IGNORED

Atari Flashback 4 Review

The current ones at Target say "with Millepede!" on a sticker on the box

I believe those were originally the ones that were exclusive to Bed, Bath & Beyond. They got the ones with the extra game. There are also bundles out there with paddle controllers and a few other extras.

The things I like about the flashback 4 are that it made me get a flashback 2 to go with my flashback 2+, and the 5 40th Anniversary Posters you could order. I don't need a portable hardware emulator,

I have that already on my phone and tablet.

If I can't have the real hardware, the next best thing is real 2600 hardware in a chip, then emulation.

...that aren't revisting things like 3D Tic TacToe very often.

You know that there was going to be one of us here that was going to reply with "I like 3D Tic Tac Toe". :-)

Actually, I only posted this because though I never really play this very often either, I did happen to give it a few rounds once within the last couple of months.

The Flashback I saw at Family Dollar (presumably Flashback 4) had Adventure II as one of the available games, leading me to wonder... why haven't they released a Super Flashback with 5200 games? They're generally a lot more impressive than their 2600 counterparts. Then they could follow that up with a Pro Flashback with 7800 games, and a portable Handy Flashback with Lynx games...

The Flashback I saw at Family Dollar (presumably Flashback 4) had Adventure II as one of the available games, leading me to wonder... why haven't they released a Super Flashback with 5200 games? They're generally a lot more impressive than their 2600 counterparts. Then they could follow that up with a Pro Flashback with 7800 games, and a portable Handy Flashback with Lynx games...

I believe the idea is only releasing platforms that have a good nostalgia factor and a good library of readily available games to license. In that regard, Sega has been gangbusters because they're very liberal with the licensing. I'm sure if the Intellivision and ColecoVision experiments go well, AtGames will want to explore other classic platforms, but I'd suspect they'd attempt something like a Commodore 64 or Amiga before something like a 5200 or 7800, but I suppose anything is possible. Fat chance though on the Lynx in my opinion.

• Like 1

If the goings on over there don't make further projects all but impossible with the former Atari Corp catalog, I could see something involving the 5200 being viable especially if they included computer exclusives in the mix as well. But I wonder if there are enough 1st party 7800 releases that are free and clear to even make such a thing worthwhile attempting for that platform. Most of the best games were arcade ports and most of those were based on licensed IP from outside of Atari Corp.

Asteroids, Centipede, and Food Fight seem to be about it for 1st party non-licensed content of high quality that people are likely to play more than once or twice. Just not enough there that's worthwhile to make it viable even if the consumer interest was there. They'd need to at least get Namco and Warner Brothers onboard to offer a variety of entertaining 7800 options if they want a lineup that's halfway compelling.

And hopefully Pac-Man Plus with some of his work on such things as the Pac-Man line on the 7800.

Edited by Atariboy

• 3 weeks later...

I believe the idea is only releasing platforms that have a good nostalgia factor and a good library of readily available games to license. In that regard, Sega has been gangbusters because they're very liberal with the licensing. I'm sure if the Intellivision and ColecoVision experiments go well, AtGames will want to explore other classic platforms, but I'd suspect they'd attempt something like a Commodore 64 or Amiga before something like a 5200 or 7800, but I suppose anything is possible. Fat chance though on the Lynx in my opinion.

I'm not sure how I'd react to an Amiga FB console. I mean, how would you decide which games would go on it? I'm a huge fan of the systems, and still have quite a few of them. It's been quite a while since I've had one running, though.... simply because of space issues. One day, though.... those buggers will be up and running. I just hope the disks I have hold out until then.

I'm not sure how I'd react to an Amiga FB console. I mean, how would you decide which games would go on it? I'm a huge fan of the systems, and still have quite a few of them. It's been quite a while since I've had one running, though.... simply because of space issues. One day, though.... those buggers will be up and running. I just hope the disks I have hold out until then.

That's always a challenge, of course, but I think a clue can be found here: http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/23/4548626/classic-amiga-games-coming-to-android-via-google-play and with what Amiga Forever sports by default. Certainly, once you get past the usual suspects, name recognition becomes an issue.

