IGNORED

just got a Vectrex - questions...

angusjake

And it works!

Very cool, congratulations on the purchase of one of the most unique systems ever made.

I know nothing about this system so:

-what are the best games?

In my opinion, Mine Storm (btw, do you know that you can plug in your Vectrex, turn it on, and the game will come up? Yep, it's built in!), Cosmic Chasm, Bedlam (a "reverse Tempest": you're in the middle, and ships comes towards you), Fortress of Narzod, Spike, Spinball (a pinball game), Space Wars (if you have two players), and John Dondzilla has made seven (I think) homebrewed games that are supposed to be the best for the system, which are games that have been imspired by Missile Command, Space Invaders, Gravitar, and a few others I can't recall.

-is there a FAQ?

-whats the best Vectrex site?

I'll get a few links and put 'em up here later; probably John Dondzilla's and Spike's Big Vectrex page are the best sites, though.

-anyone have games or a controller to sell?

I MIGHT have a game to trade, but it's promised to another guy at the moment who I told him what games I needed for a trade for my other systems, which he said he'd come up with a list and get back to me, which was a week ago...tell ya what, I'll give him another week, and if he still hasn't popped up--and someone hasn't given, sold or traded the game that I have--I'll see about getting it sent your way.

Back later with those links, unless someone beats me to them!

Ok, here's pretty much an all-purpose link (along with the good ones Cpuwiz came up with):

http://www.classicgaming.com/museum/vectrex/

It gives a history of the console (even though the Video Game Crash probably would've killed it anyway, they sure did get ripped off when they had tv commercials filmed for their console, but Milton Bradley said no) and the J. Donzilla and Spike's Big Vectrex page links.

Oh, and I forgot to mention Web Wars as to also being a good game, in my opinion.

Thanks for the tips. The Vectrex is a very cool unit - so unique - I got it with 9 games for $130 US (hope I didn't get burned) - it seemed steep but I have always wanted one and you just don't see them in the wild around here. So far Mine Storm, Scramble, Berzerk and Armour Attack are great. Another game I tried actually had voice synthesis on it. I will hopefully go to CGE this year and get the multi-cart - any idea what Sean sells it for? If anyone has an extra controller, multicart or games feel free to PM me - cheers!

Let me add "Solar Quest" to the favorite games list. I also like Super Cobra and Poll Position. Heck, most of the games are pretty playable. Also, for most you don't really need the overlays, although for some it looks nicer and other (Pinball) it's absolutely required.

Also, I strongly recommend laying out for a multicart if you have the dollars. And if you're rich uncle just died and left you an inheritance, the 3d goggles are really cool, even though there's only 3 games that use them. (Hint -- the 3D games play in color, sort of).

I have a ton of vectrex games for trade/sale.

Eric

For anyone interested, I'm making a batch of verctrex controllers from genesis controllers.  These function very well and are much easier to use than an origional vec controller.  I'll have them available for trade and sale at Phillyclassic in March.

MattG.

Is it difficult to do that?

Hello and congratulations for getting the Vectrex with games for a reasonable price!

All games for the Vectrex are awesome and cool! (Except the Light pen and 3D games .. which are more curiosities and gimmics).

There is some new hardware that allows you to get the best out of your

Vectrex.

1. Vectrex RAM cart .. Allows you to play almost every Vectrex ROM on the console .. check out

2. Vectrex VecVoice .. speech circuit for the Vectrex ..

3. Vectrex Multicart (Kelly)

4. Reproduction Lightpens

5. Atari to Vectrex circuit

6. Chris Tumber games

7. John Dondzila games

Questions? go to the Vectrex newsgroup: rec.games.vectrex

More info: Spike's Big Vectrex Page

Tech:

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

I got it with 9 games for $130 US (hope I didn't get burned)

Burned? Uh no, you did quite alright. I may be overstating a bit, but a Veccy goes for $100 by itself (depending on condition) and the carts are usually $20-$30 each depending on title. You did just fine.

I will hopefully go to CGE this year and get the multi-cart - any idea what Sean sells it for?
Last I heard it was $75. But it's well worth it for the (nearly) entire Vectrex library including homebrews. And Sean will update it for a ominal fee when new games are found/released. Can't go wrong at all with it.

Last I heard it was $75. But it's well worth it for the (nearly) entire Vectrex library including homebrews. And Sean will update it for a ominal fee when new games are found/released. Can't go wrong at all with it.

I think you can go wrong if it's ominal actually. He'd probably take a piece of your brain out in payment! Mmmm, brainssss...

Anybody else have a Vec multi-cart that goes kersplonk if you scroll the menu too fast? It seems if I go down three pages and then hold down to scroll it up past the first page, the cart locks no matter which bank I'm in and I have to turn the Vec back on and off. I figured this was just a bug in Sean's menu system though so I didn't complain.

The Kelly Multicart is a great item .. but Sean Kelly cannot keep up with all the newer homebrew games coming out for the Vectrex. I sold my Kelly Multicart when I received my Vectrex RAMcart. I have about 150 Vectrex ROMs on my palmtop that I can transfer to the RAMcart.

And if you want to program for the Vectrex, the RAMcart is the way to go.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA