Photo

Lynx to VGA

564 replies to this topic

#26 GadgetUK OFFLINE  

GadgetUK

Stargunner

• 1,945 posts

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:33 AM

I think the Lynx 1 LCD is soldered isnt it, does anyone know?

#27 the.golden.ax OFFLINE  

the.golden.ax

Quadrunner

• 12,547 posts

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:40 AM

Finally a use for all those good boards with bad screens out there.

#28 candle OFFLINE  

candle

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,793 posts

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:00 AM

any of you willing to participate in prototype testing? i could make 5-10 prototype boards, costs are pretty linear, but parts might be hard to get for me (since i live in Poland)

worst case scenario is 90-100USD a piece, including LCD module, it would be a drop in replacement, at least for lynx II, for lynx I i don't know

Edited by candle, Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:00 AM.

#29 jmetal88 OFFLINE  

jmetal88

Dragonstomper

• 723 posts

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:16 AM

any of you willing to participate in prototype testing? i could make 5-10 prototype boards, costs are pretty linear, but parts might be hard to get for me (since i live in Poland)

worst case scenario is 90-100USD a piece, including LCD module, it would be a drop in replacement, at least for lynx II, for lynx I i don't know

I'd be willing to test a prototype. I was a tester for the PCjr 'Jr-IDE' project (kind of still am, since I'm still using the prototype board for daily use) so I've done a bit of this before. Send me a PM once you've worked out the details and I'll see how I can help.

#30 GadgetUK OFFLINE  

GadgetUK

Stargunner

• 1,945 posts

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:42 AM

Absolutely!! UK based and have all of the original releases 72 games, zaku and around 30 protos and homebrew ROMs so can test against most games.

#31 mimo OFFLINE  

mimo

Preppie!

• 6,826 posts
  • It's easy living in a bubble

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:49 AM

My project next then Sebastian ? ;)

#32 MrBland OFFLINE  

MrBland

Dragonstomper

• 826 posts
  • 474|2!

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:39 AM

I would be happy to test it out for you. I have a Lynx I and II, all original games, all homebrews and a flash card to test ROMS.

#33 LX.NET OFFLINE  

LX.NET

Dragonstomper

• 765 posts

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:43 AM

Count me in for prototype testing as well. I've opened up enough Lynx consoles lately to feel confident enough to take a soldering iron and do replacements. Plus I've got some spare Lynxes lying around that I can sacrifice for the sake of science and knowledge if it is needed. Drop me a PM if I can help.

#34 GadgetUK OFFLINE  

GadgetUK

Stargunner

• 1,945 posts

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:32 PM

If anyone in the UK wants me to fit the prototype mod to their Lynx I am willing to provide the service free of charge provided you pay return postage and dont hold me responsible for damage in transit etc.

#35 karri OFFLINE  

karri

River Patroller

• 2,587 posts

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:45 PM

Pick me! I volunteer! Pick me!
Shrek-And-Donkey-Shrek-Forever-After-575x359.jpg

#36 Shawn Jefferson OFFLINE  

Shawn Jefferson

Stargunner

• 1,987 posts

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:48 PM

Of course I am interested in testing... :)

#37 venom4728a OFFLINE  

venom4728a

Dragonstomper

• 617 posts

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:15 PM

I have two Lynx II's one LNIB a second with bad screen, I only have a few games though. I would definetly like to get a couple of these, so count me in for 2 units please.

Robert

#38 remowilliams OFFLINE  

remowilliams

Quadrunner

• 10,607 posts

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:30 PM

I've got a few spare units, loads of carts, and a rework station. I'm up for it :)

#39 doctorclu OFFLINE  

doctorclu

***Moon Patrol 5200*** *Moon Master2015* *Blue Max:Class 4*

• 7,728 posts
  • *Star Raiders 2* **Captain -CL 2**

Posted Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:25 PM

Would be interested also in testing. Would love to look into wiring up a Lynx for external display and for an external controller.

I have a lot of the Lynx games and a game loader.

#40 woolfman OFFLINE  

woolfman

Chopper Commander

• 135 posts

Posted Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:41 AM

I am definitely interested. Sent you a pm.

#41 Emehr OFFLINE  

Emehr

River Patroller

• 4,210 posts
  • Happiness is... a chomping Pac-Man!

