IGNORED

Rainbow 2.2 Atari Emulator released

chris_rainbow

Hi all,

New features for version 2.2:

- improvements to video timing

- Bennet tables implemented for DMA timing

- mid-scanline timing fix (e.g. Fast Eddie, Silly Things demo, Master of the Lamps)

- 6502 store timing fix

- VSCROL fixed

- VDELAY fixed

- player & missile colours fixed for GTIA modes

- "Share Joystick fpr Player 2" menu item added (share a single joystick for 2 players, playing alternately)

- PIA memory repeat added

- PIA fixes for DCRs and data registers

- menu option to turn on/off console speaker

- SIO disk fixes

- sound restored when window gets focus

- more trace info for CPU, SIO, PIA and display options

- scanline ruler added

- CONSOL read fixed for 5200 (Xari Arena ok now)

- 20% faster than v2.1

http://www.chrislam.co.uk/rainbow-atari-8bit-emulator.htm

Regards,

Chris.

• Like 3

rain22.png

sorry, i dont understand WHY

we have the best - Altirra

..but interesting enthusiasm.

At one time (long ago), Altirra wasn't the best, either - Atari800Win Plus was! But, I'm sure glad that phaeron didn't give up to remarks like this!

Edited by atx4us
  • Like 5

sound in the emulator just awful.

the speed of the emulator antsy.

game "Alley cat" would not start the emulator.

half the games and programs do not run or throw an error.

up: removed the emulator after five minutes and sat down at the altirra.

sound in the emulator just awful.

the speed of the emulator antsy.

game "Alley cat" would not start the emulator.

half the games and programs do not run or throw an error.

up: removed the emulator after five minutes and sat down at the altirra.

Again, no need to be so damning sergey, there's a fine line between being critical and being rude..

As At4xl said, good thing no one posted comments like this to Phaeron at the start of Altirra..

• Like 1

Hi all,

[…snip…]

http://www.chrislam....it-emulator.htm

Hi Chris

That is really good to hear.

I think I registered a copy of either rainbow (or Horizon?) many years ago. It's nice to see alternatives in the emulation scene.

Do you know if Richard Bannister will be porting over to Mac OS X?

Many thanks for the hard work

[quote name=Sub(Function(:))' timestamp='1345901545' post='2585884]

Hi all,

[…snip…]

http://www.chrislam....it-emulator.htm

Hi Chris

That is really good to hear.

I think I registered a copy of either rainbow (or Horizon?) many years ago. It's nice to see alternatives in the emulation scene.

Do you know if Richard Bannister will be porting over to Mac OS X?

Many thanks for the hard work

Thanks! Not sure if Richard will be working doing a Mac version... from his website he seems to have cut back his involvement with emulators.

Paul, I just wrote an opinion.

conclusion - emulator unusable.

may-be someday this emulator will be very good and may even surpass altirra.

but not now.

Maybe it was the translator, it sounded very harsh, we want to encourage these guys as much as possible :)

• Like 1

Chris,

I really appriciate those few gifted individuals that have labored to keep the Atari 8-bit going and making it easier for us to re-live one of the coolest machines I can remember. Back in the 1990's there was Xformer and it worked reasonably well. It was no longer supported after 2003. Then I found Atari800Win and it was better. Better than Altirra when Altirra first came out. Now I use Altirra and it is awesome. I remember Rainbow, but never realy tried it. At the time, it looked very cool, but I wasn't spending much time on 8-bits then. Please keep developing it! You never know when Altirra may no longer be supported. There's always room for another 8-bit emulator.

• Like 2

The passion to revive and improve the emulator after 12 years deserves kudos! I remebmer reading about Rainbow in an ABBUC Mag back then and it was unique because it came (legally) with the OS ROMs. Just installed it now and will add is to the next WUDSN IDE update also of couse.

The coolest thing for me is that once again one of my demos is on the emulator site/package :-)

The last time this happend was with Visdom II and Atari 800 Win (it required cycle excat splits and GITA bug).

Can't way to push the emulators again one day .... (that's really getting hard now, RC will cause all unknown effect to be found :-)

Q: It doesn't support double densitiy disks, right? And are the DSK images something special atr just ATRs?

The passion to revive and improve the emulator after 12 years deserves kudos! I remebmer reading about Rainbow in an ABBUC Mag back then and it was unique because it came (legally) with the OS ROMs. Just installed it now and will add is to the next WUDSN IDE update also of couse.

The coolest thing for me is that once again one of my demos is on the emulator site/package :-)

The last time this happend was with Visdom II and Atari 800 Win (it required cycle excat splits and GITA bug).

Can't way to push the emulators again one day .... (that's really getting hard now, RC will cause all unknown effect to be found :-)

Q: It doesn't support double densitiy disks, right? And are the DSK images something special atr just ATRs?

Well, I had to include the demo after the time I spent getting it to work :) A couple more tweaks and it should run perfectly.

Hope to add DD support later. DSK are just ATR disk images without the header.

Hope to add DD support later.

Brilliant! I've actually got some strange 180k disks that Altirra can't boot (Or, at least I can't make them work, but I'm prepared to bet it could be a user setting!). They start up fine (3 beeps for the normal sector reads) then make a horrible 'crash/static' sound and stop.

Phaeron, would you like me to PM an image of one to you?