IGNORED

anyone have a 1200XL with rev 11 OS?

ACML

Does anyone have a 1200XL that shipped with the rev 11 OS? Both rev 10 and 11 have the ATARI splash screen, but rev 11 has the trademark ® to the right of the "I". Rev 11 has bug fixes, but I have never seen an actual stock 1200XL that shipped with rev 11. Rev 11 is way more compatible with 400/800 games than rev 10 and its almost identical to the 600/800XL OS. I think Atari gave up the splash screen for PBI capability in the 800XL OS. Just wanted to know if Atari ever shipped rev 11 or was it fixed but never made it into production since the 1200XL had such a short run.

Edited by ACML
  • Like 1

Bob,

I figured if anyone would know about Rev 11 shipping, it would be you. See the attached JPG of the REV 11 splash screen. Notice the trademark ® that is absent on the REV 10 OS. Ever see a 1200XL with this version?

post-27335-0-36384200-1344044581_thumb.jpg

Edited by ACML
  • Like 1

The atarimax 32 in1 OS has a 1200XL OS rev 5 that has the ® registered trademark symbol on the splash screen

It also has the regular rev 10 version without

Is this mislabeled?

Why would they add the symbol, remove it, then add it back again?

Is there anything to test this rev 5 compatibility?

Oracle_jedi,

The Rev 5 in Atarimax 32 in 1 is the Rev 11 OS. I've seen it both ways and they have the same CRC32 checksum, so I'm confident they are the same. All the documentation I've read says that Rev 11 fixed many bugs and improved compatibility with the 400/800 software. It was the baseline for the 600/800XL OS. My guess is that it came out too late to make it into 1200XL production since the production run was only like eight months. It will run anything an 800XL will except some later titles from Poland. Why, I don't know. Makes sense, developers had to contend with 100,000's of 1200XLs on the market, so why write a game that wouldn't work on the 1200XL? I use it beacause of the cool slpash screen and it's more stock. If I have a compatibility issue (OSB), I run the translator first on my Sdrive NUXX. There aren't many times that happens. Rev 10 didn't run a lot of games that Rev 11 (Rev 5) will.

Edited by ACML
  • Like 1

Bob,

See link attached for REV 11 (REV B) 1200XL OS.

http://atarionline.pl/utils/8.%20ROM-y//Atari%20OS%20v11%2082.12.23.rom

Revision 10 (1200XL)

Support 1200XL, add new features.

H.Stewart / L.Winner / R.S.Scheiman /

Y.M.Chen / M.W.Colburn 10/26/82

Revision 11 (1200XL)

Fix several problems.

R.S.Scheiman 12/23/82

My guess (again) is that Atari already had a huge lot of Rev 10 ROMs (0xc5c11546 CO60616A, CO60617A) and decided to use them up. The 1200XL production line was prematurely terminated and Ver 11 ROMs (0x1a1d7b1b CO60616B, CO60617B) never saw the production line. A better OS for sure. A simple fix to add. Eliminate resistors R6-9 and add 1 ohm resistors in the R11-13 positions. You can now install (2) 28 pin 2764's with Rev 11 instead of the (2) 24 pin ROMs.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Yes; the rev. 10 ROM chips are marked C060616A and C060617A, rev. 11 are C060616B and C060617B.

I kinda doubt that a 1200XL with factory-built rev. 11 OS was ever produced. Rev. 11 was probably only installed in machines while being serviced.

Edited by Kr0tki

• 5 years later...

Reviving an old thread, but does anyone know if the 1200xl OS ROM 11 is still available for download? The link in the previous message is no longer working...

I know Best still sells them for 10.00 each, but would be interested in finding a copy to burn to Eprom...

I know I could go with 800xl rom, but I want to keep this 1200xl stock.

Thanks

Kevin

Reviving an old thread, but does anyone know if the 1200xl OS ROM 11 is still available for download? The link in the previous message is no longer working...

I know Best still sells them for 10.00 each, but would be interested in finding a copy to burn to Eprom...

I know I could go with 800xl rom, but I want to keep this 1200xl stock.

Thanks

Kevin

I’ve got a copy, probably from a direct uploaded attachment on a post here on AtariAge. If no one else posts a copy before then, I’ll upload a copy later tonight.

I want to upgrade my Atarimax APE 32 in 1 ROM with this Rev 11 ROM, how can I go about doing it? I recall there was a site where you could upload your ROMs and make a new file to burn. But I have lost the link and all the ROMs that I had when I built mine 15 years ago. Anyone have the ROMs that were used and the link or some instructions on how to make this file? I have a eprom burner.

Bob,

I figured if anyone would know about Rev 11 shipping, it would be you. See the attached JPG of the REV 11 splash screen. Notice the trademark ® that is absent on the REV 10 OS. Ever see a 1200XL with this version?

I can see it everyday on my 1200XL, but I have Rev. 11 on my Atarimax 32-in-1 OS I have installed, the original OS's from my three 1200XL's are Rev. 10.

I want to upgrade my Atarimax APE 32 in 1 ROM with this Rev 11 ROM, how can I go about doing it? I recall there was a site where you could upload your ROMs and make a new file to burn. But I have lost the link and all the ROMs that I had when I built mine 15 years ago. Anyone have the ROMs that were used and the link or some instructions on how to make this file? I have a eprom burner.

If your APE 32 in 1 has REV 5 1200XL on it, it's really the Rev. 11 OS. My 32-in-1 has OS letter M: 1200XL (rev 5)* and letter N: 1200XL (rev 10)

*rev 11 in reality.

Edited by Gunstar