IGNORED

:Hey... Is this lost forever?

José Pereira

As you can see from here (but it was 7Months ago) Sal said that Pac-Mania was canceled.

Jungle Hunt I think Rybags said it will not do anything more and only Venture seems finished.

Out-Run still be on the way? Continue not to get any answers.

But why this new Topic?

I was the guy behind the gfxs and Sal started to do the sounds.

For the two guys behind the code:

"Do we really need Sal to get this or we (you need) is time and 'want to' to finish this?

When we started this I could get all the Levels gfxs and Tiles for the levels map scrolling but it was a need for an 'Interleaved' charsets because each level was using many more than the A8 128 chars charset.

I was trying to figure if we could get this more simple and fast with each level use 1charset=1Kb for the Playing Area (including soft sprite more shifting).

(Then the 2nd charset for the game are the top and bottom status area in Hi-Resolution)

Early screens just to get the chars were like these ones:

post-6517-0-18082700-1345633612_thumb.pngpost-6517-0-86555500-1345633624_thumb.pngpost-6517-0-03424600-1345633639_thumb.pngpost-6517-0-47008800-1345633651_thumb.png

Problem it's that the Arcade, SMS and NES but also 16bit versions the Block pieces are in half chars and that is a lot more chars needed.

C64 2x1 ratio and Z80 1x1 ratio ZX, CPC and MSX are in chars boundaries. A8 have to be in 2x1 ratio but I didn't like the anwfull C64 looking:

post-6517-0-11216000-1345633834_thumb.gif

so I decided that I can have the C64 version as a base to get the same sized Blocks but better looking and taking advantage of A8 ANTIC4 PF2 and PF3 more DLIs.

Yesterday I could finally get the hard level(s) to fit in just one charset, the Lego levels:

post-6517-0-89074600-1345632883_thumb.png

From this G2F screen with all the possible pieces combinations I could get all the chars and they are less than a half A8 charset that the remains free chars are enough to have the guys running.

Yes, it's a simple 5colours ANTIC4 screen with PF2 DLIs.

From the ones familiarized with the SMS or other versions (better looking ones...) on the Lego levels the Ground always and level Map/Walkways remains the same and only change the Blocks colour.

Then we can have something like this on the different Lego levels:

post-6517-0-75892800-1345632862_thumb.png post-6517-0-91626500-1345633161_thumb.pngpost-6517-0-62977200-1345633186_thumb.pngpost-6517-0-07051100-1345633216_thumb.png

So it is all Levels alway Black as Background Register colour, PF1 as White and PF3 as Yellow.

PF0 (normally/majour use on the Ground colour) and PF2 (with DLIs if needed like here on the 'Lego levels') changes possible.

There's also done the Loading screen:

post-6517-0-36445700-1345634142_thumb.png

And the credits screen (with the need to change with our names):

post-6517-0-23480700-1345634196_thumb.png

Last time we talked about this there was a proposal/idea of Tezz to have the sprites 'possible?' like this:

post-6517-0-40239400-1345634327_thumb.png

(the screen it's a quick C64 version based import just to see the A8 looking sprites...)

All these just to say 'please guys' think in this one.

We don't need anyone to release this as comercial or to earn Money but just for the pleasure.

(And we all know the troubles behind Sal's carts releases...)

Thanks in advance.

Greetings.

José Pereira.

Edited by José Pereira

Jungle Hunt isn't dead, just hasn't been worked on in some time.

Pacmania - could be interesting. Seeing that tep392 created Pac-Man arcade by reworking an existing Rom, maybe the game could be done that way?

Personally, Pacman type games don't interest me much. But judging by what you've created there, it looks like a very worthwhile project for someone to take on.

Besides of all this... I really miss KJMANN here on AtariAge. No: I don't need a flamewar about him, or what he did wrong or whatever. I simply miss him, he really did some damn good music conversions and he was certainly the engine behind some projects.

• Like 1

Yeah I have to agree.. As goofy as I thought his hardware projects were, I have to admit the guy is a wiz with RMT,and he did a good job of coordinating game development projects. In fact, he's probably the only one in the states who's done any serious long-term development of large-scale apps(games) for the atari in recent years. His website was pretty kewl too.

