Photo

Which cart am I?

782 replies to this topic

#276 Gateway OFFLINE  

Gateway

River Patroller

• 2,149 posts
  • Trotter Atari Globetrotter now on Facebook!

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012 9:44 PM

Before thegoldenband posts again..

The answer is " 'Cos Mic Creeps "

The clue: Why do the Rolling Stones keep waking up in the middle of the night?

Attached Thumbnails

• carnac-the-magnificent.jpg

Edited by Gateway, Wed Aug 8, 2012 9:45 PM.

#277 Cortat G OFFLINE  

Cortat G

Dragonstomper

• 708 posts
  • Minor lacerations detected.

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012 10:04 PM

Air-Sea Battle?

#278 thegoldenband OFFLINE  

thegoldenband

River Patroller

• 3,907 posts

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012 10:13 PM

The answer is " 'Cos Mic Creeps "

The clue: Why do the Rolling Stones keep waking up in the middle of the night?

Heh. And: nice surprise to see Carnac!

Air-Sea Battle?

Nope!

#279 bomberpunk OFFLINE  

bomberpunk

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,068 posts
  • i hoard video games.

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2012 2:44 AM

let's make some tweaks to this game for those of us who feel lost.

(amendment 1) at least one clue must pertain to label art
(amendment 2) at least one clue must pertain to the gameplay itself (genre, objects, p.o.v., colors, ...any aspect)
(amendment 3) more than three clues can be given, to cater to the more creative/impressive route seen in recent entries.

edit: it does not need to be pointed out what each clue is for.

Edited by bomberpunk, Thu Aug 9, 2012 2:47 AM.

#280 Schizophretard OFFLINE  

Schizophretard

River Patroller

• 2,780 posts

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2012 3:53 AM

let's make some tweaks to this game for those of us who feel lost.

(amendment 1) at least one clue must pertain to label art
(amendment 2) at least one clue must pertain to the gameplay itself (genre, objects, p.o.v., colors, ...any aspect)
(amendment 3) more than three clues can be given, to cater to the more creative/impressive route seen in recent entries.

edit: it does not need to be pointed out what each clue is for.

That makes perfect sense but it would be funny if thegoldenband's clues already fit these amendments. It is starting to feel like we need clues to guess the meaning of the clues. It gets kind of hard looking through all 615 of Rom Hunter's original releases. Which makes me think of another amendment but it is your game so, it is up to you. Can there be an amendment that we can only use the original release versions of the game? I have been doing this the whole time but someone could potentially pick label art or hacked game play of a pirate version which there are thousands of. I'm not saying it in the strict sense that I've been doing it with Rom's 615 like the original box and label variation. I'm just asking for an amendment for no pirated versions because that could make it impossible. Also, can label art be box, manual, comic, and/or cart while allowing words and not just the art? In other words, can amendment one be anything to do with packaging and amendment two be anything on screen?

#281 bomberpunk OFFLINE  

bomberpunk

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,068 posts
  • i hoard video games.

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2012 5:33 AM

label/box/manual usually match. for comics (swordquest, yars' revenge, etc), sure why not. since manual contents (actual scans or text-only) are archived in the AA database, i would say all those are game.

yes to original releases only (plus final homebrew releases, not WIPs). NTSC and PAL. no pirates and no variants (i.e. yellow text Superman is still Superman)

how does that sound?

#282 thegoldenband OFFLINE  

thegoldenband

River Patroller

• 3,907 posts

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2012 9:23 AM

In my case, all three clues pertain to the gameplay. The proposed rules sound reasonable enough, though I think wordplay based on the title should fulfill the "something about the game's packaging" requirement.

I have to admit that, as a fan of puzzles and cryptic crosswords, I like the clues to have at least a little bit of meta, if only to keep it from just being an exercise in Googling.

Anyway, here's a fourth clue:

4) Distance x speed = 29,341,146,684,164.8

#283 Omegamatrix OFFLINE  

Omegamatrix

Quadrunner

• 5,490 posts

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2012 10:07 PM

Are these units imperial or metric?

#284 thegoldenband OFFLINE  

thegoldenband

River Patroller

• 3,907 posts

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2012 10:26 PM

Truth be told, I don't know! They're just, uh, what I've been given to work with. :)

#285 Schizophretard OFFLINE  

Schizophretard

River Patroller

• 2,780 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:55 AM

In my case, all three clues pertain to the gameplay. The proposed rules sound reasonable enough, though I think wordplay based on the title should fulfill the "something about the game's packaging" requirement.

I have to admit that, as a fan of puzzles and cryptic crosswords, I like the clues to have at least a little bit of meta, if only to keep it from just being an exercise in Googling.

I can understand that more than just Googling is desirable but the clues should be clear enough to point you in the right direction and not be so vague that you need clues to figure out the clues. When I saw this:

1. The one in the middle doesn't belong.
2. The first two letters are all wrong.
3. Lots of tones, but hardly a song.

I started subtracting the middle letters and either switching the first two letters or subtracting them also from every title looking for a word that would mean," Lots of tones, but hardly a song." and then figuring out what the rhyming is about in the clues. I spent hours doing that. Now I find out that I was wasting my time because it has to do with game play and the new clue sounds like a hint to time travel to get all that wasted time back. Therefore, both Time Pilot and Time Warp fit the clues perfectly. :)

#286 Master Phruby OFFLINE  

Master Phruby

River Patroller

• 2,496 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:59 AM

I think we need a beginner's level for this game.

