Photo

Anyone have problems with a Gemini/clone?

12 replies to this topic

#1 dobidy OFFLINE  

dobidy

Chopper Commander

• 163 posts
  • Boot to the Head!

Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012 8:50 AM

Just bought the Harmony cart and it works great on all of my consoles except the Gemini. It seems to be hit or miss with it. It works fine, next load the menus scroll and stop randomly or stick on one game. I tried it on a couple of Gemini and then back into a Heavy 6'er, Sears Telegames and a couple of juniors...works fine until it is back into the Gemini.
Just wondering if anyone had the same problems.
Thanks,
Dobidy

#2 batari OFFLINE  

batari

)66]U('=I;B$*

• 6,680 posts
  • begin 644 contest

Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012 5:03 PM

Yes, the problem is the controller. It is a joystick/paddle combo and it detects as a paddle. To bypass the detectio, hold down the fire button on boot.

#3 dobidy OFFLINE  

dobidy

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 163 posts
  • Boot to the Head!

Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012 7:49 PM

Ahhhh! Awesome....I couldn't figure out why it was working intermittently. I was hitting the fire button, but only to match my curse words!
Haha....thanks!

#4 Amazin OFFLINE  

Amazin

Combat Commando

• 6 posts

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:21 PM

Oh, by the way, I use the Harmony on a Dynacom's Dynavision, a Brazilian 2600 clone, PAL-M/60Hz, and it works FLAWLESSLY, never saw any game crash, or anything. Harmony is perfect on the Dynavision.

#5 dobidy OFFLINE  

dobidy

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 163 posts
  • Boot to the Head!

Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:48 PM

Cool....I tried to test it on all of my systems.....although I didn't try it on the Colecovision expansion.

I have a preference for the Gemini....much better response from the joysticks and easier to use. Although my kids have a hard time using them.....they are used to the Xbox!

Edited by dobidy, Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:48 PM.

#6 Ethaniel OFFLINE  

Ethaniel

Moonsweeper

• 271 posts
  • bored...

Posted Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:13 PM

I don't have a Gemini but I made a controller following this schematic http://x2jiggy.com/b...controller.html

The machine always sees the controller as paddle unless i am doing something wrong.

Anyone cares to give me a hint?

#7 alex_79 OFFLINE  

alex_79

Stargunner

• 1,199 posts

Posted Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:40 PM

In that schematic there's a switch to redirect the firebutton, but the paddle pot is always connected so the Harmony menu will see it even with the switch set to "joystick". To bypass the autodetection you must keep the firebutton pressed (with the switch in "joystick" position) while powering the console. A better solution would be to use a DPDT switch so that in joystick mode pin 7 is disconnected from the paddle pot.

joypaddlecombo.jpg

#8 Ethaniel OFFLINE  

Ethaniel

Moonsweeper

• 271 posts
  • bored...

Posted Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:15 AM

In that schematic there's a switch to redirect the firebutton, but the paddle pot is always connected so the Harmony menu will see it even with the switch set to "joystick". To bypass the autodetection you must keep the firebutton pressed (with the switch in "joystick" position) while powering the console. A better solution would be to use a DPDT switch so that in joystick mode pin 7 is disconnected from the paddle pot.

attachicon.gifjoypaddlecombo.jpg

Oh great! I will try tonight. I guess that should work with 2 SPDT as well, right?

#9 Ethaniel OFFLINE  

Ethaniel

Moonsweeper

• 271 posts
  • bored...

Posted Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:31 PM

Oh great! I will try tonight. I guess that should work with 2 SPDT as well, right?

unfortunately it doesn't work :(

either i can't follow this simple schematic, or it's wrong.

it seems that my a2600 can't read the paddle now, both real paddle and combo controller.

It just goes from one end of the screen to the other in Breakout for example.

What should i check?

I still get 5V from no7 so it's not a power problem.

help :(

#10 alex_79 OFFLINE  

alex_79

Stargunner

• 1,199 posts

Posted Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:04 PM

I copied the schematic from the page posted above and just added the second switch on pin 7. After checking it against the paddle diagram, I can confirm that there's an error: the pot is NOT connected to ground (pin 8 ). So the correct schematic should be like this:

post-10599-0-54103600-1384817938.jpg

#11 Ethaniel OFFLINE  

Ethaniel

Moonsweeper

• 271 posts
  • bored...

Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:46 AM

Well, that is a small error, which doesn't harm anything. since i already tried grounding the pot from the first schematic i had.

The problem i have is that my console behaves strange now even with original paddle controllers. It is if the atari (2600AP 4SW) can not sense the pot.

first time i tried, the paddle would remain still and when the pot turned all the way around, the screen went bezerk like a short circuit :/

Now, it just doesnt work. No short circuit but the pot doesnt move (original)

#12 Ethaniel OFFLINE  

Ethaniel

Moonsweeper

• 271 posts
  • bored...

Posted Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:37 PM

I replaced TIA and used the original schematic. The machine was fried I guess.

It works fine now. I'll just have to live with Harmony detecting my combo joystick as paddle.

#13 shatterhand OFFLINE  

shatterhand

Combat Commando

• 7 posts

Posted Sun Jul 1, 2018 10:07 AM

Oh, by the way, I use the Harmony on a Dynacom's Dynavision, a Brazilian 2600 clone, PAL-M/60Hz, and it works FLAWLESSLY, never saw any game crash, or anything. Harmony is perfect on the Dynavision.

I bought a Dynavision last week, and my Harmony doesn't work with it. It crashes in less than 5 seconds turned on. 

The same Harmony crashes on my Polyvox 2600 after about 2 hours of continuous use and then it keeps crashing. I have to turn it off for a while after using it so I can use it again. 

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users