besides, what I am missing is a Ultimate1MB source website. It seems files and updates are scattered over this forum.

is someone already collection information about the ultimate1mb?

Everything's available in one place or another, but it would certainly make sense to centralize. I'll be hosting the PBI ROM (and BIOS: necessarily they come as a unit) at atari8.co.uk soon, and maybe the whole ROM image, providing Sebastian has no objections. Perhaps Jay would allow the ROM Generator to be hosted in the same place? I'll ask him: in any case, Sebastian may want to host things himself, but I know he has no time at the moment.

Perhaps Jay would allow the ROM Generator to be hosted in the same place? I'll ask him: in any case, Sebastian may want to host things himself, but I know he has no time at the moment.

Sure thing, having a central location is certainly logical :)

Besides the update thread in this forum, being hosted on a page for the Ultimate1MB would be a good thing...

Another idea would be to make a sticky-post on the top.

Because I have no idea what GUI, BIOS, RSVD and PBI means.

Also, I have no clue what to do with the 4 basic rom options.

But back to original question. Can I use the Rom Generator with the older firmware?

Basically what I 'need' at the moment is a way to update the SDX, and place a MyBios inside the U1MB.

I was away for about a year, just after I got the U1MB's. Last week I finally had time to install them. And found that there is already a newer model :P

Updating through JTAG would certainly be done. Can you already tell us what hardware we have to buy (on eBay) to make the update work?

Terms used are:

GUI = the Graphical User Interface that FJC is working on that will be included in the future.

BIOS = the code space used to control the Ultimte1MB.

RSVD = short for "Reserved for future expansion".

PBI = the code space to interface external Hard Drives and devices like IDE+, SIDE, MyIDE and similar...

This is the Memory Map used in the two versions.

U1MB Rev1:

0x000000 - 0x04FFFF SDX

0x050000 - 0x053FFF BIOS code space

0x054000 - 0x05FFFF Reserved for Extended Bios

0x060000 - 0x061FFF BASIC

0x062000 - 0x063FFF 8k GAME cartridge

0x064000 - 0x06FFFF Reserved

0x070000 - 0x073FFF 1st OS slot

0x074000 - 0x077FFF 2nd OS slot

0x078000 - 0x07BFFF 3rd OS slot

0x07C000 - 0x07FFFF 4th OS slot

U1MB Rev2:

0x000000 - 0x03FFFF SDX

0x040000 - 0x04FFFF GUI code space

0x050000 - 0x053FFF BIOS code space

0x054000 - 0x057FFF Reserved

0x058000 - 0x05FFFF PBI Code Space

0x060000 - 0x067FFF BASIC Slots (4)

0x068000 - 0x06FFFF GAME Slots (4)

0x070000 - 0x073FFF 1st OS slot

0x074000 - 0x077FFF 2nd OS slot

0x078000 - 0x07BFFF 3rd OS slot

0x07C000 - 0x07FFFF 4th OS slot

So if your U1MB has the first generation code in the CPLD (which requires the Xilinx interface & JTAG cable to program), then this is what to do:

1) Load an existing Rev1, 512k U1MB ROM image.

2) Use a 256k or 320k SDX ROM image to update.

3) Do not load anything in to the GUI, BIOS, RSVD and PBI spaces.

4) You can load any 8k Basic, Application or Game ROM in to the 1st Basic Slot. (Slots 2 to 4 are for use in Rev2)

5) If you have an XEGS, you can load any 8k Game Rom in to the 2nd Basic Slot.

As far as hardware goes, there are Xilinx LPT (parallel port) and USB versions that can be used...

Edited by AtariGeezer
  • Like 1