I am officially starting the ColecoVision Super Game Module (SGM) ordering process today. Here is some information about the SGM:
The SGM is a small device that plugs into the ColecoVision expansion port and increases the console RAM memory and sound capabilities. With the SGM you can run especially designed games that offer more complex gameplay than ever before. And of course arcade ports that play just like the real thing.
- Increases ColecoVision RAM memory from 1KB to 32KB
- Doubles the ColecoVision and ADAM sound capabilities
- Adds a power LED to the ColecoVision
- Compatible with both the ColecoVision and ADAM
- Uses a custom plastic case based on classic Coleco design
- Comes with professionally printed box, manual and catalogs. Packaging mimics the classic ColecoVision packaging design circa 1982/83, so it will match your ColecoVision collection nicely.
- Officially licensed Coleco product
Availability: I am aiming for February 2013, but please read "Conditions" below for more information.
- Minimum orders:
manufacturing will NOT start until 150 orders are reached. Depending on when that number is reached, the planned release date might be pushed back. I currently have 240 names in my pre-order list, so hopefully the number will be reached quickly.Reached.
- Maximum orders: maximum # of orders for the first run is 220 devices, due to logistic constraints. Further runs are possible if and when another 50 orders are reached. Price for additional runs may vary.
Games planned for 2013: Donkey Kong (new port of the arcade game), Goonies (action adventure based on the popular movie), Knightmare (action shooter from Konami), Space Invaders Collection 10th Anniversary (enhanced version of the popular CV game), Yie Ar Kung-Fu II - The Emperor Yie Gah (much improved sequel for the classic fighting game series), Zanac (popular shooter from Compile).
- Does the SGM improve my existing ColecoVision games?
No, to take advantage of the SGM you need to use especially created SGM games.
- Does the SGM have its own cartridge slot?
No, SGM games are just like regular CV games and plugs into the CV cartridge slot.
- Do I need to remove the SGM to play regular games?
No, you don't. The SGM is compatible with virtually every ColecoVision game.
- Can I use the SGM with my ADAM?
Yes, you can.
- Why are you taking orders before the SGM is ready to ship? Why is it so expensive?
The SGM project is very expensive. The total cost for 200 units is $16,000US. Because of that I cannot pay for the whole manufacturing out of my pocket. The SGM uses a custom printed board, plastic case and packing, all professionally designed and manufactured and thus very expensive to manufacture in low volumes.
- Wasn't Donkey Kong supposed to be a launch game? Why has it been delayed to 2013?
Unfortunately, due to time and budget constraints I was forced to delay the game to be able to concentrate on the SGM and most of the launch day games.
- So is everything in place to start manufacturing of the SGM?
Kind of. The packing is missing pictures of the SGM, because we need the final plastic case for that, as the prototype 3D printed case isn't the correct color, and lacks the proper finishing that only a plastic mold can offer. So the first component that must be ordered is the case mold. The PCB is still going beta, but so far so good, we had a minor rev in the process to compensate for a ColecoVision design flaw that was giving us an out of sync video after power ons exclusively with regular CV games, but that has been fixed and I am now waiting for rev E. So we are going to probably have an extra month of beta before we go to manufacturing. But as long as I place the order for the boards by November, we should have the SGM in time for Christmas.
Some pictures and screenshots (check below):
- The prototype SGM. Final case will be black, with the exact same finishing as the CV sides. The name plate uses the same silver material that Coleco used with their CV stuff. Interestingly Coleco used a PVC material for the name plates, even though they look like metal.
- Screenshots of the manual, catalog and box.The box designed was ordered from a professional printer to make sure it will assemble perfect and offers the proper sturdiness you might expect from such a box.
[EDIT]: List of announced Super Game Module games ====================================
Games available with the Super Game Module:
- Dragon's Lair (port of the ADAM game, originally planned as a Super Game for the never released Super Game Module from 1983). *
- Zaxxon Super Game (another ADAM game, originally planned as a Super Game for the never released Super Game Module from 1983) *
- King's Valley (port of a MSX game from Konami)
- Thexder (port of the MSX game by Game Arts) *
- Rollerball (port of the MSX game by HAL. produced by Satoru Iwata, current Nintendo president)
- Spelunker *
- Stone of Wisdom *
- Zanac *
- Knightmare *
- Goonies *
- Yie Ar Kung-Fu II - The Emperor Yie Gah *
- Donkey Kong **
- Space Invaders Collection 10th Anniversary **
** Super Game Cartridge game
[EDIT]: Production status ===============================================
Plastic Case: Mold done, cases received
Foam insert: Received
Orders so far: 220
Edited by opcode, Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:28 PM.