IGNORED

ZZap! 64 issue 1, top C64 programmers say A8 is best

high voltage

I would still like a clear, definitive answer from Emkay to the question 'What have you written?'.

I think he answered the question. It's maybe not rocket science, but IMHO contains some interesting ideas (for that time) put into something runnable.

I never thought that I would come to defence him (and he may deserves some bashing :) ), but continually asking what he has done and boasting with own abilities doesn't make the counterpart more likeable. (Using bad language (esp. in conjunction with diseases of disabled persons (in the other forum)) doesn't make it better!)

Edited by Irgendwer
  • Like 1

Sorry all.. Alcohol plus internet access on too many contraptions and a bad day for other reasons meant my brain misfired on an awesomely retarded scale and I failed to keep a lid on it.. Remedial action has been taken.. And Emkay, I bow to your programming prowess now and in the future.. I was clearly wrong and have a lot to learn..

Apologies for the disruption to 'normal' service.. Won't happen again :)

Now... Fast PM updates or something wasn't it ?

• Like 1

well to be fair after sitting as a target for his rants about being part of a group of C64 fanboys whose only aim in being here is to somehow ruin things for theAtari and being questioned plenty enough about my own credentials I can see how someone was going to snap sooner or later and tell him what they really thought - alcohol or not. The only thing that surprises me was that it wasn't me who did it.

I don't exactly have a long, stunning history to parade around (so I don't), but the way Emkay speaks I would've expected the kind of history that would make Archer Mclean jealous.

back to the sprites...

well to be fair after sitting as a target for his rants about being part of a group of C64 fanboys whose only aim in being here is to somehow ruin things for theAtari and being questioned plenty enough about my own credentials I can see how someone was going to snap sooner or later and tell him what they really thought - alcohol or not. The only thing that surprises me was that it wasn't me who did it.

I don't exactly have a long, stunning history to parade around (so I don't), but the way Emkay speaks I would've expected the kind of history that would make Archer Mclean jealous.

back to the sprites...

In the other thread, you can read about hill climbing theory, it inhabits stuff like local maximum and global maximum. Could be useful for guys like you, to understand it.

Every time I think to reply to name calling etc. I remember:

"Don't mess around with idiots - they pull you down to their level and beat you with experience!"

and I desist from answering...

Back to the topic: Just prepare PMG-data for different vertical positions at different PMG-bases and switch between them (only one register write). Don't care about memory limitations.

Back to the topic: Just prepare PMG-data for different vertical positions at different PMG-bases and switch between them (only one register write). Don't care about memory limitations.

This restricts you to 1 freely vertical moved PM object. Could be interesting to build a graphicscluster with that, to create the protagonist, or other effects.

am I right in thinking that the easiest way to add a bit of colour to a game would be to have a highlight/shadow colour pair in my background graphics (which you'd need anyway to draw background graphics) and you could underlay a double-width player under the softsprite to give a freely chosen player colour (same as using the freely selecable colour on C64 sprites) to add some colour to the sprite?

I seem to remember some lengthy explainations about how the colours interact though - if I don't want the colours to have any effect on each other and just appear as chosen by me what are the restrictions?

I'm weighing up doing a little game, but I've just gotten my head around making it work with the C64 colour restrictions and I'm wondering if I can get it to work with the A8 as well...

Edited by sack-c0s

am I right in thinking that the easiest way to add a bit of colour to a game would be to have a highlight/shadow colour pair in my background graphics (which you'd need anyway to draw background graphics) and you could underlay a double-width player under the softsprite to give a freely chosen player colour (same as using the freely selecable colour on C64 sprites) to add some colour to the sprite?

AFAI understand this should work. You may like to try out the matching priority in G2F.

I seem to remember some lengthy explainations about how the colours interact though - if I don't want the colours to have any effect on each other and just appear as chosen by me what are the restrictions?

Take a look at priority section in:

http://www.virtualdu...ence Manual.pdf

You can use PMs over graphics or under certain or all parts...

You can get more player colors with mixing them in pairs (bit 5).

Basically everything is logical as long as you stay away from PRIOR 0 or mixing hires graphics and PMs.

Prior 0 is Jose's realm ;)

It can produce some really strange color combinations...

That's what i was doing with Waypoint yeah, with the upper two playfield registers handling the midrange colours. The ORing of colour values is optional and the affected playfield colours vary depending on which player or missile is doing the work. Reaxion uses the first two players and if memory serves one missile to tint %01 and %10 pixels and the second two players to adjust the brightness of %00 pixels for the white on the player drone; i didn't realise until it was released that i could've done that with just one X expanded player because the ones chosen wouldn't have affected the other colours used for that object, that would have left a player and missile to add a little yellow highlight to the vertical bars around the play area... still, that'd be just adding more colour for the sake of it. =-)

Sorry all.. Alcohol plus internet access on too many contraptions and a bad day for other reasons meant my brain misfired on an awesomely retarded scale and I failed to keep a lid on it.. Remedial action has been taken.. And Emkay, I bow to your programming prowess now and in the future.. I was clearly wrong and have a lot to learn..