Posted Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:10 PM

Excellent work! How did I miss this thread? If these become a product I can order (kit or otherwise) I will buy one and I will make a mini Lynx arcade. I do have a spare Lynx I wouldn't mind soldering too (the ribbon cable is borked) in case you need more testers. My software library isn't huge though. I only have about 40 games.

#42 Atariman OFFLINE  

Atariman

River Patroller

• 2,128 posts
  • Made entirely from Atari parts!

Posted Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:37 PM

I might potentially be interested in being a tester as well. I have access to a wide range of components, have numerous work/rework stations at my place of work, many Lynx IIs, and an Atmel micro programmer (can't remember what the model number is, but it is capable of setting the config bits and whatnot). I also have a decent-sized lynx library and would only need code and a schematic if parts were an issue. :)

#43 GadgetUK OFFLINE  

GadgetUK

Stargunner

• 1,945 posts

Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:05 AM

I might potentially be interested in being a tester as well. I have access to a wide range of components, have numerous work/rework stations at my place of work, many Lynx IIs, and an Atmel micro programmer (can't remember what the model number is, but it is capable of setting the config bits and whatnot). I also have a decent-sized lynx library and would only need code and a schematic if parts were an issue. :)

Ive got a rework station as well, its amazing how many Lynx enthusiasts we have here that have an electronics or programming background...

#44 karri OFFLINE  

karri

River Patroller

• 2,587 posts

Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:37 AM

Hmm. This makes me think about the "Black pearl". I have a design of a new kind of flash cart that I nicknamed the "Black pearl". Too much Pirates of the Caribbean probably. In any case I have components for 86 carts collecting dust and they will probably never see the daylight.

These carts are like my old devflash but they have an i2c parallell port instead of dip-switches. The idea is to run a rom-selector at bootup, change the i2c switches to point to a new area and give a reboot to start the game at the new area.

The flashes are StrataFlash-types which means that the Lynx can read and write the data directly without external help.

The chips may be too old for easy soldering. I don't know.

I could share the schematics and board layout with people who are interested. We could fix the design before making the order. Then I could put the chips in a small plastic bag and snailmail the stuff to other people who can solder their own carts.

Anyone interested?

--
Karri

#45 LX.NET OFFLINE  

LX.NET

Dragonstomper

• 765 posts

Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:50 AM

Hmm. This makes me think about the "Black pearl". I have a design of a new kind of flash cart that I nicknamed the "Black pearl". Too much Pirates of the Caribbean probably. In any case I have components for 86 carts collecting dust and they will probably never see the daylight.

These carts are like my old devflash but they have an i2c parallell port instead of dip-switches. The idea is to run a rom-selector at bootup, change the i2c switches to point to a new area and give a reboot to start the game at the new area.

The flashes are StrataFlash-types which means that the Lynx can read and write the data directly without external help.

I could share the schematics and board layout with people who are interested. We could fix the design before making the order. Then I could put the chips in a small plastic bag and snailmail the stuff to other people who can solder their own carts.

Anyone interested?

--
Karri

Definitely. Count me in. PM me for details, please.

#46 GadgetUK OFFLINE  

GadgetUK

Stargunner

• 1,945 posts

Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:42 AM

Anyone interested?

--
Karri

Count me in!!

#47 Atariman OFFLINE  

Atariman

River Patroller

• 2,128 posts
  • Made entirely from Atari parts!

Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:06 AM

I'd be interested as well, karri! Sounds cool!

#48 candle OFFLINE  

candle

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,793 posts

Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:22 AM

Karri, could you give me the specs for cartridge edge connector? (pitch, width and lenghts of contact pads?)

#49 karri OFFLINE  

karri

River Patroller

• 2,587 posts

Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:27 AM

I have uploaded it to the Eagle library as a PCB component called atarilynx.lbr.
The same library is in lynx.lbr

You can also just look at the gerbers.zip

The cart is small enough for the freeware Eagle CAD software.
--
Karri

All docs for my flash cart are included here
Attached File  devflash.zip   413.86KB   177 downloads

#50 candle OFFLINE  

candle

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,793 posts

Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:51 AM

Thanks,
I can't stand eagle, but i can view gerber files with altuim designer i use