Photo

Lynx to VGA

564 replies to this topic

#476 Uzumaki OFFLINE  

Uzumaki

River Patroller

• 2,320 posts

Posted Sun Jul 6, 2014 8:22 PM

Same.  A few lucky beta tester paid him several hundred PLN (under $100 usd) to help him get the supplies together and send out the prototypes for the testers to play with.

#477 RupanIII OFFLINE  

RupanIII

Moonsweeper

• 362 posts

Posted Sun Jul 6, 2014 8:56 PM

Hmm, if Beta was under $100 then maybe final costs will be as well. 

That's good. I could use a bunch of them for referbs laying around. 

#478 Lynxpro OFFLINE  

Lynxpro

River Patroller

• 3,741 posts

Posted Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:45 PM

It's too late to vote but I'd prefer to use a JagPad/PowerPad instead of a Genesis pad. Keep it in the Atari family! :)

#479 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 7,279 posts
  • Armchair Arcade Managing Director

Posted Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:59 PM

It's too late to vote but I'd prefer to use a JagPad/PowerPad instead of a Genesis pad. Keep it in the Atari family! :)

I'd rather have the support for the far more ubiquitous gamepad, which is still being manufactured today (a version of the excellent six button Genesis pad). Besides, while the six button JagPad is excellent, I think a notable percentage of us feel the original Jaguar controller is dreadful. Obviously, the six button JagPad is even rarer than the relatively rare original.

#480 RupanIII OFFLINE  

RupanIII

Moonsweeper

• 362 posts

Posted Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:47 PM

I'd rather have the support for the far more ubiquitous gamepad, which is still being manufactured today (a version of the excellent six button Genesis pad). Besides, while the six button JagPad is excellent, I think a notable percentage of us feel the original Jaguar controller is dreadful. Obviously, the six button JagPad is even rarer than the relatively rare original.

Oh i'm hoping just a Sega Genesis pad so i can grab a Sega 6 from Hyperkin at least. 

Edited by RupanIII, Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:47 PM.

#481 108 Stars OFFLINE  

108 Stars

River Patroller

• 2,277 posts

Posted Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:27 AM

While I think the Propad is okay, it is just that imo... okay. Excellency is still a good deal away due to th cunky ergonomy. I definitely prefer both Genesis and SNES controllers. Dualshock, Xbox large and small, Dreamcast, Saturn... all of them are still better imo.

And as Bill said, a major concern should be that pads are still easy to get.

#482 bluemonday OFFLINE  

bluemonday

Star Raider

• 57 posts

Posted Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:58 PM

I've been lurking on here but following this thread with interest.

I'm not that technical but am definitely interested in one of these if the final product is easy to install and comes in at under $100.

#483 Jet-X OFFLINE  

Jet-X

Chopper Commander

• 164 posts

Posted Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:44 PM

Looking at this, I'd love to see not only an external VGA adapter, but an overall internal screen replacement.  Hell, I'd pay for not only a screen replacement but rechargeable lithium battery install.

#484 jbserra OFFLINE  

jbserra

Space Invader

• 17 posts

Posted Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:50 PM

Looking at this, I'd love to see not only an external VGA adapter, but an overall internal screen replacement.  Hell, I'd pay for not only a screen replacement but rechargeable lithium battery install.

This IS for an internal screen replacement.  Candle intends to also include the video output as an added bonus since he has access to the video information.

Now, the battery upgrade would be sweet too, especially with the multi-cart project which I heard may suck more power.

Edited by jbserra, Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:50 PM.

#485 Jet-X OFFLINE  

Jet-X

Chopper Commander

• 164 posts

Posted Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:00 PM

This IS for an internal screen replacement.  Candle intends to also include the video output as an added bonus since he has access to the video information.

My bad - I know an external VGA adapter has been requested for years and seeing the title of the thread, assumed that's what was happening.  Best news I've heard yet.

#486 Uzumaki OFFLINE  

Uzumaki

River Patroller

• 2,320 posts

Posted Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:15 PM

It is both LCD replacement and external video out. Depending on what you do, you could replace the LCD and not connect the VGA port or cut an opening, or make an opening and not replace the LCD (consolize it?), or do both.

I have a second Lynx that is waiting. I've already hacked in a PSOne controller adapter so I could play with controller instead of holding the system.  

#487 RupanIII OFFLINE  

RupanIII

Moonsweeper

• 362 posts

Posted Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:30 AM

It is both LCD replacement and external video out. Depending on what you do, you could replace the LCD and not connect the VGA port or cut an opening, or make an opening and not replace the LCD (consolize it?), or do both.

