IGNORED

My tries at assembler

OK, I got DASM working, but after looking at some sample source code I'm a little bit surprised and frustrated at all the new stuff I have to learn if I want to try my hand at this. Why is Atari 2600 assembly way more complicated than Odyssey2 assembly? I learned Odyssey2 assembly pretty quickly, but apparently the Atari 2600 is a more complicated machine?

I know nothing about assembly for the Odyssey2, but any console is going to have its own special stuff that has nothing to do with assembly. With the 2600 the biggest thing you need to deal with is that it has no screen memory as such, only graphics registers, so the "simple" act of drawing a screen display means you have to load new data into the graphics registers on just about every scan line. That isn't as bad as it sounds, because you just need to design a loop and read the graphics data from tables. There are already some code routines out there that you can use if they fit your needs (such as "skipdraw"), but it's usually best to create your own kernel based on the specific type of display you want to draw for your game.