is there a joystick practicing program?

7 replies to this topic

#1 ProWizard OFFLINE  

ProWizard

River Patroller

• 2,918 posts

Posted Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:28 AM

Hi!

My 3 year (almost 4) years old daughter is very interested in the atari. Good for her!

Although she is getting the way a joystick works, what she really needs is some kind of a game without enemies or time running out.

What is needed is a platform where you can walk with a character... perhaps jump or shoot something, but all static. Like a playground.

Does this exist?

If not... I guess I'm going to write something. But I'm afraid by the time I finished it, she already knows how everything works, so that's why I asked here...

Thanks
M.

#2 Fres OFFLINE  

Fres

Dragonstomper

• 659 posts

Posted Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:29 AM

My kids (5 and 7) don't presently have that much interest in my Atari or arcade stuff, but I have found that Pac-Man is a pretty good training tool (except that you don't use the fire button). You can always just press START to start over. Space Invaders helps with the fire button. Being able to start over is the key, imo.

Congrats. Sounds like you'll have a "2up" soon.

#3 Bunsen OFFLINE  

Bunsen

Dragonstomper

• 554 posts

Posted Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:44 AM

My 4-years-old son loves to play Cookie Monster from Filippo. Not too much action, but nice to practice with a joystick.

#4 Sub(Function(:)) OFFLINE  

Sub(Function(:))

Moonsweeper

• 409 posts

Posted Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:29 PM

You could always write something simple like "Simon"…

4 square blocks one the screen, (low resolution mode) and she has to follow the pattern, progressively getting harder. give each colour a sound... etc either as is, or make a cross, one square at the top row, two in the middle, and one at the bottom then it matches the joystick directions

Later for an enhancement you could add mouse control, and make the colours harder to hit by making them smaller as the difficulty goes up.

#5 Nukey Shay OFFLINE  

Nukey Shay

Sheik Yerbouti

• 20,921 posts

Posted Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:32 PM

How about the Adventure Creator cartridge?

#6 MrFish ONLINE  

MrFish

Stargunner

• 1,912 posts
  • Serious Computerist

Posted Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:38 PM

Jane's Program might be enjoyable for her to toy around with.

#7 devwebcl OFFLINE  

devwebcl

Dragonstomper

• 864 posts

Posted Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:24 PM

You could always write something simple like "Simon"…

4 square blocks one the screen, (low resolution mode) and she has to follow the pattern, progressively getting harder. give each colour a sound... etc either as is, or make a cross, one square at the top row, two in the middle, and one at the bottom then it matches the joystick directions

Later for an enhancement you could add mouse control, and make the colours harder to hit by making them smaller as the difficulty goes up.

there are already a few simon games, I remember "recall" from Antic magazine.
http://atarimagazine.../education.html

Edited by devwebcl, Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:51 PM.

#8 therealbountybob OFFLINE  

therealbountybob

River Patroller

• 4,972 posts
  • Recruiting players for the High Score Club

Posted Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:35 PM

Hi!

My 3 year (almost 4) years old daughter is very interested in the atari. Good for her!

Although she is getting the way a joystick works, what she really needs is some kind of a game without enemies or time running out.

What is needed is a platform where you can walk with a character... perhaps jump or shoot something, but all static. Like a playground.

Does this exist?

If not... I guess I'm going to write something. But I'm afraid by the time I finished it, she already knows how everything works, so that's why I asked here...

Thanks
M.

YES!
Gwobby Strikes Back - Kiddies Mode (press select) just got to learn not to fall off the edges; can jump shoot go up and down ladders with a bit of luck ;) also try Sea Horses and Alf in the Color Caves plus River Rat is fun with a bit of help as it's just left right movement :) [also checkout Jane's Program ]

p.s. Sign her up for the HSC :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users