IGNORED

Colecovision HSC Rules & Regulations - Season 8

Coleco_Logo_Small.png

Here is the rundown of the rules for the Colecovision HSC:
(last update 09-02-2014 by Manoau2002)

- Every two weeks on Tuesdays, a new game will be chosen and a topic will be started for this round.Rounds end at 8:00a.m. after two weeks before the beginning of the next round. Exceptions will be noted in the topic for that round.

- To join the club just post a score!

- The game request topic has closed for the 2014/2015 season. Games will be crossed off as they are played.

- There may be additional homebrew tournaments(of games with no rom release) throughout the year. They will not count toward season totals. Only games with a free rom release will count towards season points.

- Emulators are permitted. Please do not use the "save/load" feature of these emulators to later come back and finish a game in progress. High scores should be from a single game playing session.

- Games may be played using the Atgames Colecovision Flashback

- Pausing a game is acceptable for short periods to allow for bio breaks!

- Screenshots of your score are not necessary but are encouraged for higher scores.

- Post your scores in the thread of the actual game. Please create a new post for each score - do not update existing posts with new scores.

- Please do not cheat or abuse bugs/glitches in the games to your advantage!

- Use the same skill level as posted so that all scores will be accurate.

- Everyone who rolls a score will be tied for first place. Unless noted in the thread you do not have to continue playing after you roll a score unless you choose to do so. Exceptions will be noted in the topic for that round.

- Scoring system (commences Season 6):

To encourage all players to try and achieve their personal best, the scoring system has been changed, commencing Season 6, to one that is proportionally based. The player with the highest score in a game will be in first place and will win 100 points. All other points are allocated based on each player's score relative to the top score. Points are rounded to the nearest integer.

Example:

1st place = 100,000 = 100 points
2nd place = 73,860 = 74 points
3rd place = 68,652 = 69 points
4th place = 35,981 = 36 points
5th place = 22,343 = 22 points
6th place = 11,936 = 12 points
7th place = 1,328 = 1 points

If a tie should occur for first place then both/all of the first place tied players will each receive 100 points. All other players will receive points relative to the top score as usual. If players tie for other positions then this does not affect the scoring, all players will be allocated points relative to the top score, in this instance the tied players would receive the same number of points without affecting the score of other players in lower positions. So, the only way that a player's points can be reduced is if the top score is increased.

This new system should encourage both high scorers and lower scorers alike. Those exceptional players can keep increasing the top score thus pushing the points of the other players down and player's lower in the ranking can always get more points by simply beating their last high score.

- Quick-Start-Bonus and Challenges

To keep things simple and to keep with the principle of proportional scoring both Quick Start Bonuses and Challenges have been removed from the competition. The competition is now simply about how high a score (or low a time) you can achieve.

The Colecovision HSC is just for fun and bragging rights. Please DO NOT CHEAT and DO NOT ABUSE BUGS/GLITCHS in the games to your advantage. If you are suspected of

cheating in any way your score will be removed from the HSC.

If you have any questions or comments please send a PM to Manoau2002 and I will respond ASAP.

Archive

Point distribution for Seasons 4 and 5 is here.

Point distribution for Season 3 is here.

Point distribution for Seasons 1 and 2:
1st place=11 points
2nd place=10 points
3rd place=9 points
4th place=8 points
5th place=7 points
6th place=6 points
7th place=5 points
8th place=4 points
9th place=3 points
10th place=2 points
11th place and on=1 point

Edited by Manoau2002
  • Like 1

Hi Ikrananka, thank you for starting the new HSC.

Here my opinion to the new score system:

1.) Removing the quick start bonus is a good idea.

2.) In my eyes it was overdue to reward the first (second and third) places with more points. Last year the difference between 1st and 2nd place was only 1 point, while the difference between 4th and 5th place was 2 points.

I don't know if the new score system can improve this situation.

3.) I see one problem. Take Round 1 of the last season - Jumpman Junior. The winner had a score of about 350.000 points, the 2nd and 3rd place had scores about 10.000+. Now the winner would earn 100 points, the runner-ups both 3 or 4 points. I can remember, I was struggling very hard to improve my score finish under the first 3 places. I don't know, if I would do this again with the new score system, because it's not worth enough.

On the other hand there are games with very tight results like Choplifter or Maze Maniac where it is not possible to leave your opponents far behind.

Every new score system has its advantages and disadvantages, of course I'll give the new one a chance.

Last but not least: It's only a game.

I'm very happy to play with you guys a new season.

