IGNORED

Super Game Module now available for order

opcode

No game will be provided with the module?

So if i'm interrested by the module only for donkey kong , when i will receive the module i will have no way to test if it works before Donkey kong is released?

Seeing as the SGM is not going to be a "one production run" / limited availability item, you could wait for DKA to be released and then order both items from Opcode at the same time.

Ok, 4 things:

1) No game included with the SGM. I believe we had a poll about that a while ago. And there is the whole copyright issue with the SGM being a licensed Coleco product. Finally, as I mentioned, the total project cost is $16k (I will disclose a fully documented breakdown in the near future). Including a game would have only raise the costs even more for a game that not everybody would have been interested on. BTW, until we reach 200 units sold not a single penny is being made of the sales. In fact until we get to 200 units I am loosing money, so it is all a very risky proposition for me. This project is being done solely out of my desire to fulfill an old time dream, and my devotion to the CV.

2) Each SGM game will include a diagnostic program that you can use to check the health of your SGM

3) Remember that there is no guarantee that there will be another run, as I would need another 50 orders or so for that, otherwise the economics start to get out of control. So supposing we end getting barely 150 orders by the time I place the order for the PCBs (which will come assembled btw). Then it is quite possible there will be another run. On the other hand, if we are closer to 240 in the order spectrum then it would take quite a while if ever to reach another 50 orders. PMC took 4 years to reach 300 copies sold, at half the price. So my suggestion is, if you really want a SGM order now.

4) While in the homebrew business there is never guarantee of anything, I am releasing the SGM as the platform for many games to come, especially arcade ports. This is not an "one trick pony" platform for running Donkey Kong.

Edited by opcode
  • Like 1

edouardo you can try to maximise your publicity youl probably reach your 150 orders on atariage but spread the word on other forum

facebook twitter etc

coders could also help you out on their website linking tha you are now talking orders

Yes, I will do that. Albert will have the news posted on AA's front page, I am going to post on Digital Press forums, Youtube, etc. We are close to 90 orders now.

Ok, 4 things:

1) No game included with the SGM. I believe we had a poll about that a while ago. And there is the whole copyright issue with the SGM being a licensed Coleco product. Finally, as I mentioned, the total project cost is $16k (I will disclose a fully documented breakdown in the near future). Including a game would have only raise the costs even more for a game that not everybody would have been interested on. BTW, until we reach 200 units sold not a single penny is being made of the sales. In fact until we get to 200 units I am loosing money, so it is all a very risky proposition for me. This project is being done solely out of my desire to fulfill an old time dream, and my devotion to the CV.

2) Each SGM game will include a diagnostic program that you can use to check the health of your SGM

3) Remember that there is no guarantee that there will be another run, as I would need another 50 orders or so for that, otherwise the economics start to get out of control. So supposing we end getting barely 150 orders by the time I place the order for the PCBs (which will come assembled btw). Then it is quite possible there will be another run. On the other hand, if we are closer to 240 in the order spectrum then it would take quite a while if ever to reach another 50 orders. PMC took 4 years to reach 300 copies sold, at half the price. So my suggestion is, if you really want a SGM order now.

4) While in the homebrew business there is never guarantee of anything, I am releasing the SGM as the platform for many games to come, especially arcade ports. This is not an "one trick pony" platform for running Donkey Kong.

Eduardo-

Maybe this was brought up before but did you ever consider using a site like kickstarter for the SGM? Even at this point I think it might be viable, since you are pretty much at the point of production so all the real work has already been done.

You could probably raise even more funds by offering special packages on a few units like I see so many do on kickstarter (e.g. have a few signed by you, have peoples names added to the manual, maybe have a few or just one with a clear or smoke colored case etc.).

Throw in a "breakfast with Eduardo" or something for the top top tier. Sounds silly I know, but you never know what people are willing to pay to help fund a project.

We are getting closer and closer to 100 orders. I think this is very promising. From now on orders should slow down quite a bit, but on the other hand I guess a lot of people may not have the money right now, as we are close to the end of month.

Anyways, I think we got to a very promising start and I am now considering to place the order for the case mold this Monday. The sooner we get the case, the sooner we can take the pictures to finish the packaging. And besides I guess some people would get an extra incentive to place an order once they see some concrete results.

Somewhat related, I hope to start beta testing the first SGM game today. A couple more to follow next week. I will post a video once I have they done.

• Like 2

While in the homebrew business there is never guarantee of anything, I am releasing the SGM as the platform for many games to come, especially arcade ports. This is not an "one trick pony" platform for running Donkey Kong.

I think , you don't care too much about oversea "market". but here in europe when you read forums and various post about your SGM , People share same concern as me with your SGM.

The fact is , for instance we can easly buy a MSX computer + Knightmare for about 50 USD. ( and most of MSX game between 10 and 30 Usd) .

Your module is (including shipping) : 100 USD + i guess around 60USD for Knight mare... so we have to spend 160 USD to play the more or less exact same game than we can could play at 50 USD .

The only interrest for europeen in your game module would be your awesome Arcade Ports . And for now, there is not. Except donkey kong which announced and close to completion but not released when the module will be released.

so in a certain way, it stucks the order "oversea".

I think , you don't care too much about oversea "market". but here in europe when you read forums and various post about your SGM , People share same concern as me with your SGM.

The fact is , for instance we can easly buy a MSX computer + Knightmare for about 50 USD. ( and most of MSX game between 10 and 30 Usd) .

Your module is (including shipping) : 100 USD + i guess around 60USD for Knight mare... so we have to spend 160 USD to play the more or less exact same game than we can could play at 50 USD .

The only interrest for europeen in your game module would be your awesome Arcade Ports . And for now, there is not. Except donkey kong which announced and close to completion but not released when the module will be released.

so in a certain way, it stucks the order "oversea".

Okay, so the european homebrew market is different from the north-american homebrew market, because the MSX is actually known there, and available for cheap.

I'm sorry to have to say this to you, but the ColecoVision is an american system. Yes, it was released in Europe, but it hardly made its mark there. It was such a minor machine in Europe that it took 73 issues before Retro Gamer magazine finally presented an article devoted to the ColecoVision. The Atari 2600 got covered multiple times in RG over the first 72 issues, while the CV was barely mentioned here and there!

Even today, Europe is a minor player where the CV is concerned. Only a tiny fraction of Team Pixelboy's customers are located somewhere in Europe. The very large majority of them live in the US and Canada, and most of those customers never owned an MSX computer, especially when they were kids. So for them, MSX ports like Circus Charlie and Knightmare seem like brand new games that are worth buying.

Also, I can say that most of Team Pixelboy's european customers are collectors who will purchase any quality title I release, even the MSX ports. So I don't know who you've been talking to on european forums, but I suspect they don't buy CV homebrews to begin with.

Since the CV homebrew customer base is mostly north-american, that's who the CV homebrew developers/publishers cater to, for the most part. So if the upcoming SGM launch games are uninteresting to European retrogamers, well, I'm sorry, but that doesn't change much of anything in our small but dedicated CV homebrew community.