IGNORED

AV mod for Lynx?

Uzumaki

Anyone try it? I saw an old thread about AV board but the link is dead and I can't tell from the schematic at all, it looks like the video is all digital from CPU to LCD.

I'd like to mod it so I can replace the original LCD with newer ones as technology has improved over the last 25 years. Less blurry, better color, bigger maybe? Defiantly less power guzzling, especially with LED model

There are some threads about tv-adapters, if you are looking for those.

http://www.atariage....__hl__+lynx +tv

It would be cool if someone could interface a replacement LCD panel with the LYNX, without having to convert it to a tv signal in between.

Its possible, and could potentially be mapped to another LCD with the right electronics inbetween. The problem is understanding how the Lynx LCD is driven by the Lynx circuitry - its custom and a bespoke resolution. If we can understand how pixels are driven regards row, columns, and timing - eg hsync and vsync equivalents (signals that might need to be created if they dont exist) then we stand a chance of doing something ourselves. At the moment ive not got a clue how it works. Ive got a 60Mhz osciloscope but not sure where to begin - we need someone with low level experience of interfacing LCD screens.

Edit: we could use a micro processor or FPGA to convert to another format once we know how it works.

Edited by GadgetUK

Sooo... no one tried O-scoping the LCD on Lynx? I got a 20MHz scope gathering dust if I can remember how to use it and a working Lynx (mine has bad display, can't tell if it's LCD or something else)

Not that I know about lol. What we need is a team of dedicated people, a wiki to share info, some tools, and then to do tests and experiments on the LCD.

Ive got some ideas.. I take my spare lynx appart, and experiment by 'cutting' single tracks that feed the LCD and note results. Eg. Pin 1 = LCD goes blank, pin 2 = row 1 goes off but rest of screen is ok. Then we can look at signals sent over each pin to try and see whats what - if I can remember how to use my scope lol...

I've tried devices that take the signal from the LCD connection and generate an NTSC signal on 2 platforms: GBA and PSP. The GBA took several attempts to get everything seated properly. The PSP mod destroyed 2 perfectly working units and never worked. LCD panel connections are not meant to be repeatedly attached and reattached: even a couple of times.

There are some schematics on atariage, and the lcd part can be found here.

I also searched for some lcd displays and there are some available with more or less the same connections. Most notable differences are:

- More bits/color. Just use the most significant bits.

- Different resolution than 160x102, like 480x240. This means you probably need some kind of line buffer.

I think this is a good start, the psp's screen: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8335 (much cheaper on ebay though)

Edited by roland p

i think you need an hex to rgb converter

the original lcd as you can see has 3 columns and one row

i dont know if you can drive directly another lcd we need schematics for psp to do the copmparision and find

what happens

i think with one ic and little quote of parts you can to construct one

post-33644-0-01088100-1344753642_thumb.gif

Edited by subzero79

Anyone try it? I saw an old thread about AV board but the link is dead and I can't tell from the schematic at all, it looks like the video is all digital from CPU to LCD.

Man, the Lynx was light years ahead of its time. Remember how long it took PC laptops to go all digital to LCD?

Edited by BillyHW

Defiantly a tricky design. Looking at schematic, the column side has signal labelled DBL (3x), P1-P4 (x3), DL0-3 (x3), reset (x3), and voltage. Only thing different are CLK1, CLK2, and CLK3. From Mickey each of the clock signal splits in 2, one going through inverter. Looks like CLKA1 and CLKB1 are complimentary. Same with CLKA2 and CLKB2, CLKA3 and CLKB3 and just a guess but these clocks could be used to control when red, green, and blue pixels are enabled while P1-P4 and DL0-DL3 may be actual data that sets the pixels? All the lines from Mickey goes through 330 ohms resistors.

I do know Lynx screen is 480x102, with horizontal resolution being divided into groups of 120 red, 120 green, and 120 blue. Vertical resolution of 102 is odd but could be doubled to fit more common LCD with blank bars on top and bottom.

Unfortunately LCD specifics is beyond my knowledge, we'd need to find someone who is better experienced with directly driving LCD module. Even other hand held systems were easier to hack with convenient AV mod.

