IGNORED

Steering wheel stand ideas?

HatefulGravey

I have a few weeks off next month and a friend of mine and I have been having a pile of fun with arcade racers of late. This got us to talking about racing wheels and I decided I would get one only if I had a good way to use the thing. I looked around at stands and they are all pretty pricy and most are made of PVS or things like it. Leading me to believe I could build one with little fuss.

Does anyone know of good plans to knock one out? I have time and money, just need a good idea of how to get this done. It would be great if it folded up a good bit for storage as space is a factor here.

The measurements matter and I don't know enough to judge by the look of it. My wife would do much better at that than I will. I had the thought to try to reproduce something from just pictures if I had to, but there has to be a site out there somewhere with real plans for something like this. I'm just at work and riding a thin line so searching too much for gaming gear might put me over that line ;) .

OK, let me say that I know this probaly wont be what you want, but maybe someone will want to adopt it. I have a home made driving wheel stand; it is as heavy-duty as can be as it is made out of 40 pounds of steel:

post-26465-0-52206100-1348369605_thumb.jpg

post-26465-0-35492700-1348369595_thumb.jpg

Not sure if it is viewable in the pics, but both the wheel and pedal areas have a flange around the circumference that is designed for a PS1 MadCatz setup. It is really too high for using on the couch, but just right for a dining room chair.

I have no need for it, I just didn't want to see it be scrapped after someone put all the work and love into it. If anyone local (or coming to PRGE wants it) it is theirs!

The problem with the folding table in front of the TV for me is they are all to small for me to put my feet under. I am in a very odd position when I try to do this. Thankfully my wife has been building homes for north of 5 years and has become very handy with the tools needed. She also has a strong arts and crafts background so for her this is the perfect project. I explained what I wanted and I think she has designed 5 different stands already. We are just working out which would be best. I'll have something to post soon if things go well.

She also has a strong arts and crafts background so for her this is the perfect project. I explained what I wanted and I think she has designed 5 different stands already. .

Do any of those designs require large amounts of heavy steel plating? No? Well, it was worth a shot...........

Do any of those designs require large amounts of heavy steel plating? No? Well, it was worth a shot...........

Yeah, no heavy metal for me thanks. I have to be able to move the thing around some and all her designs fold up for easy storage. I'll more than likely be making this from wood as that is what she is most like to work with and it will be a better quality item when its done. I hope to get the steering wheel this weekend. The prices on those vary a lot and the quality doesn't seem tied to price. One could easily spend $300 on a crap steering wheel it seems. I wanted the offcial xbox 360 wheel but new prices are insane and there are other options for better money in the new market. I haven't decided yet.

I briefly looked into building one before buying the wheelstand pro. The price on them is awfully painful, but it's a *very* solid stand, that turns totally invisible to the senses when in play, and it folds (but it's rather a pain in the ass to do so). I started looking into the effort of building something similar, and opted to just buy one--but the design is good and well worth a copy. I like it a lot more than any of the other couch setups I've seen.

I thought about copying its design because it could easily be adjusted to be made out of threaded pipe, which a lot of home improvement stores will cut for a modest fee--no need to purchase expensive tools. It's heavy, but that's not exactly a down side. If the folding and height adjustment features were nixed, it'd be almost easy. Plumbers tape, pre-cut pipes, a few tees/plates/clamps, lots of muscle.

LINK (though I'm pretty sure anybody looking at stands has seen these)

I searched for a guide from somebody making their own, and came up short. My guess is that $150 stopped looking so bad when they were pushing their shopping cart through the pipe aisle.

---------------------------------------------

edit: for *really* cheap and easy, maybe a set of pre-built sawhorse brackets and taller than normal 2x4's. Have the ones in back longer so the whole thing tilts closer to the couch. Wheel would be attached to a board screwed across the top. Using the premade brackets keeps it easy, but lets you make it narrower and taller than a standard sawhorse. Seems like it might not be quite stable enough to keep from tilting forward with force feedback--but there's only one way to find out.

Edited by Reaperman

I know you purists will poo poo the Microsoft Speed Wheel, but it's a lot of fun, especially after you play with the dead zone settings. It doesn't have force feedback. It only has vibration feedback. But it's really responsive and you don't need to have any stand. Finish racing and put it in a drawer.

It has accelerometers on all axes which means potentially, it could be used for flight sims.

The negatives I have is you only have 180 degrees of motion which can be a problem on the really tight hairpin tracks where your car has to drop to near zero speeds (I'm thinking Hockenburg). And it doesn't have the bumper buttons which reduces functionality. And it doesn't have a headset mic so you're going to need a wireless headset or a Kinect to talk to your friends.

