IGNORED

Altirra 2.10 released

Gury

I think Altirra 2.1 has some timing issues. At least it behaves slightly different from version 2.0. See attached screenshot from intro Atallax. The color split was not there in previous versions, and I don't think it's there on real HW.

post-3960-0-63307900-1345312109_thumb.png

How can I let Altirra hold the additional memory (a.k.a. the RAM-Disk) when rebooting with Shift-F5?

I'm programming a lot on Altirra as my space is limited and I don't have a real Atari set up for programming. My GUI is using the behavior a lot, that the RAM-Disk remains untouched when Booting. (I also have an Atari with buffered RAM-Disk ... is there a way to emulate that?)

How can I let Altirra hold the additional memory (a.k.a. the RAM-Disk) when rebooting with Shift-F5?

I'm programming a lot on Altirra as my space is limited and I don't have a real Atari set up for programming. My GUI is using the behavior a lot, that the RAM-Disk remains untouched when Booting. (I also have an Atari with buffered RAM-Disk ... is there a way to emulate that?)

Does your Atari actually have a battery backed up RAM disk? Shift+F5 is cold reset in Altirra, so it's supposed to simulate what you get when powering up an Atari after leaving it off for a while. This includes all RAM data going bye-bye.

Does your Atari actually have a battery backed up RAM disk? Shift+F5 is cold reset in Altirra, so it's supposed to simulate what you get when powering up an Atari after leaving it off for a while. This includes all RAM data going bye-bye.

My current system is buffering the memory of the additional RAM.

Actually, just rebooting the Atari (cold reset) keeps the RAM-data too, even without a buffered RAM-Disk and my GUI makes a lot of use of this behaviour.

Edited by atarixle

I think a cold boot option which doesn't clear any Ram (except what the OS does of course) would be a worthwhile modification, e.g. CTRL-F5 or similar.

Quickest way I can think of to coldstart without Ram clear would be "E 244 1" in the debugger, then hit Reset. I'd assume that any of the config changes that cause a coldstart would also clear all Ram.

I'd find it straighforward, if the extended RAM remained intact upon coldstart like on the real machine. You can "switch Altirra off" via ALT-F4 to lose its content, so it's even a perfect emulation then :-)

Edited by JAC!

From the docs: There is also a bug in MyDOS that prevents wildcarded copies from working when using H: as the source: MyDOS passes the wrong flags when enumerating files from non-disk devices, causing the copy to fail. Specifically, it attempts to read a directory listing using an AUX1 mode of $04 (open file) instead of $06 (open directory).

I really suffer from this because I use H: a low. Do you have more infos here, so maybe I could patch MyDos.

From the docs: There is also a bug in MyDOS that prevents wildcarded copies from working when using H: as the source: MyDOS passes the wrong flags when enumerating files from non-disk devices, causing the copy to fail. Specifically, it attempts to read a directory listing using an AUX1 mode of $04 (open file) instead of $06 (open directory).

I really suffer from this because I use H: a low. Do you have more infos here, so maybe I could patch MyDos.

I did a MyDOS patch a while ago for Bob Wooley (specifically to eliminate indexed address wraparound for the benefit of the 65816). If I can dig out the sources I was using to write the patch I might be able to fix this issue as well.

EDIT: Looks like it's this:

;  C.  COPY FILES
;
DUPFIL = *
CPYFIL
   .BYTE "File source, destination?",$9B,0
   LDA #$20    ; space
   STA PAR3+2  ; DEFINE CHAR 3 OF DEVICE NAME
   LDA #$9B
   STA CPYTYP
   JSR GETFN   ; GET SOURCE FILE NAME
   LDA # >DUPEND
   STA BUFAD+1
   LDA # <DUPEND
   STA BUFAD
   LDA MEMTOP
   SEC
   SBC # <DUPEND
   STA BUFLEN
   LDA MEMTOP+1
   SBC # >DUPEND
   STA BUFLEN+1
   JSR DEFPAR
   LDA DELIM
   BMI SFNAME
   JSR GETFN2
   LDA #0
SFNAME
   STA SWPFLG
   ASL WARMST
   LDA FNPTR+1
   STA ICBAL+1+$20
   LDA FNPTR
   STA ICBAL+$20
   LDA PAR	 ; DISK DEVICE?
   CMP #'D
   BNE SGCOPY
   LDA # <PAR
   LDY # >PAR
   JSR DBUF10
   LDA #'?
   LDY #11

Note the check for 'D' and the branch to SGCOPY towards the end of the snippet. This is in the MDUP2 source file (MyDOS 4.50). The patch will have to preserve the existing behaviour of copy from editor, etc.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Phaeron, do you have the link to drac o/s, since i recall your emu supports 65816 mode and i wouldn't mind having a looksie at this o/s

I presume you mean this..

http://drac030.krap....os-15082008.arc

For Arcs I use http://www.izarc.org/download.html

Edited by Mclaneinc

Yup, that D: check is the offender. I nuked it with MyDOS 4.50, and wildcard copies from H: started working. I guess instead of checking whether there were wildcards in the filespec, they just always did a directory scan for D: and then assumed a single file copy for CIO devices.

Altirra can mount ARC files in its Disk Explorer, from which you can just drag out the files. I put this in because I was tired of having to boot into SDX in order to extract files off an ARC on a disk image and then reboot into another DOS to get the files off that into H:.

• Like 1