IGNORED

Mystery IBM joystick

Does anyone know what model system this joystick is from? Most IBM computers I've seen don't use that connector.

I think that's a 7 pin mini din connector.

ibm-joystick-6343658-7-pin-mini-din.jpg

It says 6343658 on the bottom but google finds nothing, so that must just be a serial number.

ibm-joystick-6343658-bottom.jpg

ibm-joystick-6343658-top.jpg

The IBM PCJr uses a different connector.

Edited by Sektor

Weird, I've never seen that before either. I was going to suggest PCjr, until I actually saw the picture. Tandy computers had a DIN plug, but it was 6-pin, not 7-pin, so it wouldn't work there, either.

EDIT: Shoot, I didn't notice it was a mini-DIN, too. I can't think of any joystick interfaces that used a mini-DIN.

Edited by jmetal88

I don't recall ever reading anything about them using breakaway cables.

Here's what a PCjr joystick generally looks like:

http://www.digibarn.com/collections/systems/ibm-pcjr/Image19.jpg

It's the same mech used in the Tandy TRS-80/CoCo Deluxe joystick, but I think it's wired for reversed polarity compared to that. If your joystick is analog, it could be that it was intended for use with the PCjr, or perhaps a later PC with the standard gameport via an adapter cable. If it's digital, though, it would have to be for something else.

http://www.digibarn....cjr/Image19.jpg

It's the same mech used in the Tandy TRS-80/CoCo Deluxe joystick, but I think it's wired for reversed polarity compared to that. If your joystick is analog, it could be that it was intended for use with the PCjr, or perhaps a later PC with the standard gameport via an adapter cable. If it's digital, though, it would have to be for something else.

The joysticks in the picture are made by Kraft.

http://www.digibarn....cjr/Image19.jpg

The joysticks in the picture are made by Kraft.

Yeah, so are the Tandy ones. There's even another joystick out there like these that's actually branded Kraft.

ibm-joystick-6343658-side.jpg

ibm-joystick-6343658-side2.jpg

Mystery solved! I believe it is an IBM PC JX joystick. The JX was only released in Australia, New Zealand and Japan.

"The machine had a joystick (custom made for the jx - dark grey colour scheme with light grey buttons, unlike the regular PC or the Jr's.)"

It matches the colour scheme but I haven't actually found any pictures of the joystick (other than mine).

Edited by Sektor
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I sold it for $49.99 to a JX owner in Sydney. He was willing to pay a lot more, lucky for him I started the auction at $49.99 and he had no competitors.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1209745501211?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=120974550121&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Perhaps a lot to pay for an old joystick that only works on one system but it really is rare. If it works and he advertised it on PCjr/IBM forums then he might be able to sell it for a profit in the future. I wonder how many were made and if there was a white model to match the white Japanese JX.

Edited by Sektor