But once you adapt to the wheel, it's a pretty amazing experience. The thing with a traditional game controller is that you often steer by bumping the stick or by letting the stick return to center. Plus, the wheel can be bought for cheap! It's often on sale for around $30.

here are the settings I use for Forza Motorsport 4:

If anyone has settings they feel are better for this wheel, please let me know!:

steering axis deadzone inside: 0

steering axis deadzone outside: 40

acceleration axis deadzone inside: 0

acceleration axis deadzone outside: 40

deceleration axis deadzone inside: 0

deceleration axis deadzone outside: 40

clutch axis deadzone inside: 0

clutch axis deadzone outside: 40

handbrake axis deadzone inside: 0

handbrake axis deadzone outside: 40

vibration scale: 100

The default Turn10 settings (which I don't like):

steering axis deadzone inside: 1

steering axis deadzone outside: 95

acceleration axis deadzone inside: 15

acceleration axis deadzone outside: 100

deceleration axis deadzone inside: 15

deceleration axis deadzone outside: 95

clutch axis deadzone inside: 15

clutch axis deadzone outside: 90

handbrake axis deadzone inside: 0

handbrake axis deadzone outside: 100

vibration scale: 100

I tried turning down the numbers even further but it became just way too sensitive where slight twitches would affect the car and made me steer like a statue.

Edited by onlysublime

Are you talking about the wheel you just hold up and play the game with? Like the thing they made for the Nintendo Wii release of Mario Kart? I can't imagine that being very much fun at all. I really just want this for Forza and I can't see how the little handheld thing would add anything to that game over what the standard controller, which is actually really good for racing games IMO. Its not that I'm a purist or anything, I just avoid controllers that look like a gimmic, and that one certainly does to me.

The speed wheel is definitely above the Wii because the Wiimote control sensors aren't sensitive enough. The speed wheel has acclerometers for all axes.

When set to your preferences, the speed wheel is a lot of fun. It does have some shortcomings which I listed above. I've won races with it so it won't hold you back. I think I'm better overall with the standard controller than the speed wheel. But I can say that about the standard controller over any traditional wheel that's under $300 too.

Ehh, having the wheel set up right makes a monsterous difference really. That is why I haven't had a wheel for the 360 to this point. If you have to use the wheel in your lap it isn't worth having the wheel, the position is not natural at all. Putting this on a stand so you can use it in a way that is more like a real car that any adult would be more used to adds some reaslism to the game and because you are more used to the position it makes it more natural to drive.

It's not the position of the game steering wheel that makes it "more natural" or easier to drive. It's good force feedback. The biggest reason (besides game physics) why gaming steering wheels have paled in comparison to real life is in real life, you can feel the road. You can feel the interaction of the wheels with the road. Like when I took a car up to 130 MPH that didn't have much downforce, it was downright scary because the car started to lift off the road and I could barely feel the road. You might not realize how scary it is to not feel the road below you so I immediately left off the gas.

In a real car, you can accelerate through a turn and feel the edge before your car loses grip so you can tell when to let off the gas. In a real car, you can feel the brake pressure up to the point before the wheels lock and release before you lock (or you can feel the pumping of the ABS if your car has ABS). In a real car, you can feel the clutch grabbing. There's so much missing in the experience with today's steering wheels. That said, any wheel makes the driving experience more fun even if technically, you can probably do better with a standard controller.

If setting up the wheel on a folding table does it for you, more power to you.

I just ordered the Thrustmaster that has been mentioned here a few times from Amazon. Over night shipping on that thing listed at $10! I'm not sure how that worked out, and I'm almost certain it is a mistake, but they took my money and the email says 1 day shipping. The expected date says tomorrow but I'm sure that can't be right. Its 4pm now, there is no way they get that to me tomorrow, maybe if I had ordered that before 8am or something. Either way, this is odd enough to me to make me a bit anxious about it actually, but I'll let you all know something as soon as I get this in.

The steering wheel came in today. I'm very impressed with the shipping on this thing. It isn't heavy, but to get the steering wheel to me over nigh when I ordered it so late is very impressive, and for only $10 it can't be beaten.

As for the steering wheel, I can already tell you its pretty nice. If you don't have a stand for it don't bother however. I haven't built one yet, I was waiting to get the right measurements, but I tried clamping this to a table and such and it is a pain in the butt. Also, this thing has the spring in it that "centers" it. The problem is it will over shoot the crap out of center and bounce back and forth. So you can't just let the wheel return to center and keep going, you have to actually control the wheel back to center. Just something to get used to, but I think in the end this will be fun.

More as it develops, as they say.