3.) I see one problem. Take Round 1 of the last season - Jumpman Junior. The winner had a score of about 350.000 points, the 2nd and 3rd place had scores about 10.000+. Now the winner would earn 100 points, the runner-ups both 3 or 4 points. I can remember,

I guess the real question is if this happens does that mean the winner of this game basically has the season won and no one will be able to catch him.

I guess there is really no way to know though because you have no idea what games someone could pull away from everyone else.

I think there should be a rule where if anyone beats my score they are automatically disqualified from the competition <evil grin>...

Comments welcome on the new rules and regulations. Please note the significant change in rules regarding scoring of points.

The new season starts at 1:00 AM, Saturday 1st September (or a little later on that day depending on when I get to the computer to submit the post).

3.) I see one problem. Take Round 1 of the last season - Jumpman Junior. The winner had a score of about 350.000 points, the 2nd and 3rd place had scores about 10.000+. Now the winner would earn 100 points, the runner-ups both 3 or 4 points. I can remember,

I guess the real question is if this happens does that mean the winner of this game basically has the season won and no one will be able to catch him.

I guess there is really no way to know though because you have no idea what games someone could pull away from everyone else.

Thanks for the comments guys. Jumpman Junior is an interesting example from last season and is clearly a case of the top player completely squashing the competition. Personally, I believe that when someone has such an exceptional score it is unfair that someone in second place, with say 10% of the top score, receives 90% of the top points. I ran the entire Season 5 through my new scoring system and there are only a few examples where an exceptional score squashes everyone so much that they only receive a few points. In most cases the points are reasonably balanced.

Check out the following tables. The left table shows the end of season Leaderboard using the old season 5 point system and the right table shows the Leaderboard using the new season 6 point system. It is interesting to see that the most of the top places only shuffle around a place or two. However, significant changes occur for those players lower down the leaderboard. For example, let's look at purenergy. In the old system purenergy was place 17th out of 29 while in the new system purenergy drops to the very bottom of the leaderboard. Now, puernergy only played 2 out of the 25 rounds last season and in those rounds the winners posted exceptional scores squashing down the points for everyone else. I don't see this as being unfair - in fact the opposite. The key to success is to play as many rounds as possible to mitigate the effect of low point rounds killing your leaderboard position.

post-5757-0-56769400-1346540475_thumb.png

Now the problem that I currently have is how to handle games that give both negative and positive score, such as Blockade Runner. Any suggestions welcome.

• Like 1

I think there should be a rule where if anyone beats my score they are automatically disqualified from the competition <evil grin>...

Comments welcome on the new rules and regulations. Please note the significant change in rules regarding scoring of points.

The new season starts at 1:00 AM, Saturday 1st September (or a little later on that day depending on when I get to the computer to submit the post).

Comment considered and ignored - LOL :)

BTW - see my previous post. With the new scoring system you would have won last season!!!

This new system should be interesting...hopefully it will work out well. It clearly favors the top individual performances and you are hurt more for missing rounds. In situations where there is not a large field you would not be guaranteed points for participation and in fact could perhaps get only a fraction of the old system due to a great performance. I guess we will see how this plays out and these are just some simple observations.

(...)

Now the problem that I currently have is how to handle games that give both negative and positive score, such as Blockade Runner. Any suggestions welcome.

I don't know this game, I'm assuming it's a linear score and negative is bad :P

In this case you can make the lower score as zero.

So if the bottom score is -147, you can add 147 to all scores, making all scores positive.

Problem is the bottom player wouldn't get any points...

(...)

I don't know this game, I'm assuming it's a linear score and negative is bad :P

In this case you can make the lower score as zero.

So if the bottom score is -147, you can add 147 to all scores, making all scores positive.

Problem is the bottom player wouldn't get any points...

Yeah, I wondered about making any negative score zero. The problem is that in Blockade Runner it can be quite difficult to get a positive score and so it is likely that several players would be negative but to widely varying degrees. So, in this case it would be better to award points from zero to 100 based on the maximum and minimum scores in a round. But then again.......

I'm not suggesting making any negative zero. All negative will be positive but the lower and only the lower score will be zero. If lower is -147, then add 147 to all. -147->0. -100->47.3->150 etc.

Ah - gotcha - I like that idea. I'll have a think about it and may refine it a little by adding the absolutely lowest possible negative score to all scores, that way the person at the bottom at least get's some points assuming they are above the absolute minimum score. Likely to not be an issue this season - we played Blockade Runner last season so will likely not be in this season's HSC.

