60 replies to this topic

#51 theloon ONLINE  

theloon

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,887 posts

Posted Mon Sep 9, 2013 3:27 PM

WOW.  That was retarded of me!

I guess the older versions of bB were a bit more lax about such things.  I appreciate the keen eye R.T.!

#52 theloon ONLINE  

theloon

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,887 posts

Posted Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:08 AM

Due to the possible reasons for Princess Rescue being yanked from the store I have officially stopped development on this.  Giana Sisters games are currently being made and I can't risk making a tribute game in this environment.

Regardless, the engine will be salvaged for an upcoming game so not much ground will be lost!  Watch for a new topic on that :)

#53 theloon ONLINE  

theloon

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,887 posts

Posted Tue Jan 7, 2014 10:12 AM

So, after some prompting from RetroFiends I've decided to try and ask Black Forest Games for permission to make an Atari 2600 Giana Sisters game.  At the very least I requested some agreement not to sue if I made a tribute game like Princess Rescue.

RetroFiends made contact and found the appropriate person within Black Forest Games to address.  Let's see where this goes.  Cross fingers people!

#54 RetroFiends OFFLINE  

RetroFiends

Chopper Commander

• 158 posts

Posted Tue Jan 7, 2014 12:43 PM

I'm crossing all my fingers and it's making it difficult to type. It's like typing with a lobster claw.

Edited by RetroFiends, Tue Jan 7, 2014 12:43 PM.

#55 theloon ONLINE  

theloon

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,887 posts

Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:26 AM

Well, still no answer via Twitter or email from Black Forest Games.  I tried to join their forum but it required admin approval.. no luck there either.

It turns out another company makes Giana Sisters games called Spellbound AG.  I just shot out an email to them asking about licensing terms and / or an agreement on a non-infringing tribute.

UPDATE:  Oops!  They may be the same company.  Both contact email addresses end in bfgames.biz.  Ah well.

#56 theloon ONLINE  

theloon

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,887 posts

Posted Thu Oct 9, 2014 3:46 PM

Just an update.  Shahzad Sahaib of Giana's Return and PDROM.de fame has attempted to get me in contact with the CEO of Black Forest Games.  I asked for their blessing on "Sensational Santuci Sisters".  Even went as far as asking what it would take to approve a run of 30 carts using the Giana name.

Will post again when the situation changes!

#57 Cybearg ONLINE  

Cybearg

Dragonstomper

• 874 posts

Posted Thu Oct 9, 2014 9:40 PM

Seems ironic to get a C&D for recreating a game that was essentially a questionably legal knock-off of Super Mario Bros.

#58 theloon ONLINE  

theloon

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,887 posts

Posted Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:08 AM

Seems ironic to get a C&D for recreating a game that was essentially a questionably legal knock-off of Super Mario Bros.

Well, it is an active property.  Hopefully I can work out a similar deal to what the Gianas Return people did and go non profit.

#59 Dan Iacovelli OFFLINE  

Dan Iacovelli

Quadrunner

• 5,469 posts

Posted Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:26 AM

just release the rom for free so people can play on emu or harmony(if somebody wants a cart I don't see no reason why the person can't contact al to make personal cart with no label, the person can make thier own label at home if they want)

#60 theloon ONLINE  

theloon

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 7,887 posts

Posted Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:31 AM

just release the rom for free so people can play on emu or harmony(if somebody wants a cart I don't see no reason why the person can't contact al to make personal cart with no label, the person can make thier own label at home if they want)

A ROM release is a must.  I'd like to have a boxed release too.

#61 Dan Iacovelli OFFLINE  

Dan Iacovelli

Quadrunner

• 5,469 posts

Posted Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:42 AM

understood

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users