IGNORED

Which Atari Flashback to look for?

Hello! I am planning on getting an Atari Flashback, and decided to come here for some advice. I want to get one to play some classic atari games on my TV until I am able to afford a real 7800 and a lot of games. After that, I plan to use the Flashback in a project similar to the video below: A minturized arcade cabinet, made to look like a PONG, with the flashback inside.

As such, I'm having a little trouble deciding which Flashback to look for. I know that the original mod, the FB1 is not the best choice, as the emulation of the games is off. So that leaves 3 choices, a FB2, FB2+ and FB3. The FB3 has more games built in and is a newer model, but is also more expensivie. The FB2 has more arcade style games, which would go well with the mini arcade project. But there is two models of it, with different games. I would like to know which of the three choices you would reccomend, considering my plans for the systems, and for what reasons you suggested it. Thanks in advance!

Here's the video. I want to build something like this, but with which every atari flashback I choose instead of a pac-man. I plan to make it look like a PONG with simple wooden sides and a yellow front:

(http://youtu.be/j7QE8zUbXfc)

FB2 has Pitfall, River Raid, and Climber 5. But you have to be careful finding one that is not a fake, as there are a bunch of Chinese knock offs floating around. The FB2+ has some decent sports, and also some terrible sports titles, that are not on the FB2. I don't know what the FB3 is like. You might look for a thread here at Atari Age about the FB3 to get some info. Good luck. You'll probably have fun with any of them.

Edited by littleman jack

FB2 has Pitfall, River Raid, and Climber 5. But you have to be careful finding one that is not a fake, as there are a bunch of Chinese knock offs floating around. The FB2+ has some decent sports, and also some terrible sports titles, that are not on the FB2. I don't know what the FB3 is like. You might look for a thread here at Atari Age about the FB3 to get some info. Good luck. You'll probably have fun with any of them.

I didn't realize there are bootleg flashbacks. Is there any warning signs on them?

Sounds like a cool project. I have never run into a bootleg flashback but my first choice would be the FB2 then the FB2+ simply because I would add a small fake coin door on hinges then hack in a cart connector behind it to play carts. The FB3 plays good but can't be adapted with a cartridge connector and as mentioned it is more expensive. The FB1 no.

Please note, than only the FB2 is hardware emulation of the actual 2600. The FB1 is a NOC (Nintendo on a chip), and the FB3 is using an ARM processor and a software 2600 emulator. The FB2 is also the only one able to be modified with a cart connector.

Please note, than only the FB2 is hardware emulation of the actual 2600. The FB1 is a NOC (Nintendo on a chip), and the FB3 is using an ARM processor and a software 2600 emulator. The FB2 is also the only one able to be modified with a cart connector.

I thought about that. and having the arcade machine be able to play carts WOULD be nice. But I don't know if I'm technically skilled enough to solder one it.

I didn't realize there are bootleg flashbacks. Is there any warning signs on them?

I'm not sure what the signs are, but I think if you search the threads in this forum you will find some threads on the pirate FB2s.