• Like 1

I never said KJMann was untalented.... just that has *business* practices and general PR need work. He had issues with the truth at times (well documented in several cases) BUT he IS quite talented. His work on Tempest Extreme is great. I love playing the demo. Should be enjoying the full version as it was supposed to be a pack-in with my shipment for the way overpriced 600XL with a bare-board 128K citriad upgrade similar to the 320XL upgrade and a half-assed S-Video board that was damn near a month late in shipping for a machine that was supposed to be "ready-to-go" with me at the door waiting a couple times for UPS to show up after promises it had been shipped. When it FINALLY arrived after shipping 4-days after a heated PayPal phone call after MANY calls asking Sal what was up, Tempest Xtreem was nowhere to be found.

Yeah, Tempest Xtreem is neat. Sal's attempt at coverting the Tempest 2000 tunes into something the 8-bit could deal with was pretty cool. No, I'm not paying $50 for it, especially after one of the co-creators screwed me over. I just found a copy of Tempest X3 for the Playstation that will kick its ass for $8.

Being a talented deceitful ass doesn't make up for being a deceitful ass. Even if you have medical issues. Hell, if you're religious, I'd expect those times to be your most honest.... but hey, that's just me.

Sorry for the rant. Had to play Devil's Advocate for a minute.

I miss Sal but Kogden has EVERY RIGHT to not feel the same, what Sal did on a business level was below the belt, dishonest and down right shameful.

So sad tho, Sal came across as a nice guy as Sal the person, he was very helpful, made some great music and was obviously dedicated to the 8bit, just a shame there was the shall we say 'Evil' Sal, the side who people depended on and trusted. This Sal abused the truth and possibly played upon the illness to mask the lies, obviously in retrospect he should have been honest and say he was having serious problems but he didn't.

All this said its now history, I doubt Sal the business man will return but I would not kick Sal the Atari addict if he chose to return here, everyone deserves a few chances in their personal life, its what makes us human.

• Like 1

As someone who has tried to live in a second language I think people need to be a lot more forgiving of people who learn english. Having a Spanish girlfriend has taught me that you are bloody lucky if English is your first language because at times it is so nonsensical you wouldn't *ever* want to learn it as a second language.

• Like 5

Strange analmux because not many months ago you were one of the guys i could count... But then like with many others just some trouble with emkay and you...

Returning to topiq: you know that it isn't just good looking screens.

Back to your tries: i just don't need to learn english because you analmux wouldn't answered.

... Back to your tries: i just don't need to learn english because you analmux wouldn't answered.

Point one: is this the ONLY reason why you would learn english, so that you can have contact with analmux?

Point two: what is your real problem with learning english in general? Is it too difficult for you? Don't you have plenty of time? Why don't you learn better english then? Or are you just too lazy to learn english?

Edited by analmux

They started to teach my daughter Spanish in middle school but she was just as unimpressed as her with it only to be told that "its the second most spoken language".

Whilst that may be true I'd rather that they concentrated on teaching her English which unlike her dad she is excellent at. So many in this country don't know how to pronounce words, understand them and how to write them in an understandable way (as young people) without being introduced to a new language.

Txt speak is BANNED in our house and when writing texts my daughter refuses to use those horrible shortcuts.

Edited by Mclaneinc

Point one: is this the ONLY reason why you would learn english, so that you can have contact with analmux?

Point two: what is your real problem with learning english in general? Is it too difficult for you? Don't you have plenty of time? Why don't you learn better english then? Or are you just too lazy to learn english?

Surely it's a bit rude to derail his thread with accusations of poor English skills ? He has a good grasp and has come along enormously since he first appeared and I personally have no problem understanding him..

Whilst we're out on the thin ice of the frozen language lake, yours aren't exactly the stuff of legends either, although I'm convinced that arrogant attitude is merely a side-effect of not speaking in your mother tongue :)

• Like 1

... Back to your tries: i just don't need to learn english because you analmux wouldn't answered.

It's the same as you think I have to learn coding.

Even if bad (sometimes...) people understand.

At least the ones that are interested.

If you didn't understand then why you 'quoted' and answered? It seems you understand it.

Edited by José Pereira

Like I said at the start of the KJMANN issue ... It's not time for flaming, or discussion or whatever.

There are enough threads here on AtariAge to throw salt again in the same wounds.

I already wrote: there are enough things subject of doubt... but next to that: it is really a loss for the scene/atariage that KJMANN isn't around anymore. He sure did a lot of good things too.

• Like 1

Surely it's a bit rude to derail his thread with accusations of poor English skills ? He has a good grasp and has come along enormously since he first appeared and I personally have no problem understanding him..