#287 Chuck D. Head OFFLINE  

Chuck D. Head

River Patroller

• 3,179 posts
  • Mod Mod Mod

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:47 AM

Alpha Beam with Ernie

#288 Waggie OFFLINE  

Waggie

Moonsweeper

• 398 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:57 AM

1. The one in the middle doesn't belong.
2. The first two letters are all wrong.
3. Lots of tones, but hardly a song.

The only thing I can come up with is Pac-Man. The second clue might be referencing the original name Puc-Man?

#289 thegoldenband OFFLINE  

thegoldenband

River Patroller

• 3,907 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:57 AM

Hmmm, sorry to disappoint, Schizophretard. My clues were actually meant to be quite direct (in a roundabout way).

@Chuck D. Head: Nope, but you've got the right idea for what clue #2 is getting at: something involving "A" and "B".

#290 bomberpunk OFFLINE  

bomberpunk

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,068 posts
  • i hoard video games.

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:15 PM

posts #286/287 are hilarious together.

#291 Schizophretard OFFLINE  

Schizophretard

River Patroller

• 2,780 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:38 PM

Hmmm, sorry to disappoint, Schizophretard. My clues were actually meant to be quite direct (in a roundabout way).

@Chuck D. Head: Nope, but you've got the right idea for what clue #2 is getting at: something involving "A" and "B".

The difficulty switches are backwards? A is Beginner and B is Advanced?

#292 thegoldenband OFFLINE  

thegoldenband

River Patroller

• 3,907 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:51 PM

Yes indeed!

#293 Master Phruby OFFLINE  

Master Phruby

River Patroller

• 2,496 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:58 PM

The difficulty switches are backwards? A is Beginner and B is Advanced?

Damm. I remember that! That use to drive me nuts on this game. What was it?

#294 Chuck D. Head OFFLINE  

Chuck D. Head

River Patroller

• 3,179 posts
  • Mod Mod Mod

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:02 PM

Air Raiders (M Network) I think. I can't work out any other clues to match up, though.

#295 Chuck D. Head OFFLINE  

Chuck D. Head

River Patroller

• 3,179 posts
  • Mod Mod Mod

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:31 PM

Bugs! is another one with reversed difficulty that doesn't fit any other clues. I just wanted to mention it because I hated it so much in the day. Back in the day when I was trying to play it with a joystick, that is. Wait a tick, the one in the middle is a lizard and doesn't belong with the bugs?

Edit: Yup thats it! Distance and speed show up on the box.

Edited by Chuck D. Head, Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:33 PM.

#296 thegoldenband OFFLINE  

thegoldenband

River Patroller

• 3,907 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:39 PM

Chuck's got it!

Posted Image

In retrospect maybe I should've rephrased my third clue, which was meant to address the fact that the game has this constant two-tone sonic motif that isn't really a song. I wanted to say "lots of semitones" but technically many of those intervals are too out-of-tune to be called semitones...

BTW I like Bugs! I'm almost alone in that, but I think it's a great twitch game that fires some of the same neural circuits as Kaboom. I don't know why it's so hated, personally; it's one of the few VCS games I've played for high score -- I almost rolled the easier difficulty once, but then I gave away my best paddles.

#297 Mxyzptlk OFFLINE  

Mxyzptlk

Stargunner

• 1,024 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:05 PM

Bugs! is another one with reversed difficulty that doesn't fit any other clues. I just wanted to mention it because I hated it so much in the day. Back in the day when I was trying to play it with a joystick, that is. Wait a tick, the one in the middle is a lizard and doesn't belong with the bugs?

Edit: Yup thats it! Distance and speed show up on the box.

Another one I would never have guessed. Is'nt there a few more that have the difficulty settings backwards?

#298 Chuck D. Head OFFLINE  

Chuck D. Head

River Patroller

• 3,179 posts
  • Mod Mod Mod

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:53 PM

Ok, I got a good one, but's it's on the clipboard of my home machine. I will ctrl-V it around 5:30PDT.

#299 Chuck D. Head OFFLINE  

Chuck D. Head

River Patroller

• 3,179 posts
  • Mod Mod Mod

Posted Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:39 AM

Sorry, I got distracted by shiny things. Anyways:

1 - Storm clouds do not have a silver lining
2 - Beware the burning discharge!
3 - Air / Sea Battle
4 - Evil eyes

Edited by Chuck D. Head, Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:51 AM.

#300 Schizophretard OFFLINE  

Schizophretard

River Patroller

• 2,780 posts

Posted Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:17 AM

Chuck's got it!

Posted Image

In retrospect maybe I should've rephrased my third clue, which was meant to address the fact that the game has this constant two-tone sonic motif that isn't really a song. I wanted to say "lots of semitones" but technically many of those intervals are too out-of-tune to be called semitones...

BTW I like Bugs! I'm almost alone in that, but I think it's a great twitch game that fires some of the same neural circuits as Kaboom. I don't know why it's so hated, personally; it's one of the few VCS games I've played for high score -- I almost rolled the easier difficulty once, but then I gave away my best paddles.

And in retrospect your clues look less vague now. :dunce:

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users