Apologies for the disruption to 'normal' service.. Won't happen again :)

Now... Fast PM updates or something wasn't it ?

Sounds like you were watching the closing ceremoney drinking something slightly stronger then coke

Oops, don't mention 'coke' to anyone passing as an 'athlete' they might get the wrong message

Take a look at priority section in:

http://www.virtualdu...ence Manual.pdf

You can use PMs over graphics or under certain or all parts...

You can get more player colors with mixing them in pairs (bit 5).

Basically everything is logical as long as you stay away from PRIOR 0 or mixing hires graphics and PMs.

Prior 0 is Jose's realm ;)

It can produce some really strange color combinations...

Sack you have many possibilities and depend of the game (and if it is a static or a scrolling one)...

And you can also have this in Hi-Resolution and also PRIOR0 (with restrictions depending of the game).

But when you want just send me a PM and we may find the best solution.

(P.s.- I couldn't see this working in DO! Run Run)

Edited by José Pereira

PRIOR0 intereaction over 4 or 5 colours:

EXAMPLE 1:

Plus 4 game Adventures in Time:

http://formatwar.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=294&start=10

PM2 and PM3 expanded quadruple width to get more colours on the gfxs.

Possible if the coloured PRIOR0 underlays are in Areas where the Enemys doesn't go.

Then enemys are just soft sprites...

(our guy can be a soft sprite with P0 and P1 overlays or just P0 and P1 Multicolour 3 colours if it's 3colours don't change when Oring PF0 and PF1)

These type of games when the Walls and most of the gfxs are blocky and static screen the PM2 and PM3 underlays can have very good results).

Same technic in Cybernoid2:

post-6517-0-34391200-1344940453.png

Edited by José Pereira

Hi-Resolution Interaction: When PMGs have the same colour as the gfxs:

EXAMPLE3:

The idea behind PMG colouring in Hi-Resolution PRIOR1 (only two priorities possible: PRIOR1 but there's also PRIOR0 that can be a little diferent) it's that screen have the colour in PF2 and the same colour in other luminance PF1.

If you under or verlay a PMG it always have it's own colour over PF2 but gets it's colour with the PF1 luminance if it's overlaping PF1.

If your PMG it's same colour as PF2 then you can have the screen in the diferent luminances of the same colour, like in my Paradroid recent example:

And if you have the 'paper' colour as PF2 you can have just the PMGs over and simulate a gfxs mixing Hi and Middle Resolution like the left droid screen example.

Another thing is that Background colour Register it's the Border and it's different from screen PF1 and PF2 that's why we could, like here, get this Paradroid nice screen example.

post-6517-0-00896500-1344942748_thumb.png

post-6517-0-08644300-1344942755_thumb.png

Edited by José Pereira

you can mention coke - just don't mention p*psi as the official Olympic brand police will haul you off

Cola = diabetes in a can

diet cola = cancer in a can

I can see Olympics are ALL about the betterment of the human body's ability to achieve greater and greater things and nothing about a massive scam for londoners to pay for some twats in govt/big companies to get even more rich lol

you can mention coke - just don't mention p*psi as the official Olympic brand police will haul you off

Cola = diabetes in a can

diet cola = cancer in a can

I can see Olympics are ALL about the betterment of the human body's ability to achieve greater and greater things and nothing about a massive scam for londoners to pay for some twats in govt/big companies to get even more rich lol

Allow me to disag....

nah screw it - that's absolutely right. No 'halo effect for British business' because only the multinational official sponsors were allowed to advertise, and nothing says athletes at the peak of physical perfection like a supersized bigmac, does it?

Sack you have many possibilities and depend of the game (and if it is a static or a scrolling one)...

And you can also have this in Hi-Resolution and also PRIOR0 (with restrictions depending of the game).

But when you want just send me a PM and we may find the best solution.

(P.s.- I couldn't see this working in DO! Run Run)

Thanks - I'll have a look to see what I can do. I want to do a do! runrun-esque game but I'd like to do it over the c64 and the A8 if I can. Obviously I don't want to completely compromise it and do something half-arsed on both machines if I can do a version that fits the graphical strengths of both well, but I'd like to at least keep logic and level design across the two so I need to do a bit of investigation and figure out where to draw the line.

I'll get back to you when the dayjob eases off a bit

Edited by sack-c0s