If you do go for a real Amiga system, I highly recommend an Amiga 1200 (minimum 8GB or RAM, though go as high as you can) with a loaded 4GB compact flash drive. It's the ideal combination of classic authenticity and modern convenience.

...Then they could follow that up with a Pro Flashback with 7800 games...

The original Atari Flashback was styled like a miniature ProSystem and included five 7800 games with 15 2600 games. It was developed by Curt Vendel using a NOAC design and ported Atari games. It proved that there was a market for these kinds of devices, and led to the development of the Flashback 2, also a Curt Vendel design, which was done "the right way" using a reproduction of true Atari 2600 circuitry, such that the 40 included games (plus two "hidden" games) were simply ROM files of the original games. It was also designed to be hacked, with locations in the circuit tracings for adding a cartridge reader to allow it to play original Atari VCS games.

The original Atari Flashback was styled like a miniature ProSystem and included five 7800 games with 15 2600 games. It was developed by Curt Vendel using a NOAC design and ported Atari games. It proved that there was a market for these kinds of devices, and led to the development of the Flashback 2, also a Curt Vendel design, which was done "the right way" using a reproduction of true Atari 2600 circuitry, such that the 40 included games (plus two "hidden" games) were simply ROM files of the original games. It was also designed to be hacked, with locations in the circuit tracings for adding a cartridge reader to allow it to play original Atari VCS games.

Unfortunately, the original Flashback was dreadful because of the limitations of both time and the NOAC, so I think it may have done more harm to the 7800's reputation than good. In any case, I can tell you that there's zero interest in a future Atari 7800-based plug and play, and probably not enough licensable games to make it worthwhile. I would suspect though that if a future Atari Flashback ever moved to full emulation, then I could certainly see a few of the 7800 titles sneaking on there.

The challenge with these plug and plays - particularly in today's market - is the notalgia factor, like we discussed. There's no nostalgia for a 7800. Sadly, most people don't enough know it exists, versus something like an Atari 2600 or even a ColecoVision or Intellivision.

I'd much rather use a Minimig or FPGA Replay board then an artificially restricted novelty.

At the same time, these low priced novelties are targeted to the average consumer (read: mass market), while FPGA-based stuff is most certainly not. What's better for us is not necessarily what the average Joe can handle.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up the "Millipede" 76 games release of the FB4 on the weekend. (I also have an FB2+, as well as a couple of 'real' 2600s).

The infrared wireless connection worked better than I might have thought. As long as the lamp on the front edge of the controller is aimed in the general direction of the front side of the FB4, the sensor seems to detect it well enough. I think the sticks have too much throw compared to a traditional wired joystick, and I will likely use it with traditional controllers for the most part.

My understanding is that it contains an ARM processor with VCS emulation in software, running actual ROMs. I have only tried 8 or 9 ROMs so far, but the emulation seems reasonably good. Sound and graphics look pretty good.

When playing Asteroids, I though there was a very slight lag in the controller input. I think I will try again tonight back-to-back with a wired controller to compare.

I think for a casual retro gamer, or for someone who wants a second machine for casual use, it might do the trick. I have mixed feelings about it, mainly because the library is so limited. I get that there are licencing issues, but this would be a much better product if you could insert an SD card or use a USB transfer to load ROMs from outside Atari's own library. Even if they just licenced a few classics from Activision, it would enhance this product.

Edited by ls650

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if it has already been asked.

Can you play 4 player Warlords & Stampede if you plug in 2 sets of paddles on the Atari FB4 ?

Thanks

Warlords does support four players, but Stampede, like all Activision products, doesn't appear on the newer Flashbacks.

Warlords does support four players, but Stampede, like all Activision products, doesn't appear on the newer Flashbacks.

Sorry i meant Steeplechase not stampede.

Also can you play 4 player on pong & Street racer?

Are there any other 4 simultaneous player games i have missed?

Thanks

Edited by Moonpig

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...