Photo

psychicall lynx lcd dimension

92 replies to this topic

#76 karri ONLINE  

karri

River Patroller

• 2,591 posts

Posted Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:34 AM

Soldering flex ribbons to circuit boards is probably out of reach for ordinary mortals.

I even get stuck with TSOP packages nowadays. My eyesight is not what it used to be.

--
Karri

#77 GadgetUK OFFLINE  

GadgetUK

Stargunner

• 1,946 posts

Posted Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:27 AM

Agreed, Lynx 1 might be a bit tricky. I am sure I could do it if anyone wanted me to do theirs but I suspect it wouldnt be that easy. It's one thing soldering a TSOP, its another soldering a ribbon to a PCB. other than on a DVD assembly ive never seen a ribbon soldered onto a board like this, they nearly are always are socketed.

Edited by GadgetUK, Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:28 AM.

#78 Shawn Jefferson OFFLINE  

Shawn Jefferson

Stargunner

• 1,987 posts

Posted Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:23 PM

What about fitting a socket of some sort? Or is that physically difficult given the space inside the Lynx I?

Well, you know, even if this is not possible or practical in the Lynx I, it's still very cool.

#79 candle OFFLINE  

candle

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,793 posts

Posted Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:43 PM

It could be possible to:

a) solder directly to exposed VIAs near LCD connectors (shown clearly on closeup #3 of MrBland's photos (THANK YOU!!))
b) solder ZIF connector there for 1.25mm pitch FFC/FPC cable - it might be hard to get one that isn't through-hole though - this kind of connector (at that pitch) usually have zig-zag patter of pins as on lynx ii

if no connector can be fitted, you'll be looking at soldering 15 wires directly to lynx mother board - not too many, but still not pretty thing to do

there is a third option, but costs might be prohibiting - there are type of pcb that was originally used for connecting that pcb -its called flex pcb, and can be made to any size and shape, problem is i never did such pcb, so i don't know the cost, and they aren't ment for prototypes

removing original flex to get rid of the lcd module will be another story

right now, i'm rather leaning toward making two separate boards (for lynx and lynx ii) rather than one-fits-all solution as i can't see how i could get them both on single one since mechanical costrains are so diffrent

one another thing is getting 26-way FFC/FPC cable - in Poland i can get 28-ways ones and they would need to be trimmed by hand (simple task but still not pretty, and getting it to right size so it wouldn't move inside original connector might be tricky) and China factories accept orders of 1000pcs or more

in the end there will be a demand factor - might be that there won't be many modyfying original lynx, and project for this one won't enter the production

maybe i should do a poll?

#80 jmetal88 OFFLINE  

jmetal88

Dragonstomper

• 723 posts

Posted Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:47 PM

It could be possible to:

a) solder directly to exposed VIAs near LCD connectors (shown clearly on closeup #3 of MrBland's photos (THANK YOU!!))
b) solder ZIF connector there for 1.25mm pitch FFC/FPC cable - it might be hard to get one that isn't through-hole though - this kind of connector (at that pitch) usually have zig-zag patter of pins as on lynx ii

if no connector can be fitted, you'll be looking at soldering 15 wires directly to lynx mother board - not too many, but still not pretty thing to do

there is a third option, but costs might be prohibiting - there are type of pcb that was originally used for connecting that pcb -its called flex pcb, and can be made to any size and shape, problem is i never did such pcb, so i don't know the cost, and they aren't ment for prototypes

removing original flex to get rid of the lcd module will be another story

right now, i'm rather leaning toward making two separate boards (for lynx and lynx ii) rather than one-fits-all solution as i can't see how i could get them both on single one since mechanical costrains are so diffrent

one another thing is getting 26-way FFC/FPC cable - in Poland i can get 28-ways ones and they would need to be trimmed by hand (simple task but still not pretty, and getting it to right size so it wouldn't move inside original connector might be tricky) and China factories accept orders of 1000pcs or more

in the end there will be a demand factor - might be that there won't be many modyfying original lynx, and project for this one won't enter the production

maybe i should do a poll?

I only have a Lynx II, so that would be the one I'd go for. As for the flex cable, I'm also having trouble finding 26-conductor versions, so I'm not sure what to say, there. :(

#81 karri ONLINE  

karri

River Patroller

• 2,591 posts

Posted Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:08 PM

Lynx I is very rare compared to Lynx II. Would it make sense to just do the Lynx II and if it is possible have some instructions for hard core modders to solder it into a Lynx I.

I have a Lynx I with a very good LCD. But I have a few Lynx II's and my development Lynx has a fading LCD so I would probably only want to get a better screen to that one.

--
Karri

#82 GadgetUK OFFLINE  

GadgetUK

Stargunner

• 1,946 posts

Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:59 AM

I agree, it should primarily be aimed at Lynx 2 with instructions for advanced 'solderers' to fit / fudge into a Lynx 1. There are way more Lynx 2's and from what ive seen the Lynx 2 LCD seems to fail a lot more than the Lynx 1 LCD.

#83 MrBland OFFLINE  

MrBland

Dragonstomper

• 826 posts
  • 474|2!

Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:18 PM

If something for the Lynx I is produced I will definately try it out, but I agree with everyone else that producing just for the II makes more sense.

#84 pixeljunkie OFFLINE  

pixeljunkie

Space Invader

• 40 posts

Posted Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:54 AM

this is so exciting!

#85 matashen OFFLINE  

matashen

Moonsweeper

• 469 posts

Posted Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:05 PM

A Flex PCB should not be a problem. If you have a PCB Design i can order it. If you can say a size and layers i can calculate the price.

Regards Matthias

#86 candle OFFLINE  

candle

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,793 posts

Posted Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:32 PM

really?
lets say it would fit 60x60mm square (duble L shaped something), but if it is an option, i'll work with that idea a bit more to reduce the size

#87 matashen OFFLINE  

matashen

Moonsweeper

• 469 posts

Posted Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:56 PM

fast calculated - not the exact price for flex board
by 60x60mmm one Layer
50pcs 9,-€
30pcs 12,-€

two layer

50pcs 14,-€
30pcs 18,-€

#88 candle OFFLINE  

candle

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,793 posts

Posted Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:29 AM

thanks! i'll get to this back when i have final design!

#89 candle OFFLINE  

candle

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,793 posts

Posted Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:34 AM

wait, this is 9 or 12 euro a piece?

#90 108 Stars OFFLINE  

108 Stars

River Patroller

• 2,277 posts

Posted Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:58 AM

If you buy 50, it's 9 Euro a piece; if you buy only 30, it's 12 Euro a piece.

#91 candle OFFLINE  

candle

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,793 posts

Posted Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:10 AM

my target price is 60-70usd for whole device, so this is no-go

#92 matashen OFFLINE  

matashen

Moonsweeper

• 469 posts

Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012 12:01 PM

OK, than forget the expensiv flex-pcb

#93 disjaukifa OFFLINE  

disjaukifa

River Patroller

• 2,125 posts
  • Berzerker In Training

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012 10:58 PM

Responding to this as I'm now able to get updates on this topic, can't wait for the LCD info to come along! Any updates on the project?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users