I have a second Lynx that is waiting. I've already hacked in a PSOne controller adapter so I could play with controller instead of holding the system.  

Honestly, i'd use a thin molex or a DB9 connector of some sort, and then a dongle to HB15 for the VGA adapter. The system is bulky enough for a full VGA though. Everyone should also probably make note of the power and headphone connectors, they were put WAY to close together. I need to see if I can solder in a fuse or something that resets itself to the power port, because the power plug into the headphone jack reportedly killed alot of them. 

#488 Uzumaki OFFLINE  

Uzumaki

River Patroller

• 2,320 posts

Posted Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:46 AM

Physically, DB9 and HD15 are the same size.  I don't know what type of connector it's going to be, it depends on what candle can do when he gets back on the project.  

#489 SainT OFFLINE  

SainT

Stargunner

• 1,081 posts

Posted Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:48 AM

Now, the battery upgrade would be sweet too, especially with the multi-cart project which I heard may suck more power.

It should be no worse than the old carts. The 3.3v supply for the SD card is going to be disabled while the card is not in use and I will try and sleep the PIC whenever possible.

#490 RupanIII OFFLINE  

RupanIII

Moonsweeper

• 362 posts

Posted Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:28 AM

Physically, DB9 and HD15 are the same size.  I don't know what type of connector it's going to be, it depends on what candle can do when he gets back on the project.  

I think he's just giving us soldering pads and it's make your own port on the video out. 

A thin connector is one option, like a straight 8 pin molex, or MiniDB , not full DB. I'm just looking at less overhead on the system end. 

HB15 is just kind of large, BUT, the Lynx has room. 

Edited by RupanIII, Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:31 AM.

#491 Lynxpro OFFLINE  

Lynxpro

River Patroller

• 3,741 posts

Posted Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:15 AM

It's not related to this except it is an impressive mod. There's a video on YouTube - I believe it's in French - of a user modding his Lynx II into outputting Bluetooth audio...

#492 RupanIII OFFLINE  

RupanIII

Moonsweeper

• 362 posts

Posted Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:54 AM

Sorry, i was up too late. I meant MiniDIN or DIN not DB. Should have been snoozing. 

#493 RupanIII OFFLINE  

RupanIII

Moonsweeper

• 362 posts

Posted Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:55 AM

It's not related to this except it is an impressive mod. There's a video on YouTube - I believe it's in French - of a user modding his Lynx II into outputting Bluetooth audio...

That's pretty good. Did they take apart a small bluetooth device with stereo in and solder the LR audio to the input pads? 

Sounds doable! 

#494 Lynxpro OFFLINE  

Lynxpro

River Patroller

• 3,741 posts

Posted Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:53 AM

That's pretty good. Did they take apart a small bluetooth device with stereo in and solder the LR audio to the input pads? 

Sounds doable! 

#495 RupanIII OFFLINE  

RupanIII

Moonsweeper

• 362 posts

Posted Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:19 PM

Do you know what BT device that was? would love to give that a try, i could probably stuff into some Nomads too with screen replacements!

#496 Michael David Morsette OFFLINE  

Michael David Morsette

Dragonstomper

• 842 posts
  • 474|2!

Posted Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:11 PM

Ah, Rygar and his awesome creations! ALL BOW TO RYGAR!!

#497 rygar OFFLINE  

rygar

Chopper Commander

• 240 posts

Posted Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:56 PM

Oh yes this is one of my Lynx modding. And for once one that works well :-D

You can use any bluetooth transmitter you can find on the web for only $10

For exemple :

http://www.ebay.fr/i...=item1c4348c53f

Just careful that the transmitter is compatible with your receiver.

#498 TXG/MNX OFFLINE  

TXG/MNX

River Patroller

• 3,637 posts

Posted Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:50 PM

I really hope this lcd for the lynx will be released... but the project seems to be old and not much info except this thread....

#499 108 Stars OFFLINE  

108 Stars

River Patroller

• 2,277 posts

Posted Mon Sep 1, 2014 9:03 AM

I still believe it will come. Look at the 7800 XM or some homebrews to see how long this stuff can take.

My only gripe is that seeing how late it is, I will not be able to define two seperate palettes for Green Little Quak-Quak before release. I planned to do that for all future homebrews, a selection between a muted palette for LCD modded units that naturally have higher contrast and saturation by default, and the standard palette where I use stronger colors to make up for the outdated screen.

#500 RupanIII OFFLINE  

RupanIII

Moonsweeper

• 362 posts

Posted Mon Sep 1, 2014 11:10 AM

I just really want to build one for myself and put a bunch of other Lynx 2's back in circulation. 

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users