IGNORED

Old school platformer comes to the jag

GroovyBee

I had some free time tonight so now the only sound effect missing from the original game is the end of level bonus awarded noise. That part of the game also needs some more code so it'll be next on the list. After that its high score name entry and league table display and then an options screen to adjust music/FX volume and to select new/retro graphics.

• Like 2

I had some free time tonight so now the only sound effect missing from the original game is the end of level bonus awarded noise. That part of the game also needs some more code so it'll be next on the list. After that its high score name entry and league table display and then an options screen to adjust music/FX volume and to select new/retro graphics.

Awesome!

Maybe I should add an Easter Egg for infinite lives as well? :ponder:.

LOL, since the game is about picking up eggs, I suppose the Easter Egg is a special egg to pick up :P

Robert

P.S. As kid I played the Atari 8-bit version quite a lot. I looks much better than all the other 8-bit versions (Amstrad CPC, BBC, Spectrum, MSX and even C64)

• Like 1

Or a rainbow powered pop tart?

yes definitely need that :)

All the sound effects from the original BBC version of the game are now in the jag version. Just the high score name entry, league table display and an options screen to code up and a apart from the new graphics it''ll be pretty much done.

don't forget the high score saving ;)

Sh3-rg's new graphics are in and so is the ability to play the game in either "retro" or "modern" look. The only problem being that I have to rebuild the code to select which one :(. So... the options menu will be next on the list to be coded so you can select the graphics style and alter the music and FX volume.

The bugs introduced with the change to 16BPP have all been fixed. There are still some place holder graphics remaining which need to be replaced. Then it'll be time for some new screenshots :D.

• Like 6

Back in the day the Bit Twiddlers created a level pack hack for the BBC Micro version of Chuckie Egg. With some help from Samwise (not on AA) I've located the data for it and played the first level in VJ :D. The data file needs some simple decoding to get the other levels going. I'll be adding a "level pack" selection to the options menu too.

• Like 8

Sh3-rg's new graphics are in and so is the ability to play the game in either "retro" or "modern" look. The only problem being that I have to rebuild the code to select which one :(. So... the options menu will be next on the list to be coded so you can select the graphics style and alter the music and FX volume.

The bugs introduced with the change to 16BPP have all been fixed. There are still some place holder graphics remaining which need to be replaced. Then it'll be time for some new screenshots :D.

will you be adding code to save the option screen settings if and when you get eeprom support in there if there's room on the eeprom obviously. not a major just a nice to have :)

will you be adding code to save the option screen settings if and when you get eeprom support in there if there's room on the eeprom obviously. not a major just a nice to have :)

Yep! I think there will be enough space free in the E2PROM. If not, I'll just store the high score names in radix 40 and compress/decompress them when required.

Cool, it seems to be moving along nicely. I can't wait to see the finished game.

The source code the port is based on didn't have any frills. It was just... Load up! Blam! Theres your game! Get moving kinda thing. The fun parts for me were laughing when it appeared on screen for the first time and then making it play at an acceptable speed. The rest is just spit and polish to get it into a full release.

• Like 1

Sh3-rg and I made some good progress over the weekend :-

- New title page graphics are in.

- Some place holder graphics have been replaced with... other place holder graphics :lol:

- Added in-game joypad reset back to title page key detection.

- The credits and high score league table are both using the new font.

- In-game pause was implemented, but I didn't like how it looked so took it out again.

The options screen needs more spit and polish and I still need to implement high score name entry too.

• Like 1

The source code the port is based on didn't have any frills. It was just... Load up! Blam! Theres your game! Get moving kinda thing. The fun parts for me were laughing when it appeared on screen for the first time and then making it play at an acceptable speed. The rest is just SPIT AND POLISH to get it into a full release.

Sh3-rg and I made some good progress over the weekend :-

- New title page graphics are in.

- Some place holder graphics have been replaced with... other place holder graphics

- Added in-game joypad reset back to title page key detection.

- The credits and high score league table are both using the new font.

- In-game pause was implemented, but I didn't like how it looked so took it out again.

The options screen needs more SPIT AND POLISH and I still need to implement high score name entry too.

So with all the SPIT AND POLISH....its going to be really shiney?

Or to you mean POLISH like sausage...then that sounds like a personal choice.....just not for me thank you.

Whahahahah I need to get some sleep.lol

Edited by nonner242
  • Like 3

Yep! The game is so bright you gotta turn off your TV to play it. Errrr... well the sound at least :lolblue:

LOL.

Yeah I feel like Ive been playong on a gameboy lately.

Going from a big flat screen down to this barely 13" is almost like having no TV at all..its better off...lol