IGNORED

My Wii died... what about my Virtual Console and WiiWare games?

dafivehole

Sorry, but unlike the PS3 and Xbox, your VC and Wii-Ware purchases aren't tied to an account but to the console itself.

So, the only way to transfer your VC and Wii-Ware purchases from your dead Wii to a new one is if you send your dead Wii to Nintendo for repair. If they can't repair your old Wii, they will send you a refurb unit.... but you must request that Nintendo transfer your online purchases to a refurb unit as Nintendo won't automatically do so.

Nintendo is loosening these rules a little bit with the 3DS as you can transfer purchases with the handheld.

Mendon

• Like 1

Sorry, but unlike the PS3 and Xbox, your VC and Wii-Ware purchases aren't tied to an account but to the console itself.

So, the only way to transfer your VC and Wii-Ware purchases from your dead Wii to a new one is if you send your dead Wii to Nintendo for repair. If they can't repair your old Wii, they will send you a refurb unit.... but you must request that Nintendo transfer your online purchases to a refurb unit as Nintendo won't automatically do so.

Nintendo is loosening these rules a little bit with the 3DS as you can transfer purchases with the handheld.

Mendon

That happened to me when I sold my original Wii and got the Mario Anniversary console. I even called Nintendo and was told all my downloads were tied to that one console. That's what's soured me on their downloads.

Hmmm... What about if you have your games on the SD card? Can they be recovered to work on another Wii?

Some saves are locked to the console, just like Wii-Ware games; some saves can be freely moved/transferred.

I know Animal Crossing is an example of a game save that can't be moved to another console.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

If you end up getting another one I highly recommend homebrewing it. That way you can get apps to back up your game saves, run some fun Ocarina cheats and do what what you want with your data and also play NES and Atari games that you've paid for a hundred times over.

I've re-grown grass in Animal Crossing. Transferred saves and given myself infinite health in Resident Evil 4. Fun stuff.

I'm not talking USB driving it although its obviously possible but at the very least homebrew it so you can do want you want.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that there are homebrew apps to let you transfer locked-down saves, too. I believe I did something like that in order to load a downloaded Tatsunoko vs Capcom save.

yeah its this one:

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/SaveGame_Manager_GX

SaveGame Manager GX

I use it to back up my Animal Crossing town onto memory card.

Stick memory card into PC and edit the town with this:

http://actoolkit.com/

:)

I backed up my Mario Kart Wii save and also transferred the save file to another wii. Its insanely hard to unlock all the cars and stuff in that game.