IGNORED

Looking for BB/ST Software, Rare?

Back in my 520ST days, I ran a BBS on a software called BBS/T. Since I sold my ST back in those same days (still kicking myself) I of course sold the software that went with it, but since I've been dabbling in old BBS software I've been looking for a copy of this program to no avail. I don't know if it's really that rare, or if I'm just not looking in the right place for it. Can anyone help? I'd pay for a copy of the actual software if the price is right, but I suspect this software is pretty hard to come by.

Bonus points if you find an update for the program. I always heard that the original owner made several updates to the program, but again, could not find.

The BBS Documentary site has only this to say on the program:

http://software.bbsd.../ATARI/ST/BBST/

Thanks in advance,

-Andy

edit, bah, looks like he's working at Facebook now.

Edited by Android8675

Yeah, I sent him a message on Facebook. The more I think about it I seem to recall someone saying they talked to him and he no longer has the source, but still curious. Was one of the rare BBS's to offer a Tree type message system where each message is a reply to another. A lost form of communication IMO.

Tree form message bases are a lost art form. First BBS I could recall that had something like this was XBBS in Santa Cruz. I recall the board was custom coded on a Victor computer (the couple who ran the board worked for Seagate/Victor Computers in Scotts Valley a long time ago), it was super chic. Another was called Pyrzqxgl, was a board based in Ben Lomond, again custom BBS software running some obscure computer hardware. I learned a lot about net etiquette on these boards.

An old site for all things Santa Cruz County BBS Scene can be found http://www.tachyonlabs.com/pyrzqxgl.html here... I was FastBlaster in those days. Didn't leave a huge mark, but I'm sure some of my offensive (didn't know any better) posts are around there somewhere.

• 1 year later...

Spent a couple hours looking for signs of BB/ST today, got me a 1040ST on the way, still looking to find this software.

spent some time on cd.textfiles.com to no avail.

sent a comment or two to Steven Grimm on Facebook/Quora, have never gotten a response from him, maybe the subject leaves a bad taste in his mouth or something?

I'm almost to the point where I am considering re-learning to code and making my own version of BB/ST. Considering getting Pure C and using an emulator so I can code in np++.

-A.

Im a collector as well.. I just love it when you reach a BBS programmer just for them to tell you they don't have a copy of the program, let alone the source. Smoke and mirrors I tell ya.. Anyway, ive been looking for BBS/T for a long time as well, so I guess its time to start looking again. If you happened to find it, let me know as I will do the same.

Also, ive been looking for FoReM PC, a port of FoReM ST, by Matt Singer. He's another one that claims not to have any copies of his own work.. Yea right.

Happy hunting.

I have copies of Turboboard and RatsNeST, so playing with those at the moment. Trying to remember how to call external doors and what have you, Just found ST Nationals which is a fairly deep drag racing door game.

picked up the ST yesterday, but it doesn't have a (m)odulator so I have nothing to even make sure it's booting properly. Opened it up though, looks to be in perfect original condition, PSU looks great, etc. Hoping to find a monitor soon. MOney tight.

• 1 month later...

I might have it as I copied many 8Bit & ST BBS disks in the 80's & 90's. It will be a few weeks until I can get to my closet which is where the rest of my ST stuff is still waiting to get unpacked...

Cool Geezer, I'll just wait then. I'm really in no rush at all, just a long long program I'd love to find a copy of.

-A.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www4.pair.com/gribnif/sale.htm

Found this page with a one line mention that this guy had a BB/ST disk, sans manual. Just sent him an email. Fingers crossed, who knows could be a page from the 90s.

Couldn't be further from the truth - Last updated 5/15/98.

But hey, this guy may either still have them, or at least a copy... good luck!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Octupus could aswell. when it comes to even Another BBS called PBBS had same option. then there is 2 other softs I dont have a clue about. :)

Hey Marcer! Well, that's interesting - I didn't know anything besides the Michtron software supported it. I can still remember

calling in to Atari Corps BBS when they had multiple lines. So cool....

Hi

Here is BB/ST v1.0

I have other bbs systems like:

BBS Express ST

Forem ST

Michtron v3.0

Octupus BBS

Pirate BBS 2

QuickBBS

Ratsnets

Star Net BBS

Turbo Board

attachicon.gifbbst_1_0.zip

Wow Mercer, thanks! I'll check out this version though i could of sworn the version I used to run was like 2.27, but this is great news anyways.

Thanks,

-A.