Photo

Atari Jaguar Repair

9 replies to this topic

#1 n5x OFFLINE  

n5x

Star Raider

• 90 posts

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:14 AM

I picked up a dead jaguar that looks like it was the victim of the wrong power supply. I changed reg 1, a bad cap, and the chip next to the cap. I did manage to get the power light back on but there is no video or audio from the AV jacks. The RF out shows a black screen when connected. I was thinking of buying a replacement motherboard unless someone has an idea of what isnt working. I would like to get this board fixed.

#2 Tyrant OFFLINE  

Tyrant

Stargunner

• 1,611 posts

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:35 AM

Jaguar's don't display anything but a black screen when there's no cartridge inserted.

#3 Hyper_Eye OFFLINE  

Hyper_Eye

River Patroller

• 2,717 posts
  • IDSPISPOPD

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:37 AM

Yeah but the LED doesn't come on without a cart either.

#4 Gunstar OFFLINE  

Gunstar

Gunstar

• 7,432 posts

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:26 PM

There is another chip that needs to be replaced 90% of the time, this chip is for audio. This link leads to another thread here on AA that lists the chips and pictures: http://www.atariage....ht/#entry693544

If you are still not getting video though, then you have a bad solder point on the chip you already replaced.

Edited by Gunstar, Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:29 PM.

#5 n5x OFFLINE  

n5x

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 90 posts

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:31 PM

There is another chip that needs to be replaced 90% of the time, this chip is for audio. This link leads to another thread here on AA that lists the chips and pictures: http://www.atariage....ht/#entry693544

If you are still not getting video though, then you have a bad solder point on the chip you already replaced.

I replaced everything on this list and the cart is installed. The red light comes on now but no luck. I tested the cart and power supply on my other Jaguar. I'd like to fix this but I'm leaning towards a new motherboard.

#6 the.golden.ax OFFLINE  

the.golden.ax

Tear down this temple

• 12,424 posts
  • I'll rebuild it in 3 days

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:31 PM

I've got a thread somewhere offering to fix these as a service. No one has taken me up on it for a year. Always astounded why since I charge only $20 plus postage and you can't buy the parts for that, but hey, somethings I'll never understand.

#7 n5x OFFLINE  

n5x

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 90 posts

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:32 PM

I'll check the solder points again that shouldnt be to hard

#8 Gunstar OFFLINE  

Gunstar

Gunstar

• 7,432 posts

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:15 PM

I've done this repair 3-4 times over the years. I've done it successfully each time, though the last time, a few months ago, I did have to recheck my solder points on the regulator chip, as I had the same exact problem, power on, but a black screen. Once I went over all solder points again, it worked fine.

#9 n5x OFFLINE  

n5x

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 90 posts

Posted Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:42 PM

I checked and couldnt figure out what was wrong. Ax said he would check it out so I mailed it off today hopefully he can get it going.

#10 n5x OFFLINE  

n5x

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 90 posts

Posted Tue May 6, 2014 12:17 PM

I forgot to update this post. The Jaguar was fixed by changing the parts listed in the above thread. I did buy a hot air soldering station (that I should have gotten a long time ago) so yes the jaguar lives on :)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users