Whilst we're out on the thin ice of the frozen language lake, yours aren't exactly the stuff of legends either, although I'm convinced that arrogant attitude is merely a side-effect of not speaking in your mother tongue :)

There is a difference between the English language of Analmux, me or other non-native speaker produce. You have to admit that.

Jose's English is understandable and I wouldn't ask him to spend his time learning it. BUT, I would encourage him to learn the few phrases he uses here or on the FormatWar borad propperly.

To explaining a concept behind his pictures should be motivation for him.

@Jose: the above is by no means ment to be arrogant or rude. Up till now I understood the stuff you wrote :)

... although I'm convinced that arrogant attitude is merely a side-effect of not speaking in your mother tongue :)

Thanks. Maybe you're right in this.

It's the same as you think I have to learn coding.

Even if bad (sometimes...) people understand.

At least the ones that are interested.

If you didn't understand then why you 'quoted' and answered? It seems you understand it.

I'm sorry to say, but it seems you didn't understand what I'm trying to say to you. What you're writing I don't understand most of it. That's why I will never discuss things with you again, ever.

By the way, I'm also out of this topic, and possibly out of similar or other topics too.

What a stupid you are.... I never.... Just don't try it again... Please respect because there are crazy ones...

1.) Stupid is an adjective, not a noun. Good try though. I think the term you were looking for would be "idiot" or "moron" to use in that context in English. Aren't proper curse words and insults usually top priority when attempting to learn a foreign language?

2.) You never what?

3.) Don't try what? Or you'll what?

4.) Crazy doesn't even begin to describe me BUT every word I wrote was the truth. I'm not the type of person who forgives and forgets in the name of hoping he writes some more cool POKEY tunes. And I'm nothing if not blatantly honest, even when it hurts people's feelings. I'm also very understanding when actually working with the truth.

That said, Sal is a very talented guy and I respect his abilities.

Anyway, enough about Sal and back to original topic. I'd love to see Pac-Mania happen for the 8-bit with or without him. I used to play that game to death on the ST as a kid. I think I literally wore the floppy out. Those mockups look fantastic.

--Kevin

Hello guys

Whilst that may be true I'd rather that they concentrated on teaching her English which unlike her dad she is excellent at.

That's what they told us too, thirty years and more ago. Nowaday, it is believed, that kids should learn a foreign language as soon as possible. Learning a second (or third or fourth ...) language makes it easier to understand more languages and words that you do not know in the languages you already speak. A small example: At home, we speak a dialect. It's a blend of Dutch (the common language in my country), German (our neighboring country), some French and an amalgam of other influences. Speaking both languages makes it easier to understand (part of) the Frisian language, which is spoken on the other side of my country. Heck, I even understand the dialect they speak in the German city of Cologne better then many non-dialect speaking Colognians.

Learning to speak a foreign language is like learning to drive a car. You only learn the real thing after the course, not during the course. I learned my German from looking at German tv shows for kids and my English from ready English (computer) and American (computer and car) magazine. José's English will improve over time, just give him a chance. Maybe in the mean time, some of us could spend the time learning a second language. :D

Mathy

I wasn't making fun of José's English. I was genuinely trying to help and figure out what he was getting at! I'm not sure if he was trying to claim he was crazy and making a lame attempt to be intimidating, saying I was crazy or all of the above. Maybe with a dash of arrogance because... well, he called me stupid.

I try not to bash poor English because it would drive me nuts dealing with the same if I were to learning, say, German or Dutch. Bad English is the new Vulgar Latin.

What is José trying to accomplish with this thread? Is he soliciting for developers, whining because Sal dropped the project, showing off pictures, or what?

Mathy,

Trust me, I'm in awe of someone learning a new language and being able to speak to people as fluently as Jose, Jose may think his English isn't any good but its a darn sight better than my Spanish :)

I seriously wasn't making any hints at the Jose learn to speak English thing, as far as I'm concerned Jose is a star for doing as he does.

All I was bemoaning was the attitude of schools these days, they seem to sling everything at a child but its never done properly, I lived outside London when I came here from Northern Ireland, I grew up in a UK place called Buckinghamshire and went to the local school, eventually we left there for London and when I joined the local school in London I was almost 2 yrs in front of their levels.

That's how it feels for me when I see how they teach the kids now, a bit of this, a bit of that but never with enough conviction. Listening to the local kids I just don't feel they speak English, its a weird mix of txt speak and 'street'.

Thankfully my daughter is naturally inquisitive and learns very quickly, she also gets gentle schooling from my wife and I and is doing brilliantly at school.

All down to her and mum with a bit from me... :)