IGNORED

1027 and 1020 printer parts - an idea

dark willow

reading back through some old threads about the 1027 print head disintegration and rotting problems, and the 1020 gear problems - I wondered if anyone out there who has an intact original print head / gears has made CAD models of the original parts?

If so, a fairly and easy option for producing a new head would be to get them 3D printed using something like Shapeways or 3Dprint. I was still under the impression that 3D print services were still restricted to rough melted plastic wire models, but it appears the technology is evolving very fast, and might be up to level where the materials good enough for a usable print head are available.

By putting the CAD models online, anyone who needs the parts could just upload a copy of the file and order as and when needed.

It seems to me that 3D printing might well be the solution to a lot of problems for the mechanical and aesthetic parts of retro computer gear.

The pens can be refilled. There is a magic-marker like sponge inside the pens that hold the ink. The pen tops/heads can be carefully pulled/twisted up and removed from the metal case, then just soak the sponges inside with the proper color ink (or another color if you like). twist the pen top back down on the metal case and scribble with it until it starts writing, then insert in the 1020. I have three used sets of pens that I keep refilled. I have had the idea of tracking down 8-12 colors of ink and filling my three sets of pens with all the colors and swapping as I want for some REAL color on the 1020.

Edited by Gunstar

The pens can be refilled. There is a magic-marker like sponge inside the pens that hold the ink. The pen tops/heads can be carefully pulled/twisted up and removed from the metal case, then just soak the sponges inside with the proper color ink (or another color if you like). twist the pen top back down on the metal case and scribble with it until it starts writing, then insert in the 1020. I have three used sets of pens that I keep refilled. I have had the idea of tracking down 8-12 colors of ink and filling my three sets of pens with all the colors and swapping as I want for some REAL color on the 1020.

Nice, and where i can find some refill pens? or some replace? interesed to make to life one 1020 i have withouts pencils :(

greets

Nice, and where i can find some refill pens? or some replace? interesed to make to life one 1020 i have withouts pencils :(

greets

Before buying pens you should check to be certain the 1020 is still operational, no point if the plastic gears are cracked.

Best Electronics does still list sets of the black pens on their web-site, these would be 25+ year old stock.

Atari 1020 Black pen set (4 Black pens) CO61420-03 $3.00

New pens are supposed to be available from the Christiane Lass company in Germany, but are fairly expensive. They are described as being the equivalent of the SHARP EA850B/EA850C sets.

ea850c_equivalent2.jpg

I found this information on the following web-page, Christiane Lass email address is there:

greets

Best Electronics may still have some in stock that he normally isn't selling becuase they are dried out old-stock. But ask if he still has them and tell him your plan to rejuvenate the dried out pens, maybe get them for dirt cheap.

greets

Before buying pens you should check to be certain the 1020 is still operational, no point if the plastic gears are cracked.

Best Electronics does still list sets of the black pens on their web-site, these would be 25+ year old stock.

Atari 1020 Black pen set (4 Black pens) CO61420-03 $3.00

New pens are supposed to be available from the Christiane Lass company in Germany, but are fairly expensive. They are described as being the equivalent of the SHARP EA850B/EA850C sets.

ea850c_equivalent2.jpg

I found this information on the following web-page, Christiane Lass email address is there:

It's nice to know there are new ones available still, no matter the cost. Even the refilled pens don't last forever, the actual ball points do wear out in time. So I may order a set or two for back-ups for when the pen sets I have wear out. But I'd rather refill for now, becuase I can use a greater variety of ink colors, like orange, or yellow, or purple and cyan.

greets

Best Electronics may still have some in stock that he normally isn't selling becuase they are dried out old-stock. But ask if he still has them and tell him your plan to rejuvenate the dried out pens, maybe get them for dirt cheap.

last I talked to Brad he had trashed them all, I tried to get some out of him even if they were rotted and he said he put them all in the dumpster. No harm asking again though I guess.