IGNORED

Serial number tag says 2800 console?

OldAtariKid

Hello, this is my first post on this website. I am hoping to get an answer to this very strange question. I recently picked up a 4-port Atari 5200 with a few games at a local flea market. The unit worked perfectly so I began cleaning it up. That's when I noticed the serial number tag. It lists the console as a 2800??? Here is a picture of the tag, what's up with this:

DSCF0239.jpg

Edited by OldAtariKid

The only thing I can think of that is was mistankly labeled with 2800 stickers... I'm not sure of the logistics that Atari used. Like, did they have a roll of preprinted labels with serial numbers on them, and they accidently got the 2800 stickers in the 5200 pile, and labeled some with the 2800 stickers? Its very odd. I wish we knew more....

• 2 weeks later...

My first thought back when I first saw those pics was, "PhotoShop." I waited to see how it would play out, but I still think it looks PhotoShopped.

This was not photoshopped. If there is any type of proof I can provide, short of shipping the console to you, let me know and I will absolutely provide it.

• 1 year later...

Bump. Look at the FCC Class. It should be Class C - for consumer - not Class B [business]. All "home computers and consoles of the time had to be C certified in order to connect to a TV. Class C caused the A8 line to not have internal expansion slots like the Apple // line. Why on Earth is this Class B on a 5200?

• 1 year later...

Bump. Look at the FCC Class. It should be Class C - for consumer - not Class B [business]. All "home computers and consoles of the time had to be C certified in order to connect to a TV. Class C caused the A8 line to not have internal expansion slots like the Apple // line. Why on Earth is this Class B on a 5200?

So as far as I can tell, there is no Class C. At least none of the FCC documents I can find have such a thing. They have only two such classes, Class A and B. A is for industrial devices and is the less stringent of the two. It mostly covers devices that will be used in electrical noisy environments so as long as the leakage is low it won't have much of an effect anyway. Class B is for consumer devices and is much harder to meet. It demands that interference from the device will not effect other devices around the home.

Reading over various materials, it appears that the standard Atari built to was somewhat overdesigned. Bushnell later commented that the standard had "no teeth", but it's not clear what this means. It is clear the later machines had much less shielding and met a greatly reduced standard of some sort, but it's not clear whether that was due to matching a different standard entirely, the standard being changed, or people just ignoring it.

• 2 months later...

Really kind of forgot about this post. I was petty jacked when someone accused me of photoshop. I have never been able to find any info on this but I still have the unit packed away in its original box.

Ya it's an oddity as this is what an actual Japanese 2800 serial sticker looks like:

post-23929-127918752443_thumb.jpg