Photo

Question about hooking up to a newer TV

6 replies to this topic

#1 IHATETHEBEARS OFFLINE  

IHATETHEBEARS

Moonsweeper

• 491 posts

Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:50 PM

Hello all, I spent some quality time on this forum a few years back. I even made a couple of blog entries that are still here. It looks like it's been gone nearly three years.

Anyway, the reason I popped in is because I have a question about hooking up my Atari 2600 to a new TV. I've been out of the loop for awhile. And I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

Back around 2008 I bought an "updated" Atari 2600 (from one of the users here) who had modified it with an S-video cord and a left and right audio output. So I could easily plug it into my big screen TV. Since that time, I have graduated to a newer TV (which will arrive this weekend). And my Atari's not been used since around 2009.

So the new TV (this one to be exact: http://www.bestbuy.c...7&skuid=4834361 ) has HDMI, component and a composite. And I'm a little ignorant on what that all means. I'm assuming I can't use my S-video and audio cables to connect to it. So the question becomes... what do I do?

Is there some sort of converter I can plug my Atari into, which will then plug into one of the HDMI, component or composites? If so, does someone have a link they can post to it - perhaps a link on Amazon?

As an FYI, I would also like to plug in my old NES system as well - which has a video and audio output only. We also have a WII, PS2 and XBOX 360. Those are obviously up to date. But I want my Atari and NES hooked up as well.

Can anyone let me know what I need to do?

On another note, I see a thread about the RED SEA CROSSING game. Is that one still unavailable to the masses? What about that BIRTHDAY game? As I recall only one person had each of those two games. And neither one had given the rom out or sold the game.

Lastly, when I was last on, there was a new game being developed by someone here. It sort of looked like an Raiders Of The Lost Ark-type adventure game. I can't recall the name of it though. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? And did it come out?

Lastly (for real this time) have there been any new versions of ADVENTURE that users have created? Being my all-time favorite game, I'm always eager to buy any new homemade versions.

Thanks for the help in advance!

#2 Rex Dart OFFLINE  

Rex Dart

Quadrunner

• 6,484 posts
  • NO CASH VALUE

Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:00 PM

You can easily convert that s-video output to composite with a cheap (few bucks) adapter. Just look up "svideo to composite" on ebay or something. I think I bought one at Fry's Electronics for three dollars.

#3 IHATETHEBEARS OFFLINE  

IHATETHEBEARS

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 491 posts

Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:05 PM

You can easily convert that s-video output to composite with a cheap (few bucks) adapter. Just look up "svideo to composite" on ebay or something. I think I bought one at Fry's Electronics for three dollars.

I think I just found it on Amazon - for about that price. So does the S-video carry both video and audio in it? The cord I found on Amazon seems to be only one wire, where as my modified 2600 has three (S-video and 2 audios).

#4 Rex Dart OFFLINE  

Rex Dart

Quadrunner

• 6,484 posts
  • NO CASH VALUE

Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:06 PM

Nope, S-video is only video. You'll use the same two audio cables as before.

#5 IHATETHEBEARS OFFLINE  

IHATETHEBEARS

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 491 posts

Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:08 PM

Nope, S-video is only video. You'll use the same two audio cables as before.

And this TV will have the audio inputs? Sorry for my ignorance.

#6 Rex Dart OFFLINE  

Rex Dart

Quadrunner

• 6,484 posts
  • NO CASH VALUE

Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:10 PM

Well, it had flippin' better include audio inputs.

#7 wolfpaw1966 OFFLINE  

wolfpaw1966

Dragonstomper

• 934 posts
  • Classic gamer..my Intellivision and Atari rule.

Posted Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:24 AM

My VCS I got from somone here at an adapter plug that went straight into the cable input on my little TV. I thought that was nice that someone took the time to bypass the old connector and make it a heck of a lot easier to plug and play my 2600.. Thank you, whoever you are that sold me the 2600!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users