Defiantly a tricky design. Looking at schematic, the column side has signal labelled DBL (3x), P1-P4 (x3), DL0-3 (x3), reset (x3), and voltage. Only thing different are CLK1, CLK2, and CLK3. From Mickey each of the clock signal splits in 2, one going through inverter. Looks like CLKA1 and CLKB1 are complimentary. Same with CLKA2 and CLKB2, CLKA3 and CLKB3 and just a guess but these clocks could be used to control when red, green, and blue pixels are enabled while P1-P4 and DL0-DL3 may be actual data that sets the pixels? All the lines from Mickey goes through 330 ohms resistors.

I do know Lynx screen is 480x102, with horizontal resolution being divided into groups of 120 red, 120 green, and 120 blue. Vertical resolution of 102 is odd but could be doubled to fit more common LCD with blank bars on top and bottom.

Unfortunately LCD specifics is beyond my knowledge, we'd need to find someone who is better experienced with directly driving LCD module. Even other hand held systems were easier to hack with convenient AV mod.

480 resolution? I thought it was 160 x 102

Edit: ive just read that it was capable of 480 x 102... I wonder if that was interlaced or something... It looks like native is 160 x 102. That being the case 320 x 240 (or 640 x 480) wouldnt be a bad match with a small border.

From this link: http://emu-docs.org/?page=Lynx Lynx doc show ssome information about the LCD. It's where I got 480x102. I just noticed a mistake in my previous post, it is not 120 each color but 160 each color. I fail at basic math :ponder: Anyway 3 times 160 = 480 for LCD resolution.

Doubling the video from Lynx can still work to make the image fit standard LCD.

Another bit of info that might help the expert figure out LCD: http://www.atarimuseum.com/whatsnew/2009-MAY-29.html check the zip file for scan converter. If someone can figure out how the converter worked to output Lynx to TV, then it might be possible to find a substitute LCD that can work with Lynx or a decoder board to work with LCD.

• 2 weeks later...

Wizztronics worked on that during the Lynx life but despite they said the system was working it never reach the market.

A french addict of the Lynx (probably the most addict one in France) built a giant Lynx:

Juo6.jpg

a youtube vid here:

The main problem is without surprise a lot of pixelisation

rygar has one of the boxes Atari uses to present games at shows.

It was a box a little bigger like a letter or german A4, and it was packed full with logic ics, some memory and other parts - i think today there is no problem to fit it into a fpga, but if you want to find out the shematic, you may stay some days by rygar :-)

rygar has one of the boxes Atari uses to present games at shows.

It was a box a little bigger like a letter or german A4, and it was packed full with logic ics, some memory and other parts - i think today there is no problem to fit it into a fpga, but if you want to find out the shematic, you may stay some days by rygar :-)

I know a fellow is is selling a Lynx/TV converter Atari used for demonstration. He is asking 5 figures for it though.

I think an FPGA could do this, but I dont know enough to push in that direction. I am sure that one day this will be done by someone, likely when most screens have failed in one way or another.

That giant Lynx earlier in the thread was just an emulator if I remember correctly. Hence the USB 'person' shaped HUB on the back of it.

The original Atari unit is a nice collector's piece, but... honestly I don't think that such a project would be worth the time and effort nowadays. I play Lynx on my TV via Xbox 1 with an emulator; this way I have a perfect RGB image of Lynx games on TV, and I can use all the benefits of emulation (screenshots, savestates).

I think improving Lynx emulation to be used in such a way is the better approach today. Lynx emulation still is not perfect and could use improvements, and the result would be useable for more people.

hardwarewise, I believe trying to get the Lynx a new screen would be much more useful. The screens don't have a good quality by modern standards to begin with, and they aren't getting any better with age. Lynx on TV can be substituted by emulation, Lynx games on the original system have to rely on the screen.

Edited by 108 Stars

• 7 months later...

old thread that I started but less than 2 weeks after the last post, someone took up the task of making video out for Lynx: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/202796-lynx-to-vga/

I wonder if this thread got the ball rolling or if it's just coincidence?

Looking forward to hooking this up to a 90" TV at Walmart just for giggles. And new internal LCD too, technology has improved a lot in 20 years from weak, washed out color, motion blur, and limited viewing angle, and is lit by power guzzling CCFL to new one with rich and vibrant color, very little motion blur, wider viewing angle, and power-sipping LEDs.