Thanks for your input - much appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I see what you mean Dan,

Let's say, (if a game is missed) ... the point totals are "very high", if one wants to rank well, it would be VITAL to play every game or almost all, for the season...to challenge the top 5 rankings. i think??

i assume some players will go up or down a lot in point totals..., and the best players will score BIG almost every game, as colecovision experts are most consistent and play most.

it seems like the sense of building ranking points is gone, and anyone could take over anyone elses ranking who might miss a game or two... which seems cool, but its nothing more then quanity over game play quality.

now, i like the idea of the new scoring system, but maybe the total points awarded are too high and separated from each score standing...??, i'm assuming it will cause randomized point total results.

i dunno, we will see how it goes...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I never really thought about this before and I haven't played in any tournaments this year but after looking through the Defender message board I am wondering if there is an unfair advantage for our PAL neighbors.

I don't even know how many on here are PAL players. If the sound is slowed down does that mean the action is slowed down because of PAL then does that mean they are playing an easier game than the NTSC?

Just wondering.

• 2 months later...

Ikrananka,

Although I'm not a Colecovision player, I would like to make my ultimate suggestion for 'huge scores' submitted on CV HSC:

Encourage players to submit videos to prove the highest scores. Since February 1st, 2013, I am using Atube Catcher to record my gameplay videos in order to play fairly on Atari Age HSC. To illustrate an example, here is my Atari 2600 Millipede Gameplay Video, divided in 3 parts - 1,000,000+ points (DON'T WORRY about platform).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt5FZRWfFVo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9LAo5-ESAM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQLXMIEzpUA

Edited by oyamafamily

The problem is that you are able to record that easily because you are playing on an emulator correct?

I play on the real hardware as I am sure at least some or half of the other people do as well which makes creating a video harder.

Plus this is just for fun and if someone is really cheating to make sure he wins then he is just a moron because it is not like you win anything.

Also not sure if AA would love the bigger amount of data that this forum would take up with all those videos.

Did research on your A tube thing and I see it is for screen but I still wouldn't want to go through all that trouble for something that is supposed to be fun.

Edited by ColecoDan

I don't think videos are necessary either. I also play (whenever possible) on real hardware which would add an extra snag or two to the recording process. I know that I am not even close to being the best Colecovision player in the world. For me the high score competition is about self achievement. I post a score and then I try to beat that score. If posting a fake highscore makes you feel like a winner its sad. At the end of the day this is just a video game and there's more important things like family, friends, work, finances, to worry about.

The problem is that you are able to record that easily because you are playing on an emulator correct?

I play on the real hardware as I am sure at least some or half of the other people do as well which makes creating a video harder.

Plus this is just for fun and if someone is really cheating to make sure he wins then he is just a moron because it is not like you win anything.

Also not sure if AA would love the bigger amount of data that this forum would take up with all those videos.

Did research on your A tube thing and I see it is for screen but I still wouldn't want to go through all that trouble for something that is supposed to be fun.

Yeah, it's correct. Currently I'm using the following emulators - Stella 3.6 for Atari 2600 and Prosystem Emulator version 13 for 7800. This suggestion is most for emulator users, in order to prove if you are NOT using special features, such as Save and Load States.

Edited by oyamafamily

If I have to make a video, I will quit playing. That would take all the fun out. And like someone said above, if you cheat in the HSC, you are just a moron.

I switch back and forth between playing on an emulator and real hardware. Some games I find I play better on a real CV, some better on an emulator.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

When does the season end for this round of the hsc? Is there HSC over the summer months?

I normally run the seasons for around 24 rounds. My aim is to run the season for just under one year each and to then have around a months break over the summer while people holiday/vacation. So, I will likely terminate this season towards the end of July and restart beginning of September.

Let me know if you'd prefer a different approach and I can setup a poll to please the majority.

I never really thought about this before and I haven't played in any tournaments this year but after looking through the Defender message board I am wondering if there is an unfair advantage for our PAL neighbors. I don't even know how many on here are PAL players. If the sound is slowed down does that mean the action is slowed down because of PAL then does that mean they are playing an easier game than the NTSC?Just wondering.
There is no difference between PAL and NTSC on the Colecovision. Exeption: Defender - the scanner is invisible on PAL machines.BTW: due to the "cold war" between Ikrananka and myself (he is heavily editing my posts in this forum) I had to delete the final results from season 2 and 3 ("intellectual property"). Edited by Mister VCS