Photo

Sega CD Model 1 - Plays audio CDs but not games.

Sega Sega CD Model 1 Problem Loading Disc Genesis Repair

6 replies to this topic

#1 ViciousTengu OFFLINE  

ViciousTengu

Space Invader

• 28 posts

Posted Sun Sep 2, 2012 11:31 PM

I've recently purchased a non-working Sega CD off of e-Bay that had a problem with the tray constantly ejecting and not spinning discs. After some minor gear realignment and a belt change I was able to get the tray working 100% but for some reason I am still not able to load any games :( . Strange thing about this is I am still able to play audio CDs just fine. I've tested the games it came with on a modchiped Xbox and they played fine so I am begining to think this may be some kind of laser issue. I've already tried all the basic cleaning steps and am ready to consult the experts. I want to bring this thing back to life! :)

P.S. Any experience with generic KSS-240A laser pickups?

#2 SmittyB ONLINE  

SmittyB

Moonsweeper

• 315 posts

Posted Fri Sep 7, 2012 6:01 AM

Are you sure the games are the same region as the console? I've found that the SEGA-CD doesn't tell you if a game isn't compatible, rather it will try and play it as a music CD if it has any audio on the disc.

#3 ViciousTengu OFFLINE  

ViciousTengu

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 28 posts

Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:04 PM

Yes, they are all region 1 discs. The games aren't even detected as audio CDs like I believe they should be... Say I turn on the Sega CD and then the BIOS screen with the Sega CD logo comes up perfectly fine. It says "Press RESET to open the CD tray" from this point if a regular audio CD is inserted it goes to the jukebox screen and plays all tracks perfectly fine, But if a game is inserted it just stays on the BIOS screen and nothing happens at all. I purchased and tried installing a Chinese replacement laser pickup and that just causes the disc to not spin at all even after potentiometer adjustents.

#4 BinaryStar OFFLINE  

BinaryStar

Moonsweeper

• 276 posts

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:43 AM

Are you sure its a Region 1 Sega CD machine?

#5 SmittyB ONLINE  

SmittyB

Moonsweeper

• 315 posts

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:48 AM

My PAL Mega-CD 2 complains if I plug it into my jap Megadrive so I assume the same happens with all incorrect Megadrive/CD combinations. It would display a grey screen with text along the lines of "This is a PAL Mega-CD 2 and may only be used with a PAL Megadrive"

#6 ViciousTengu OFFLINE  

ViciousTengu

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 28 posts

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:36 PM

Yes, It's a US model Sega CD.

#7 nassekova OFFLINE  

nassekova

Combat Commando

• 1 posts

Posted Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:26 AM

I have this exact same problem with my Japanese Megadrive + Mega CD (model 1). It plays audio CDs fine, but when trying to load a game it just keeps playing the bios screen. I have fully recapped both consoles and even changed a new laser to Mega CD, but still same problem. I measured CD-unit flat cable that all the threads are working. Must have something to do with data line :/ Did ViciousTengu or any one else solve this problem? And I have a US region free BIOS installed, but tried Japanese region free too with my MD everdrive. 

Edited by nassekova, Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:27 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sega, Sega CD, Model 1, Problem, Loading, Disc, Genesis, Repair

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users